Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mi_Amore_Cadenza

USN DDs - How do they Work?

28 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
95 posts
3,199 battles

I've just recently come back to the game after a long while and have lost a lot of know-how on how to play the USN DD line.

In my recent games, this is what I've observed:

1. Easily spotted - An IJN DD can stay concealed long before you spot him all the while he can see you. And running from an enemy Cruiser, even at more than 7km, you're still seen.

2. Modules too easily damaged - You get shot, repair. The next salvo that comes in does the same thing and just screws you up all over again, and this time you don't have anything to fix the damage.

3. Enemies are always running away - How does one even manage to get any torpedo hits in when people are always circling around, even without proper reason. 

Basically, I'm starting to suck at DD play simply because I no longer have a clue as to how things play out on the server. Please enlighten me. I don't like being a liability to my team.

EDIT: I'm currently sitting at the T7 USN Mahan. Some tips for it would be nice.

Edited by Mi_Amore_Cadenza

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Mahan is one of the oddballs in the US DD line.

Basically a Gun/Torp hybrid DD that relies on annoying larger ships or defeating small ships with it's guns.

All while utilising her somewhat decent torpedo range to drop salvoes on targets of opportunity.

It's quite important to have a commander with the AFT skill, since her guns lack the Farragut's range,

it's still possible to unleash a shell rain on BBs and CAs without it, but every km of range helps in the task.

As for getting damaged, only tip I can give you is to up your dodging plays.

It's quite possible to dodge most if not all the cake people throw at ya.

Beta Tester
95 posts
3,199 battles

Mahan is one of the oddballs in the US DD line.

Basically a Gun/Torp hybrid DD that relies on annoying larger ships or defeating small ships with it's guns.

All while utilising her somewhat decent torpedo range to drop salvoes on targets of opportunity.

It's quite important to have a commander with the AFT skill, since her guns lack the Farragut's range,

it's still possible to unleash a shell rain on BBs and CAs without it, but every km of range helps in the task.

As for getting damaged, only tip I can give you is to up your dodging plays.

It's quite possible to dodge most if not all the cake people throw at ya.

Will take note of that. I've been struggling to figure out what exactly the Mahan is good at doing. I try not to shoot at anything because the moment I do, I'm lit up and everyone shifts their aim to me.

Then I try to NOT shoot and just use torps, but it's hard to get a hit in because, as I said, people are so quick to turn the heck around the moment anyone else on my team starts to fire their way.

I'll definitely test out what you've said about using both guns and torps.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Do an initial rush for enemy DDs, and then fall back and sit ~10km and do your PewPew before you get the upgraded Torpedo on the Mahan. Rush in again when the game develop a bit.

After that you have both good guns and good torpedo, so you can decide whether you want to do a RU DD, or a IJN DD style. Or a Hybrid.

I do enjoy them a bit more now with the buffs. May also be my gunnery getting better at handling these abysmal velocity and arc.

Edited by Alvin1020

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I try not to shoot at anything because the moment I do, I'm lit up and everyone shifts their aim to me.

Yeah, that generally happens whenever a DD gets lit, cause low HP, thigh threat target.

Use that to your advantage, it doesn't matter if you only have 2-3 of 5 guns on the enemy, just keep shooting while focusing on dodging.

Those shots missing you are all damage you keep away from your teammates.

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

As Retia said, the new Mahan is the odd ball of the line - I personally ran the B hull configuration which retained its 5 guns and upgraded torpedoes.

The new Mahan is the first USN DD that can stealth torp (torpedo things before its spotted), but if you haven't found out with IJN DD's, unless the enemy is really really bad and continues to sail in a straight line, you will likely miss when firing at long range. With the Mahan, you are a little slow to race around and suicide torpedo things as well as the previous USN DD's, so you're better off staying at range and raining shells on your targets (slow BB's usually). Only time to get close is to bully other or lower tier DD's with your guns and Rof - DO NOT ENGAGE A tier 7 Russian KIEV at range - you will be decimated as your shells are too slow to hit him

The Mahans base detection is 7.9km, add 3.8km for firing visibility and you get 11.7km detection when firing - unfortunately that is your max gun range unless you get the captains skill advanced firing training to boost the firing range by 20%.

