chucky2

Is the Soviet DD worth the grind?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

they are fun to use. bit grindy but totally worth it. at lower tier, you will never lose in close knife fight with enemy dd because you have lots of fast reloading torpedo. i you manage to sneek close a battleship they have more trouble evading all of your torpedo, as long as you spread them properly. their guns start to get stronk at tier 3.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I assume it's your playstyle, if you have replays enabled then feel free to share them via mediafire or other download service.

Personally I didn't really like the lower tier ones, both the tier II and III have rather lacking guns, albeit their ability

to fill the SEA with explosive fishes is quite nice.

Beginning with the Islav-.... Islava-... Islaev...

Beginning with the tier IV destroyer the line improves a ton.

She has very good guns and the 5km torpedoes make her more viable for quick rushes without losing too many hitpoints.

However just like with the US DDs you're generally looking at DDs that rely on guns rather than torpedoes.

For example, a well-aimed shot of the Izyaslav can take 1k-2k damage off a BB's superstructure.

And that comes at a very high rate of fire, too.

To put it into a more general describtion of the entire line of ships:

They're CLs disguised as DDs.

Gameplay-wise all of them are consistently similiar to Tenryuu, Kuma or Iwaki.

This means your main actions will likely be:

1.) Obliterate Other DDs

Even US DDs will have issues fighting a duel against you.

2.) Support Allies

Use your gun firepower to deal medium damage to larger enemy ships that quickly multiplies into deadly damage.

Including the high chance of starting fires.

A warning though, RU DDs generally lack maneuverability, hence staying above 8-9km is vital, otherwise BBs will have a decent chance to hit you

and CAs will most likely hit you repeatedly.

Additionally:

Use your smoke to conceal yourself while firing salvo after salvo into your target.

You'll get about 40s of firing constantly without any repercussions... that's enough time to single-handedly deal with an CL or CA

or heavily damage a BB.

Outside of this, replays would really help a lot to give you advice.

MfG

Retia

51 posts
1,163 battles

but it gets harder to torp something at tier 5... if your lucky you manage to get close to a BB but thats very rare. the only kills i can manage are DDs and keep ks.... 

plsssss.... i need help on how to use them. its a fun ship but hard to contribute to the team. capping is harder because of the detection range and there are CAs with better guns...

sorry for the rant but im about to give up on them.

I'll try to enable the replays... pls be considerate if im a bad player

thank you senpais~

Edited by chucky2

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

pls be considerate if im a bad player

thank you senpais~

everyone was a bad player at some point xD

so it's okay..

as for the RU DD, I guess if you're into ambush tactic (popping in and out of behind the island) sure, they're good, also fast and all.. try practicing on the USN DD's first :D

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,875 battles

I kinda only use the torps when I have the chance, but I treat it like CL...fast guns and constant maneuver...sometimes knowing that you can prolly shave off their HP faster that trying to close in to torp kinda worked for me...and when theyre panic trying to kept whats left of their HP thats when they started to forget to avoid the torps that you laid out at close range....or vice versa...

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Every single Soviet DD has it's own strong point. Guns might not be so accurate but they are hell a lot better than American guns in term of shell velocity, can hit enemy DD at 10+ km with no difficulty. Sometimes i feel like those 130 mm shells fly faster than cruisers' shells. Soviet DDs are also blessed with very good maneuverability allowing them to dodge incoming fire with ease... 

Still, Torps are crap and don't ever try to use your torps unless it's the last resort or you managed to ambush a big fat stupid battleship.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Word on the street is that Glorious Soviet Russian DDs play a lot differently and I have suffered for it when I encounter them... I'm usually get dead by their guns rather than get torped... They mainly focus on their shell fire and gun range from the looks of it than other nation's DDs I guess... They're like baby Cruisers...

520 posts
11,127 battles

Same here, As per my Experience alongside and in the "Business End", they're pretty potent and have ousted the US DDS as Specialized GUN BOATS.  Now, the Russian DDS are the True Gun Boats, whilst the US DDS are Somwhere in Between.  In the Right hands... the Russian High Tier DDS can outshout many high Tier IJN Cruisers, Except the Mogami... ofcourse. 

