Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Should war gaming buff the Ranger's fighter

22 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Guys the Ranger fighters desperately need a buff. The plane that have a 19/1 kdr is utter useless the a6m2. It should be exactly the opposite. At the moment 8 a6m2 zeroes will completely destroy a squadron of f4f wildcats while only taking 2 casualties. This proves that the wildcats are nothing but a potato cannon mounted on a cardboard box. So I want to know your opinion about should be buff the f4f wildcats or not ?

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I should point out one of the games that led to this old news topic:

shot-15.11.21_15.43.29-0770_zps5ozxi6eo.

shot-15.11.21_15.43.23-0721_zpsegzr4rgp.

shot-15.11.21_15.43.27-0878_zpsd49u1cov.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Does silenthunter ever make threads not about USN CV's?

Play some more surface ships until CV balance is rectified, or wait for Royal Navy CV's to come out since you don't seem to ever play IJN CV's

Edit: Warshipstats says you don't play IJN (or any other nation) fullstop, why???? 

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Because (and I kid you not): "IJN CVs is easy mode. I won't play WoWS in easy mode."

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Then you overbuffed it that it can already defeat Essex's Bearcats

Sorry I did exaggerated a little bit. The wildcats should be able to take on 8 a6m2 zeroes without too much hassle like at the moment. They really feel like potato cannons

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Because (and I kid you not): "IJN CVs is easy mode. I won't play WoWS in easy mode."

IJN CV's may be a little easier for newcomers, but by no means does this mean they dominate, as a Langley will always give me trouble in my Hosho with his superior fighters. Actually, I recently had a battle where 2 squadrons of my Independances fighters took on 3 Ryujos squads (12 vs 12 planes) and I still beat them (make that 3 separate battles for the CV mission)

lol

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

extra torpedo bomber offer versatility, this is were IJN cv are excellent, they may have lower torpedo damage than USN torpedo bobmer but they have lots of different strategy to further increase their damage out that the USN cv can't do.

they can sink two low hp ship

they can delay the second torpedo attack and sink the enemy via flooding.

torpedo two ship who uses their damage control ability and have them sustain heavy flooding damage or even cause them to sink via flooding.

while the USN are excellent at air superiority, i haven't tried it against hiryuu but i once engage ryuujou with fighter loadout with my independence fighter loadout, at first i engage 3 of her fighter with 2 of my fighter, i manage to came on top but i sustained heavy losses too so i try another strategy, i lure 3 of Ryujou fighter with my one fighter and uses fighter ability on my second one, the result was astonishing, with minor losses i manage to obliterate all of her fighter using this strategy.

about ranger i think fighter setup is the way to go, against hiryuu her bomber will go uncontested while you can force and engagement on hiryuu fighter causing her to loose all of her fighter earlier then just shotdown her torpedo bomber and dive bomber later.

so instead of buff i think the usn fighter should really force to go Fighter setup and learn how to use manual dive bomb to secure some damage while you obliterate the air of enemy planes.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

I don't get his logic.

IJN stuff is typically harder to master then USN.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Guys the Ranger fighters desperately need a buff. The plane that have a 19/1 kdr is utter useless the a6m2. It should be exactly the opposite. At the moment 8 a6m2 zeroes will completely destroy a squadron of f4f wildcats while only taking 2 casualties. This proves that the wildcats are nothing but a potato cannon mounted on a cardboard box. So I want to know your opinion about should be buff the f4f wildcats or not ?

that's how it works. you'll be surprised when you reached essex and midway, nonetheless I don't see a need for ranger fighter buff

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Finally got myself the Ranger and free exp'd myself to the top hull and upgraded fighters (them beautiful F4F Wildcats!!!)

Using the stock flight control and stock DB's and TB's heres my verdict from the first few battles, I'll add more when I have a few more games under the belt

Pros:

• This carrier is the first where I don't have to worry so much about aircraft losses, previously on the Independence I constantly had to worry about protecting my planes as if they got shot down replacements were scarce and nothing ruined your game more than having no planes left and serving as a AA or Ram ship - yes I have got a ram kill on a Kongo class BB that got too close lol.
  • AA is strong so you can be confident that you will shoot down a few enemy attackers or be able to provide local protection to your planes as they land or launch.
  • Unlike on the Independence this ship actually has secondaries, 8x5" guns, so it has a marginal amount of protection against enemy ships that get close - you may get lucky and score a detonation on an attacking DD, unlikely, but possible
  • Fighters are powerful to the point where they go against all historical accuracy...the in game Wildcat is faster than the A6M Zero.....WAT??!?!?!?! (survivability is accurate though)
  • ^I assume that just like in the independence beforehand, when you have a 12 vs 12 dogfight (2 USN squads vs 3 IJN squads) with proper targeting you will normally win (no external factors like friendly/enemy ship AA), albeit with heavy losses.

