You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
klanx171

Kuma! HE spamming, torpedo spewing fun machine.

33 comments in this topic

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

I love playing in my Kuma, even when I loose the battle.

Why?

Because its the only ship in the IJN line (sorry have not played the other lines) which can keep a non stop stream of fire on an enemy while also being able to fill the water with torpedoes at the same time.

There are some tricks to playing in your Kuma and they are:

1. Don't go it alone. You will get spotted and you will get sunk! Kumas don't take return fire very well and sink faster than a sack of doorknobs thrown over the side. Find some Big Buddies to tag along with (get it, BBs!)

2. Strafe don't volley. By holding down the fire button instead of saving up those shells for one big volley you can keep a near continuous stream of shells raining down on your target

3. HE, HE and more HE!. Kuma's penetration is not very good but if your raining HE down on someone they will catch fire and keep on catching fire no matter how much they put it out.Forget the AP!

4. Torps one side, turn, then torps the other. When not raining HE you can spew torpedoes at the enemy in great number, both sides have multiple torpedo launchers (like all good IJN ships) and two full spreads is more than enough to hit something or drive them away

5. Let the battle start before you get involved. This may sound cowardly but see point 1. By letting your bigger friends kick things off you can move into a good position and line up your targets. Then once they are busy worrying about something else and the others incoming fire they will often not realize that its you frying them up with your HE

6. If under fire, apply the turn/switch rule. What is the turn/switch rule? You probably dont know as I just made up the turn but it means that you know how long it take for your rudder to go from extreme port to starboard. You then steer by counting back and forth, left to right, right to left as you shoot. This makes the ship maintain the general direction its heading in but it makes it swerve around so its not just sitting there soaking up the shots. It also means that you dont have to go out of binocular view much and can keep walking rounds down on the target. 

If you get this right you can not only destroy targets much bigger than you but also help your team mates by setting multiple targets ablaze (i got the 5 ships ablaze bonus first time out in my Kuma). The beauty of this approach is that even if the target is moving you can keep the fire dropping on them and once you know how they are turning the rounds just keep on dropping on them. I have had enemy ships make hard turns and go all evasive but to no avail as I know they are turning and start spam firing ahead of them meaning that they keep on getting hit.

Even DDs can have a hard time getting out of the way as most DD captains are used to dodging volleys which they can see coming and move accordingly. What they don't usually have much experience dealing with is non-stop hell-fire which is running right along with them.

Also the Kuma has about a 12k range so you dont have to get too close to make it rain.

The only drawback to this method is that you need to practice walking your rounds down on the target (which does not take long to learn as you can watch the rounds dropping and adjust accordingly) and that you do have to be mostly broadside to your target for the maximum number of guns to be brought to bear. But even when you are forced to start making full evasive maneuvers you can usually get up to three of your guns to remain firing and a fully modded Kuma can turn pretty fast and move fast so you can keep up the harassing fire even as you fall back/retreat.

But as I have said above you have to be part of a group to do this and the bigger the better, By yourself or in small numbers you and your Kuma will go down faster than a... well you get the idea.

You may not get max kills using this method but you will make a massive contribution to your side in the battle. The only time this is doomed to fail is when your team goes turtle or you get caught all by your lonesome out in the open, then nothing will save you.

It is a play style change for some players who move, shoot, move etc as this is just getting in and dishing it out but often the ROF and number of hits is so ferociously high that I have driven much bigger ships back once they run out their fire fighting ability yet the HE is still coming down on them.

There may be other such ships in other lines but since I don't play those I don't really know but I have never seen other ships.

So if you still have a Kuma or want a reason to get one there it is.

Have Fun!

Edited by klanx171

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

you know what i hate about kuma? whenever i saw a kuma spamming torpedo against a target >10km away or laughing a torpedo against a enemy dd who's having a knife fight against friendly dd.

such genius

much brain

520 posts
11,127 battles

Yup, she is a beast. A little redheaded fire starter! 

actually, i think he means that the Kuma... is one of the easiest ships to have its citadel penetrated even by DD ap shells.