Edited by kultabashi

580 posts
1,587 battles

Same here, As per my Experience alongside and in the "Business End", they're pretty potent and have ousted the US DDS as Specialized GUN BOATS.  Now, the Russian DDS are the True Gun Boats, whilst the US DDS are Somwhere in Between.  In the Right hands... the Russian High Tier DDS can outshout many high Tier IJN Cruisers, Except the Mogami... ofcourse. 

Outshout?? I didn't know we had a shouting mechanic... I mean they're Russians and all and were descended from the Nords so I think this picture explains why

Gif_fus_ro_dah.gif

Sorry man... Couldn't help it... :teethhappy:

51 posts
1,163 battles

I finally have a replay... after watching it i found out why i'm so ineffective....  

how could i possibly miss???? i must be the worst shot in the entire game... 

aside from the lucky torp hits.. its shameful 

just kidding i was trying to shoot the fish beside the mutsuki at point blank range....

maybe make the captain spill his tea or something

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Alright I'm going to start with the basic stuff before writing about the battle itself.

The first things that instantly jumped to my eyes were the lack of the premium smoke consumable (for credits)

and the lack of super intendent.

I'm assuming the later is missing due to her being a new ship+captain, however I highly suggest to mount the Smoke Generator II.

It's one of the most important passive weapons for any gun destroyer, since you can use it (as mentioned above) to get close to enemies and continously

rain shells on them without any fear of repercussions.

(Beware of blindfiring and torpedoes!)

What skills are you using on her anyway?

I'm assuming Basic Firing Training and Expert Marksman for tiers I and II respectively.

Alright, now to get into what I've seen in-battle.

It generally seems to me that you're too passive in your playstyle, long range support is supposed to (in my opinion)

start at max range, but you shouldn't be afraid of getting as close as ~8km to enemy ships.

What I usually do is continously fire and then depending on the situation try to get as close as possible.

The majority of my focus here lies in dodging enemy shells while firing my guns, this probably requires some experience

as to when the average enemy will switch to focus you as a target, however it helps a lot to improve your performance

by both taking attention away from your allies while dealing some damage to the enemy.

At this point it really doesn't matter if you fire both or only one gun (or on other DDs 3/5, etc) the focus has to be on dodging.

Don't be too afraid of losing hitpoints here, it happens, they're basically your reserve bank in case you screw up for a moment.

Once the enemy attacks get too fierce of you reach a certain range (On average it's 8km for me, but it's possible to squeeze our some more)

you pop your smoke, reduce speed to 1/2 and stop firing for a few seconds, try to put down a nice line of smoke that won't keep your allies from spotting for you,

because now it's time to switch from tanking to damage dealing.

As soon as you're safe from enemy fire (usually once you realise the enemy started blindfiring or focusing someone else,

start pounding away with all guns.

At around 3-4 seconds remaining time on your Smoke Generator reduce your speed to zero and reverse a little bit.

Now you have about ~20 seconds to unleash all hell on your enemies, including the roughly 15 seconds you have once you got invisible

that's somewhat around 30s (usually feels like up to 50s) to deal as much damage as possible.

This is also why you should get close to the enemy before popping your smoke, closer range = easier to hit = more damage.

Always beware of torpedoes though, and keep your time limit in mind, Engine Boost is a great option to utilise once the smoke is about to dissipate.

Now for some other advice.

Enable your AA guns, I know DDs don't have the greatest AA ever, but it's still something, and for the most part you'll be spotted anyway.

Also whenever possible manually target an aircraft squadron for better performance.

As you've mentioned you missed way too many shot on that Mutsuki, it's not easy to describe where you have to aim on an approaching DD,

mostly it's some space in front and left/right considering where your ship is facing.

(You're broadsiding and sailing to the left then shoot a bit more to the right)

Another point would be that you're almost always going out of gun view instead of watching where your shots are landing.

I highly suggest to use the minimap instead while only occasionally going out of gun view.

It's important to still get back into third person every now and then to stop tunnel visioning, but at the same time you'll want to

hit the juicy superstructures at the right points to maximise your damage.

In the last but not least scene during the battle you were facing a low health Atlanta.

Pop your smoke much earlier, worst case scenario you'll have to slow down and wait for him to come around the island,

but whether you miss that timing or not, atleast you won't take any damage.

Additionally I assume you chose the large spread for your torpedoes because you were afraid of missing him?

