You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shankman

Premium ships for training Commanders

45 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

OK i have tried and it cost me gold , I took the commander from my Mogami and put him on my Yubari . Great No penalty but when i try to put him back onto the Mogami he has to start retraining . I thought there was no penalty

Please explain this to my noobness . What am i doing wrong ?

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

~amade

Edited by amade

1,230 posts
2,367 battles

well, it's working as intended, if you put commander to a prem, there's no retraining, but if you but him back to standard sheeps, there is penalty, except ypu want to skip it with doubloons

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

but in the write up in game it says retraining for no penalty , that just sux . No point if you lose on the way back to your original ship from a premium one . Yes if you put him in another ship then that would be fair . POOR FORM WARGAMING

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

When you put your Mogami commander onto Yuubari, there was no need for you to train him specifically onto Yuubari, as all premium vessels do not require their captains to be specifically trained to them. A Mogami captain on Yuubari will have full access to his skills as though he was on a Mogami itself.

If you specifically retrained your Mogami commander into a Yuubari commander, you lose the Mogami training and have to retrain it back onto Mogami if you want the full bonuses from the captain's skills.

This information is available if you asked before acting.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Select Yubari

Assign Mogami Captain to Yubari

DO NOT RETRAIN, Captain works without any penalties

Select Mogami

Assign the Captain back to Mogami

No retraining needed, no gold/credits used.

Retraining Is ONLY necessary when moving from one tech tree ship to another tech tree ship, or when you are making them permanently stay on a ship or until you want to move them up again. Premiums dont follow this rule.

Edited by Cyanide7662

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

Select Yubari

Select Mogami

Retraining Is ONLY necessary when moving from one tech tree ship to another tech tree ship, or when you are making them permanently stay on a ship or until you want to move them up again. Premiums dont follow this rule.

THANK YOU for a straight forward answer my friend

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,875 battles

Select Yubari

Select Mogami

If I may ask so when you do this...when you sent him back to his original ship...you wont need any retraining and the skills are not in orange color?

So say I have a Murmansk...and I want to send Ognevoi captain to Murmansk for some exp grinding...lets say after he level up...then I want to sent him back to Ognevoi...didnt he will be needed to retrained on the Ognevoi then? Thats what happened automatically right? and its kinda confusing when you said that you dont need to retrain him. Would appreciate if you can explain more on this...thanks

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

If I may ask so when you do this...when you sent him back to his original ship...you wont need any retraining and the skills are not in orange color?

So say I have a Murmansk...and I want to send Ognevoi captain to Murmansk for some exp grinding...lets say after he level up...then I want to sent him back to Ognevoi...didnt he will be needed to retrained on the Ognevoi then? Thats what happened automatically right? and its kinda confusing when you said that you dont need to retrain him. Would appreciate if you can explain more on this...thanks

When transferring a captain between a premium ship and a normal ship of the same nation there is no retraining required and no penalties applied.

E.G.

Co trained in Ognevy

Transfer to Murmansk 

DO NOT RETRAIN

Skills active and useable

Transfer back to Ognevy

DO NOT RETRAIN

skills active and useable and Co remains trained for Ognevy

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Ognevoi to Murmansk then back to Ognevoi?

Captain who is trained on the Ognevoi, and is fully trained to that ship, is able to use his perks, like situation awareness for this example.

If you move him to the Kiev for example, WITHOUT retraining, he wont be able to use his perks as they will be coloured orange, and would need retraining.

If you move him to the Murmansk, his perks will not be orange, and can use his perks straight away, you do not need to retrain him, and he is still trained as the Ognevois Captain.

Thus, being able to move him back to the Ognevoi without the need for any training at all.

Retraining is not automatic. You have to click the big button when you move him to another ship. You only need to retrain your Captain when you move him up to the next tier in the ship tech tree line. Hope that answers it, if Dead_Man didnt already :)

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Maybe they should add a warning for new players that try retrain a captain to a premium ship that its not required.

The whole commander training interface is poor, frankly, especially with respect to moving between ships. 