I think another piece of advice for Kuma Captains....If possible, try to angle your ships... this way, its harder to One Shot it:)

One thing nice about the kuma..... though.... it is the" Workhorse" of the IJN:)

HAPPY HUNTING

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

you know what i hate about kuma? whenever i saw a kuma spamming torpedo against a target >10km away or laughing a torpedo against a enemy dd who's having a knife fight against friendly dd.

such genius

much brain

That may be some Kuma drivers, not all. Any ship with so many torpedo tubes was made to be spamming. Not watching for friendlies is just bad captaincy not ship design.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

actually, i think he means that the Kuma... is one of the easiest ships to have its citadel penetrated even by DD ap shells.

I think another piece of advice for Kuma Captains....If possible, try to angle your ships... this way, its harder to One Shot it:)

One thing nice about the kuma..... though.... it is the" Workhorse" of the IJN:)

HAPPY HUNTING

Yep, she does suffer if picked on but thats why I am not leading the charge in a Kuma. I always try to come in once the shooting has started and with a pack of BBs and CAs. Usually with bigger and juicer targets get all the attention in those situations. My first post was clear about her fragility if the center of attention.

Edited by klanx171

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Kuma is nice. Still thinking if I want to buy her back. 

Though I disagree on 2 points. Don't just rely on HE. Spam HE at DDs and BBs while AP CA/CL around your tier. 

Holding your shots for that mega salvo has it's points. I'd rather have an entire salvo since it guarantees hits on target even if it's only 1

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Yep, she does suffer if picked on but thats why I am not leading the charge in a Kuma. I always try to come in once the shooting has started and with a pack of BBs and CAs. Usually with bigger and juicer targets get all the attention in those situations. My first post was clear about her fragility if the center of attention.

I cannot tell if thats a good idea or not since im juz a pure noob cruiser player.

But all i can tell is really easy for USN and SN DD in the same tier to deal with the Kuma, get close pop smoke AP it to dead, but if Kuma angling its armor against me i found it still hard to Citadel even im a higher tier DD but still the Battleships are still able to rip you apart.

so i guess you doing the right things so sail with the fleet and do fire support, so some of those BB going to eat shells for you while you setting another team on fire like a christmas tree :D:D:D

anyways careful about the DD especially the SN DD with 130mm you pretty much going to get Citadel if you show your broadside.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

6. If under fire, apply the turn/switch rule. What is the turn/switch rule? You probably dont know as I just made up the turn but it means that you know how long it take for your rudder to go from extreme port to starboard. You then steer by counting back and forth, left to right, right to left as you shoot. This makes the ship maintain the general direction its heading in but it makes it swerve around so its not just sitting there soaking up the shots. It also means that you dont have to go out of binocular view much and can keep walking rounds down on the target. 

Yeah, uh, don't do this. Going full to port or starboard not only makes it pretty easy to anticipate your evasion, it also locks out the rudder in case you need to shift to the other side suddenly to deal with different threats, and furthermore, exposes your citadel a lot more than it should. Just tapping the rudder for a second or two is more than sufficient to generate a random evasion to throw off incoming shells.

2. Strafe don't volley. By holding down the fire button instead of saving up those shells for one big volley you can keep a near continuous stream of shells raining down on your target

Strafing is of debateable usefulness, tbh. On one hand, its all light damage, but on the other, if you know how to "walk" your HE fire up and down a ship, it allows you to set multiple fires. I generally prefer full broadsides - more accurate, more likelihood to splash onto multiple sections in a single salvo and force a panic response.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Yeah, uh, don't do this. Going full to port or starboard not only makes it pretty easy to anticipate your evasion, it also locks out the rudder in case you need to shift to the other side suddenly to deal with different threats, and furthermore, exposes your citadel a lot more than it should. Just tapping the rudder for a second or two is more than sufficient to generate a random evasion to throw off incoming shells.

Thank ill do so :D:D:D

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

this. i'm always waiting for cruiser to do that move. then release my full broadside of ap against them. i really love to see lots of their HP vaporize. :trollface: 

520 posts
11,127 battles

When i see a kuma when using my murmansk or farragut.... i become giddy and excited....  kuma citadel hitting becomes really fun.... but if the other captain knows what he is doing.... citadel hits just dont happen

103 posts
3,940 battles

I will say that Kuma has saved me from the brink of death at times. I've won a match with only 20 HP left. I knew I was going to die after an enemy shot some AP at me, but I heard a bounce, looked at the HP meter, did very little damage (the minimum the AP can do) and noticed it was on 20. A BB then blew the enemy up and it was match end.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Do you know what class of ship had i killed the most since CBT till now? It's KUMA-class! I have Kuma for breakfast, lunch and dinner... I have Kuma for appetizer. main course and dessert... I have Kuma on Monday till Sunday. I have at least 63 Kumas a week!