I highly suggest to use the small spread, generally speaking it's more difficult to dodge for cruisers, this one just

failed to realise he's fighting a DD at close range, otherwise he would've prolly dodged them.

Also what I generally do is fire 1 salvo with only half of my spread on the target designator and the remaining half in front of it.

the second salvo is the guess work, will the enemy turn or slow down?

And in the end of course you tunnel-visioned on that BB and got sunk for it, no brainer,

if you have only your rear gun left, turn around in due time and keep shooting him while being ready to dodge.

(I saw his rear guns aimed in on you for several seconds and knew what would most likely happen :x)

Résumé

I think your biggest issue is that you're fighting at too long range, even without smoke ready you shouldn't worry too much about getting closer than 10km.

My usual fighting distance is 8-10km with higher tier DDs, while I of course open up on long range.

Noteworthy: Sometimes it's very effective to open up on long range, then wait for a few seconds to get unspotted again.

The rest is just playing the game and grasping a feeling for how and when to do what.

I.e. adjusting your aim, not panicking or tunnel-visioning, and improving your timing for consumable uses.

I hope I made some sense here.

MfG

Retia

51 posts
1,163 battles

So basically i need to trust the ship more and get in closer to arround 8 km

And use smaller spread for cqc torping

For the skills

6th sense thing

Turrent traverse

Torpedo detection (bad choine on my part)

3 skill points ready for the range thing

Anything else i should improve?

Thanks for the advice

I'll try applying them when i get ingame

I tried going in and setting the smoke

It worked well, managed to lead targets better now and pellet stuff

And on my first attempt,  on the first salvo... i racked a kiev of all things

Thanks for the advice

I still need practice but i can at least kill one thing each battle

Edited by chucky2

753 posts
8,965 battles

Alright I'm going to start with the basic stuff before writing about the battle itself.

The first things that instantly jumped to my eyes were the lack of the premium smoke consumable (for credits)

and the lack of super intendent.

I'm assuming the later is missing due to her being a new ship+captain, however I highly suggest to mount the Smoke Generator II.

It's one of the most important passive weapons for any gun destroyer, since you can use it (as mentioned above) to get close to enemies and continously

rain shells on them without any fear of repercussions.

(Beware of blindfiring and torpedoes!)

What skills are you using on her anyway?

I'm assuming Basic Firing Training and Expert Marksman for tiers I and II respectively.

Alright, now to get into what I've seen in-battle.

It generally seems to me that you're too passive in your playstyle, long range support is supposed to (in my opinion)

start at max range, but you shouldn't be afraid of getting as close as ~8km to enemy ships.

What I usually do is continously fire and then depending on the situation try to get as close as possible.

The majority of my focus here lies in dodging enemy shells while firing my guns, this probably requires some experience

as to when the average enemy will switch to focus you as a target, however it helps a lot to improve your performance

by both taking attention away from your allies while dealing some damage to the enemy.

At this point it really doesn't matter if you fire both or only one gun (or on other DDs 3/5, etc) the focus has to be on dodging.

Don't be too afraid of losing hitpoints here, it happens, they're basically your reserve bank in case you screw up for a moment.

Once the enemy attacks get too fierce of you reach a certain range (On average it's 8km for me, but it's possible to squeeze our some more)

you pop your smoke, reduce speed to 1/2 and stop firing for a few seconds, try to put down a nice line of smoke that won't keep your allies from spotting for you,

because now it's time to switch from tanking to damage dealing.

As soon as you're safe from enemy fire (usually once you realise the enemy started blindfiring or focusing someone else,

start pounding away with all guns.

At around 3-4 seconds remaining time on your Smoke Generator reduce your speed to zero and reverse a little bit.

Now you have about ~20 seconds to unleash all hell on your enemies, including the roughly 15 seconds you have once you got invisible

that's somewhat around 30s (usually feels like up to 50s) to deal as much damage as possible.

This is also why you should get close to the enemy before popping your smoke, closer range = easier to hit = more damage.

Always beware of torpedoes though, and keep your time limit in mind, Engine Boost is a great option to utilise once the smoke is about to dissipate.

Now for some other advice.

Enable your AA guns, I know DDs don't have the greatest AA ever, but it's still something, and for the most part you'll be spotted anyway.

