Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Muds_Revenge

How to calculate detectability range

10 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Does anyone know? Or is it simply trial and error?.

I'm about to do the OP dd line, and I saw on Jingles youtube vids that they only have some 200-400 meters between being able to fire while invisible, to being seen after firing.

If so, how come they are ALWAYS invisible when they attack me?.

Will the 5th captains skill, and camo improve my invisibility, and if so, by how much, in meters, or even kms?.

Things to consider:

Invisible without firing anything?

Sighted when firing torps?

Sighted when firing guns?

Sighted by planes?. (this is a nasty one, as enemy cv's seem to always spread their planes out so I literally cannot play dd's). Yet my team's of cv's never seem to light up enemy dd's....and yes we all turn off AA.

Consider best equipment, fittings and skills for DD's.

GO!.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Invisible without firing everything - look at your port concealment stat, add any modifiers you have (camouflage, captain skills, etc). Not exactly rocket science.

Firing torps does not change the concealment value.

Firing guns adds ~3-5km to the concealment range, active for several seconds.

Planes - refer to port concealment stat, plus modifiers. Note that most Russian DDs have AA ranges shorter than their concealment ranges, so turning off AA doesn't really do much for their camouflage. For DP-capable DDs, AA fire increases their concealment range.

Note that while Jingles has a pretty nice voice and generally enjoyable to watch, he's not the authoritative voice on game mechanics, so do take what he says with a grain of salt.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

Concealment plus camouflage and if you have a high enough captain (the bonus 5th level camo skill). Know it and stay above it if your a DD driver.

As Syanda says gun fire and enemy planes change that but these stats are easy to know so all you have to do is shut down your AA if your running silent.

Also terrain can help you remain hidden. Scooting along the side of an island knowing your target is just on the other side (and looking the other way) is a great way to get in close without being spotted.

Also if your gun fie is longer than your detectability then you can shoot appear briefly and then disappear again, like the phantom you should be.

If you have all of the basic stuff and the level five captains skill then you can get as close as 5.8KM before they pick you up but a more realistic range is between 6 and 7km for ships and about 2.5 to 3km for planes.

You can check these stats on your ship info screen. Knowing them will enable you to get a close as possible before taking the shot (and hence the less time they have to react and dodge).

Edited by klanx171

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

if you wanted invisifire you should get two important skill:

advance firing training: increase range and give more room to evade incoming enemy fire. cons same goes for the enemy.

concealment expert: most important captain skill for usn dd skill. even without advance firing training it allows you do to invisifire (i have tested it back in CBT using tier 9 flecher destroyer) but with only few hundred meters margin. also allows you to get close to enemy vessel and do torpedo drop.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I have my fubuki gun range out to 12kms now.

I do all the usual stuff like turn off aa, stick to islands etc.

However I notice if I fire my guns in defence as I try to flee, say from 8kms, my detected light stays on for some 10+ seconds, and I'll usually take fire from at least 3 ships at once, and that's usually the end of me.

But you say I can fire torps from any range, and it won't light me up?. I'm sure I have fired them many times, and I've been detected?.

Also I find that every game that has a cv, a fighter squadron is sent to light me up, every battle, no exaggeration, EVERY BATTLE.

How do I combat this?. I ask my teams cv's to cover me with their fighters, but they don't seem to do it, EVERY BATTLE.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I have my fubuki gun range out to 12kms now.

I do all the usual stuff like turn off aa, stick to islands etc.

However I notice if I fire my guns in defence as I try to flee, say from 8kms, my detected light stays on for some 10+ seconds, and I'll usually take fire from at least 3 ships at once, and that's usually the end of me.

But you say I can fire torps from any range, and it won't light me up?. I'm sure I have fired them many times, and I've been detected?.

Also I find that every game that has a cv, a fighter squadron is sent to light me up, every battle, no exaggeration, EVERY BATTLE.

How do I combat this?. I ask my teams cv's to cover me with their fighters, but they don't seem to do it, EVERY BATTLE.

yep, firing torps wont reveal your position so you can fire it near maximum detection range and leave without being detected. 

if you are being spotted by planes just turn on your AA. fubuki has decent aa and once he start loosing planes the cv player will probably full out their fighter away from you. this is also why hanging out with cruiser as a destroyer has benefits. you can spot dd for the cruiser to shoot (useful for shooing away pesky USN and RU dd that can hunt IJN DD) and spot fired torpedo so your cruiser has time to take action and evade them. while they will shoo away planes that might spot your position.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

Yeah i try to light ships for my bigger guns to fire on.

However today I had this scenario:

I get to 7kms from a bb and fire my torps, my detected alert comes on, and stays on, even as I steam directly AWAY from the threats, forover 10 seconds. 4 ships are firing on me and sink me. There were no planes and no enemy dd's.

Next battle I take my tirpitz out.

I'm steaming bow forward into 2 bb's and 2 cruisers, pounding them, I got over 30k dmg with 2 citadels in one salvo. 

SUDDENLY a set of torpedoes appear in front of me, and an enemy tier 7 dd appears for roughly 1 second at 6kms in front of me, doesn't pop smoke, but then disappears.

He continues to harass me, from a range between 5-6 kms in front, remaining invisible, and spamming torps when ever he can. Any time he does become visible, it's for 1 second only, and not enough time for me to even bear my guns.

So, how come this guy got all "manhatten project" on me, but when I try in a dd, from a longer range, it doesn't work?. How come I remain lit for so long? Am I missing a skill?.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,416 battles

43gTJUJ.png

6) Profit :medal:

Soviet guns has ridiculous high penalty for this.

Fully upgrade Tashkent with Captain skill + mods has only a few hundred invisi fire range

Credits to iChase, NA player

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Yeah i try to light ships for my bigger guns to fire on.

However today I had this scenario:

I get to 7kms from a bb and fire my torps, my detected alert comes on, and stays on, even as I steam directly AWAY from the threats, forover 10 seconds. 4 ships are firing on me and sink me. There were no planes and no enemy dd's.

Next battle I take my tirpitz out.

I'm steaming bow forward into 2 bb's and 2 cruisers, pounding them, I got over 30k dmg with 2 citadels in one salvo. 

SUDDENLY a set of torpedoes appear in front of me, and an enemy tier 7 dd appears for roughly 1 second at 6kms in front of me, doesn't pop smoke, but then disappears.

He continues to harass me, from a range between 5-6 kms in front, remaining invisible, and spamming torps when ever he can. Any time he does become visible, it's for 1 second only, and not enough time for me to even bear my guns.

So, how come this guy got all "manhatten project" on me, but when I try in a dd, from a longer range, it doesn't work?. How come I remain lit for so long? Am I missing a skill?.

1.)there's probably a low tier dd around spotting you. i can assure you that launching torpedo don't reveal your position.

2.) that DD probably laid down a smoke in that area before he start to engage you, you can shoot inside the smoke without getting yourself detected, the problem is you need an allied ship or planes to spot the enemy for your because you can't see beyond the smoke.

Edited by yansuki

Sign in to follow this