520 posts
11,127 battles

The mahan is a great ship.  More of an upgrade from the farragut.  I use it as i would my fletcher, but mahan is a bit slow on speed and ROF.  But 5 guns can slowly melt down a TIER 5 - 7 BB with constant fire.  Your best used to counter IJN destroyers with your fast guns.  The Minekaze, Mutsuki and Hatsuharu are easy targets. Kagero and Fubuki though will need a bit extra care when approaching. 

Nonetheless, its a good boat

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I've just recently come back to the game after a long while and have lost a lot of know-how on how to play the USN DD line.

In my recent games, this is what I've observed:

1. Easily spotted - An IJN DD can stay concealed long before you spot him all the while he can see you. And running from an enemy Cruiser, even at more than 7km, you're still seen.

2. Modules too easily damaged - You get shot, repair. The next salvo that comes in does the same thing and just screws you up all over again, and this time you don't have anything to fix the damage.

3. Enemies are always running away - How does one even manage to get any torpedo hits in when people are always circling around, even without proper reason. 

Basically, I'm starting to suck at DD play simply because I no longer have a clue as to how things play out on the server. Please enlighten me. I don't like being a liability to my team.

EDIT: I'm currently sitting at the T7 USN Mahan. Some tips for it would be nice.

Ok lets be serious about answering :D:D:D

If you willing to go for the USN or SN DD this is the thing you have to dealing with most of the time, no way you can complete with IJN DD concealment you tend to get spotted first.

My suggestion is positioning when you get spotted by other DD but there no Cruiser able to engage you that the opportunity to hunt down other DD get close and dealing damage.

But lets say you spotting enemy formation 12km away (which consist of Cruiser Battleships DD or whatever lets say more than one ships) you might consider trying to be passive start shelling from you limit range slow their formation drop some torpedoes to slow them down then wait for the backup or fall back to the friendly (most of all try to keep the distance away from them) because if you tryin to do the torpedoes run on their formation and IJN DD happens to be around when you doing it you pretty much dead,after you got spotted they will overwhelm you.

If you found the lone battleships you have 2 option in my opinion

- Keep shooting keep burning him (but try to keep the distance and keep maneuvering so BB cannot fight back)

- Go in for torpedoes run (and lets hope you not get spotted by DD or plane, or if you get spotted hope you have enough HP to stand against it lol)

Completely RNG related you cannot do anythings to prevent that other than not putting your self into the tricky situation (such as engaging multiple DD or CA) or get the Last Stand which will throw away the Advance Firing Training (you can go for 2 Tier 4 captain skills but you will lose the Concealment Expert which also the useful one to improve your concealment) so my suggetion is positioning will improving the survival change.      

Thats why i move over to the USN and SN DD line :D:D:D

When frighting with skillful player getting torpedoes hits is not that easy(But im not torpedoes master so it should be about me not the torpedoes lol) , But not so many ship can out run the HE shell so im using gun as my primary weapons and torpedos just to keep the enemy away from me or just when the opportunity present it self.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

520 posts
11,127 battles

Thats it... i feel Naked when using a IJN dd. Im just not used to not having Guns for protection or to fight back when cornerned. For me, specifically the mahan... if a performer... if you know how to captialize on its strenghts

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Thats it... i feel Naked when using a IJN dd. Im just not used to not having Guns for protection or to fight back when cornerned. For me, specifically the mahan... if a performer... if you know how to captialize on its strenghts

But as i told you in the hand of expert IJN DD can handle pretty much any DD that they encounter when using it correctly, Better concealment give you the big advantage to decide whenever to engage or where to engage, better shell velocity better shell damage and best torpedoes set up, fire rate is not the big problems  since you can concentrate on maneuvering while reloading only concern should be the turrets tuning speed which can be improve by modules and captain skill.