Also whenever possible manually target an aircraft squadron for better performance.

As you've mentioned you missed way too many shot on that Mutsuki, it's not easy to describe where you have to aim on an approaching DD,

mostly it's some space in front and left/right considering where your ship is facing.

(You're broadsiding and sailing to the left then shoot a bit more to the right)

Another point would be that you're almost always going out of gun view instead of watching where your shots are landing.

I highly suggest to use the minimap instead while only occasionally going out of gun view.

It's important to still get back into third person every now and then to stop tunnel visioning, but at the same time you'll want to

hit the juicy superstructures at the right points to maximise your damage.

In the last but not least scene during the battle you were facing a low health Atlanta.

Pop your smoke much earlier, worst case scenario you'll have to slow down and wait for him to come around the island,

but whether you miss that timing or not, atleast you won't take any damage.

Additionally I assume you chose the large spread for your torpedoes because you were afraid of missing him?

I highly suggest to use the small spread, generally speaking it's more difficult to dodge for cruisers, this one just

failed to realise he's fighting a DD at close range, otherwise he would've prolly dodged them.

Also what I generally do is fire 1 salvo with only half of my spread on the target designator and the remaining half in front of it.

the second salvo is the guess work, will the enemy turn or slow down?

And in the end of course you tunnel-visioned on that BB and got sunk for it, no brainer,

if you have only your rear gun left, turn around in due time and keep shooting him while being ready to dodge.

(I saw his rear guns aimed in on you for several seconds and knew what would most likely happen :x)

Résumé

I think your biggest issue is that you're fighting at too long range, even without smoke ready you shouldn't worry too much about getting closer than 10km.

My usual fighting distance is 8-10km with higher tier DDs, while I of course open up on long range.

Noteworthy: Sometimes it's very effective to open up on long range, then wait for a few seconds to get unspotted again.

The rest is just playing the game and grasping a feeling for how and when to do what.

I.e. adjusting your aim, not panicking or tunnel-visioning, and improving your timing for consumable uses.

I hope I made some sense here.

MfG

Retia

Best advice with great detail thus far that I have read on this forum. I was about to give up on the Russian DD's, read this, tried the advice and the very next game produced results.

It is greatly appreciated and thanks also to the OP for starting this thread which in turn saved me the time. :honoring:

280 posts
3,514 battles

The Turning shift might not good but they are medium sized dds and cool cannon sounds and damage    Even im not russian i still like russen DDs

Use Ships Wisely Neighas

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

higher tier ruskie DDs are STRONK, really, take the shell arc and speed of a IJN 203, give it the penn power of morgami's 155, a insane ROF for this kind of arc/shell speed/damage, attach them to self destructing turrets, mount said turrets on a rocket engine, give it some light speed grenades(i kid you not) and you have a STRONK ruskie DD. But jokes aside, this is how to play a ruskie DD

3 steps to prepare for STRONK ruskie DD

1.superintent captain skill is a must, and it is advised that you use dubloon smoke

2.use advanced fire training to improve your range

3. get upgrade to decrease chance of turret destruction

Ok, so now you should have a ship that has crap concealment, but great guns and speed, use this to your advantage, ruskie DDs are especially painful for BB players when they open up on you from 13km away and you cant do anything because they are too fast and nimble to hit from that distance, fires WILL start after 3 vollys, russian DDs have pretty good damage per HE and a pretty good chance of fire. but this is VERY not advised when dealing with 203 CAs and morgami and MK, they have pretty good ROF and speed on the rounds, and if they do hit, expect one or more gun turrets to go boom, i dont know how much vodka they have stored in those turrets but never let them get hit. dealing with DDs will depend on which kind you are dealing with, for IJN DDs, just get in close and knife the hell out of their poor little souls. USN DDs on the other hand you need to be careful with. NEVER charge a USN DD unless you are sure you can kill him with 2-3 volley of your guns or if you are already within 6km of him. best thing to do when fighting USN DDs is to keep 8-10KM distance and hit them with volley after volley of HE while watching their guns make pretty little rainbows .when dealing with other ruskie DDs or the polish t7 DD wica, you can knife fight or keep your distence and exchange volleys

NEVER use your torps as your first weapon, they are last resort BANZAI weapons and if you use them, ur not far from sinking to the deep