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Kuma is nice. Still thinking if I want to buy her back. 

Though I disagree on 2 points. Don't just rely on HE. Spam HE at DDs and BBs while AP CA/CL around your tier. 

Holding your shots for that mega salvo has it's points. I'd rather have an entire salvo since it guarantees hits on target even if it's only 1

Hmmm, I will have to try that. Normally I would do salvos in other ships but its just too tempting to spam away in my Kuma.:playing:

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Strafing is of debateable usefulness, tbh. On one hand, its all light damage, but on the other, if you know how to "walk" your HE fire up and down a ship, it allows you to set multiple fires. I generally prefer full broadsides - more accurate, more likelihood to splash onto multiple sections in a single salvo and force a panic response.

I cant speak for others but weaving from side to side in that manner has worked well for me as while your opponent can estimate the shot, the travel time to  target leaves gaps for me to slip in and out. I will admit it works better the better the angel of armor but the as the goal of spamming is to not be the main target of attack for the enemy your not spending a lot of time dodging shots.

As for Strafing I again can only speak whats worked well for me, strafing in a Kuma is viable simply because of the high ROF available, in other ships with less guns and lower ROF its not but the point of strafing is not just fire but being a constant distraction on the enemy with never ending strikes. An enemy struck with one good salvo or being constantly stuck with fire will probably show the panic response either way. I have had hit cains into the 40s using this method and left bigger ships burning and vulnerable. As I said above, I have driven of bigger and scarier ships simply due to constant hits while they were trying to focus on bigger targets.

The key point is the Kuma is a team player ship, not the assassin superstar that we all want to be.

Edited by klanx171

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Do you know what class of ship had i killed the most since CBT till now? It's KUMA-class! I have Kuma for breakfast, lunch and dinner... I have Kuma for appetizer. main course and dessert... I have Kuma on Monday till Sunday. I have at least 63 Kumas a week!

I wont deny Kumas have their weakness but the two key points of how I play them are a). being part of the pack so your not the sole, or most important target; and b). keeping up a steady stream of fire that both rattles and sets the enemy on fire repeatedly. The reason I started playing like this is most players do know the weakness of Kumas and will try and take them out with a big slavo. By hiding in the main body of the fleet and acting as fire support a Kuma can dish out damage without being the center of attention.

That said I have spent more than my fair share of time in my Kuma ducking and dodging when the other side gets the upper hand or my team can't follow though but that is not a detriment to the Kuma.

Edited by klanx171

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,501 battles

Nice write up. A good kuma player is a major PITA. Luckily most kuma drivers ( like most other CA/CL drivers) love to drive broadside on... citadel city nom nom nom.

Kuma has a nice turn of speed - I have to always remember to give a bit of extra lead when they are at full speed.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Little hint when weaving - don't always go the same way, randomise your turns and angles.

I have so much fun sinking ships that are doing a basic weave, since you become easy to predict.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Little hint when weaving - don't always go the same way, randomise your turns and angles.

I have so much fun sinking ships that are doing a basic weave, since you become easy to predict.

I should probably add that the back and forth weave is only when the heat is not on me. Its just to make anyone who is taking pot shots work for their hits. If I start taking ongoing fire I tend to break and hard turn until I can get some space/safety. If the heat is on I dodge and weave with the best of them.:medal:

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Hmmm, I will have to try that. Normally I would do salvos in other ships but its just too tempting to spam away in my Kuma.:playing:

Glorious citadels would come your way. With well placed shots scoring single or multiple citadels, you can eat CA/CL easily. 

I remember eating FTK and Aoba with citadels from Kuma

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Glorious citadels would come your way. With well placed shots scoring single or multiple citadels, you can eat CA/CL easily. 

I remember eating FTK and Aoba with citadels from Kuma

To be honest I have tried for the much vaunted Citadel hits and sometimes I do get them (specially in my Myoko) but normally the enemy is bobbing and weaving as much as me to really land any solid hits.

Also I prefer DDs most of all so I am usually planning just to sink them out right with torps :medal:

The feedback on this thread has made me wonder if I can try a volley fire strategy in  my Kuma again so maybe its time to try.