I might go back to the IJN DD sometimes :D:D:D 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

520 posts
11,127 battles

But as i told you in the hand of expert IJN DD can handle pretty much any DD that they encounter when using it correctly, Better concealment give you the big advantage to decide whenever to engage or where to engage, better shell velocity better shell damage and best torpedoes set up, fire rate is not the big problems  since you can concentrate on maneuvering while reloading only concern should be the turrets tuning speed which can be improve by modules and captain skill.

I might go back to the IJN DD sometimes :D:D:D 

haha... i guess youre right.... it just feels good to have 4 or more 5" guns by your side... ready to shoot at a moments notice. Lol.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

usn has slow shell so but higher angle fire so they are better at harassing large ship like battleship and heavy cruiser or sinking ijn destroyer but stay away from russians. their faster shell can really cause huge problem but if you can dodge their shell they you can deal with them. 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Better concealment give you the big advantage to decide whenever to engage or where to engage, better shell velocity better shell damage and best torpedoes set up

I remember back when I was playing shimakaze though, where gearing can easily shrug off my HE shots even at broadside. so much for better shell damage.

But as i told you in the hand of expert IJN DD can handle pretty much any DD that they encounter when using it correctly

you forgot to include "at the hands of expert USN DD, the bane of all DDs".

, fire rate is not the big problems

it is. that gave USN DD their distinct advantage afterall.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

haha... i guess youre right.... it just feels good to have 4 or more 5" guns by your side... ready to shoot at a moments notice. Lol.

Without that kind of gun you cannot burn the whole BB down, that right "AMERICAN FIREPOWER" my friend :D:D:D 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

you forgot to include "at the hands of expert USN DD, the bane of all DDs".

Thats right if my turrets still intact i can take on IJN DD any time :D:D:D 

Fire rate that gave USN DD their distinct advantage afterall.

But if you cannot hit anything with it that is useless, shell velocity become painful sometimes :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

But if you cannot hit anything with it that is useless, shell velocity become painful sometimes :D:D:D

that's right, but you can hardly miss anything at 7 km right? i know the pain of slow shells, i have atlanta.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

that's right, but you can hardly miss anything at 7 km right? i know the pain of slow shells, i have atlanta.

Thats the problems my ideal engagment range are around 8-10km in USN DD (may be thats why i cannot master it, i keep shooting from far range lol) and if other DD lets say IJN spot me before that range they will start running away, with the speed of USN DD it cannot close the gap and if there a CV spotting that DD for me it should be already 11-12km away from me so i can barely shoot it before it disappear, also i have to include the time i spent on dodging torpedoes :D:D:D

yea so i move to Russian DD :P  

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

168 posts
5,681 battles

I'm so entrenched in the IJN DD play-style now, I don't think I could handle playing any DD that relies on gunnery.

It's not that the torpedoes get that many hits, but that I can spam them and also stay alive longer for spotting.

406 posts
6,287 battles

I recently had a round in the Minekaze - 30+ shell hits, no Torpedo hits, 3 ships Sunk.

I was laughing when I finally got sunk!

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I recently had a round in the Minekaze - 30+ shell hits, no Torpedo hits, 3 ships Sunk.

I was laughing when I finally got sunk!

Thats why i keep telling that IJN DD guns can handle the stuff no less than other nation :D:D:D 

406 posts
6,287 battles

Thats why i keep telling that IJN DD guns can handle the stuff no less than other nation :D:D:D 

Well - I'm so used to playing US BBs that I was used to the Turret Rotation and how to compensate for it - but that was a hilarious round.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Well - I'm so used to playing US BBs that I was used to the Turret Rotation and how to compensate for it - but that was a hilarious round.

I only play USN BB because i love when CV keep sending planes to feed my AAA guns :D:D:D 

168 posts
5,681 battles

Lots of IJN DDs make the mistake of thinking they don't have guns and thus cut their effectiveness a lot IMO, certainly at lower tiers at least.

I confess I am probably guilty of this.

It depends how many enemy cruisers are still hanging about - itching to paste me as soon as I'm lit.

If those are gone then using guns becomes more appealing.

Until then I tend to concentrate on keeping the enemy DDs and cruisers lit.

Sign in to follow this