Cons:

• The upgraded dive bombers are slower and do no more additional damage to the stock ones, even though they are the newer monoplane vindicator bombers. More survivability is nothing if they can't fly away from the danger zone or at least deal more damage.
  • The ship is bigger and slower than the Indy, it can still run but not as well as the Independance, and probably don't be able to pull off the odd ram kill as a last resort either lol.
  • The flight control choices for 4 squads are limited, you can have either a (Fighter/Torpedo Bomber/Dive Bomber) 2/0/2 or 0/1/3 loadout, it really is a pain. I can either go for air superiority but deal little damage, or go for the balanced 1/1/1 loadout and get owned by the Hiryu in its 2/2/2 setup or 3/2/1 setup, the latter definitely being the real pain as even my fighter loadout will struggle to handle a Hiryu's fighters, let alone chase their bombers. Currently I prefer the stock flight control for balance reasons, as torpedo bombers are the only way to deal game changing damage.

Suggestions:

1.  While the 2/0/2 loadout is the safest way to go, I'd really like the Lexington's 2/1/1 loadout to ensure I can play a relevant part in the game. In my current state I play the 1/1/1 and playing Russian Roulette - getting caught out at times by a 3/1/1 Hiryu or a 2/0/2 Ranger on the opposite team. The stock balanced 3 squad loadout is getting troublesome when its like that for 3 tiers in a row
  2. While suggestion 1 may not happen, a small buff to the Dive bombers speed or damage is all I ask at the very least
  3. Not relevant, but the USS Wasp also sounds like a nice alternative tier 7 CV or perhaps a premium?

Beta Tester
33 posts
1,639 battles

Just check the wiki. Wow, what are they doing to IJN CV at high tier? The same number of torpedo squad, while dive bomber do minimum dam AND bombing spread considerablely larger than US =)).

61 posts
1,022 battles

Please... IJN Carriers is getting nerf bat again coz of its obvious "superiority" (please HEAVILY note the sarcasm in the statement) as many whiners say x2-x3 reload on all planes... as if t9/t10 USN isnt so over powered enough

Edited by Alternate_Rouge

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Haku, I take extreme prejudice and offence who ever made that comment. 

Really SH, get on IJN. It's not as rosy and simplistic ad you make it out to be. 

Every time USN sweeps me out of the sky with minimal opposition, I see SH's gace together with his petty and pathetic USN CV rantings. 

Edited by Makise_Kuristina

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Please... IJN Carriers is getting nerf bat again coz of its obvious "superiority" (please HEAVILY note the sarcasm in the statement) as many whiners say x2-x3 reload on all planes... as if t9/t10 USN isnt so over powered enough

In the next update IJN CV are getting the converging torpedo spread which is a buff. However, both USN and IJN CV are getting nerfed with the 2x planes preparation time if a squadron is destroyed. So IJN CVs are getting buffed. I have no idea what you are complaining about

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Haku, I take extreme prejudice and offence who ever made that comment. 

Really SH, get on IJN. It's not as rosy and simplistic ad you make it out to be. 

Every time USN sweeps me out of the sky with minimal opposition, I see SH's gace together with his petty and pathetic USN CV rantings. 

Your planes get sweep out of the sky by USN CVs from tier 7-10 ? Please, that's a joke. The only ship that is capable of doing that is the Lady Lex. Most USN CV captains either use the balanced or strike load out from tier 7-10 (excluding the Lexington). Most Ranger's captains use the balanced load out which is a piece of **** in term of AA when compared to the Hiryu's balanced load out.The lexington is the only US CV that have a good reputation for shooting down aircraft while still able to earn exp and credit. The Taiho and Hakuryu should be better than the Essex and Midway in term of AA because they both have two fighters squadron in their strike loadout when the Essex and Midway only have one. 

Sign in to follow this