It would be greatly improved if it made REALLY OBVIOUS what the commander was trained in, and, as you said, stopped you from training them in a premium ship without an appropriate warning. When it comes time to take the person back from the premium ship, it's not obvious what their actual training is (hence my comment about making it so).

I also don't like that it appears impossible to train someone on a new ship you've researched unless you BUY the ship, too. 

The whole approach to commander/crew in WG is a means of milking money; it makes no sense from a design perspective outside that. Could accept a "class" commander (i.e. any CA), but not needing to retrain on what are essentially identical ships and losing all previous capacity.

There are a few other games of a similar nature that do these aspects much better, frankly.

Edited by Steeltrap

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,875 battles

Thanks dmw and cyanide47662...My apologies for confusing Ognevoi (Tier VI) and Gnevy (Tier V). I tried it moving Gnevy > Murmansk > Gnevy and it worked...was afraid before since its kinda confusing lol...when I first started I kept buying new capt with every ship I buy for 25 doubloons, but it tuns out to be good, I have capts that I can spare for each line.

Another question, what will happen if I take Murmansk captain and put him on say Gnevy...I do need to retrain him on the Gnevy or will he be able to retain the exp he gets on the Gnevy?

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Another question, what will happen if I take Murmansk captain and put him on say Gnevy...I do need to retrain him on the Gnevy or will he be able to retain the exp he gets on the Gnevy?

Nope it doesn't work in reverse unfortunately.

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

good to see I wasn't the only one confused by this set up . Don't know why they didn't just make it the same as WOT which is where most of their client base comes from .

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

good to see I wasn't the only one confused by this set up . Don't know why they didn't just make it the same as WOT which is where most of their client base comes from .

It is the same as the WoT setup...

Minus the need to jiggle specific crew roles and heavy/medium/light/SPG crews

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
982 posts

To the OP: 

Sorry for your pain mate. We all learn a few things the hard way in games. :unsure:

Just to let you know, don't count on premium ships to convert XP to crew training like in WoT. It doesn't happen nor, from what I understand, isn't even being developed. This means that you only need one good premium ship to be a credit generator. Buying more is pointless unless you are a collector and/or have the disposable real world cash to do so. 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

To the OP: 

Sorry for your pain mate. We all learn a few things the hard way in games. :unsure:

Just to let you know, don't count on premium ships to convert XP to crew training like in WoT. It doesn't happen nor, from what I understand, isn't even being developed. This means that you only need one good premium ship to be a credit generator. Buying more is pointless unless you are a collector and/or have the disposable real world cash to do so. 

What? Premium ships automatically train crew. So if you have an Aoba captain, retrain him to Myoukou, then stick him into a Yuubari, Ishizuchi or Atago, he gets full use of his captain abilities (not oranged out) while automatically retraining that captain towards Myoukou.

[LLBC]
Super Tester
750 posts
3,314 battles

Maybe they should add a warning for new players that try retrain a captain to a premium ship that its not required.

Well.... considering game doesn't even give you the option to retrain an existing commander to a Premium Ship, why would they need to implement a warning?

Alpha Tester
982 posts

What? Premium ships automatically train crew. So if you have an Aoba captain, retrain him to Myoukou, then stick him into a Yuubari, Ishizuchi or Atago, he gets full use of his captain abilities (not oranged out) while automatically retraining that captain towards Myoukou.

I switched the topic ever so slightly from the previous posts. 

My point is that in premium ships, you cannot convert the free XP you gain from each battle into additional crew training. You can toggle crew training/gain free XP on and off in World of Tanks.

You always get your base crew XP in WoWS premium ships. However, you are stuck with only getting the Free XP bonus instead of converting it to crew training. You have no choice in the matter.  This is why I have made the point so many times that every player (again, unless you are a collector or just wanna spend the $$$) only "needs" one good premium ship to be a credit grinder.

If you are not in need of generating credits, why would you bother driving a premium ship to train your captain except for fun? If you want to train your captain, the rare XP events aside, you are better off doing it in the ship that he/her/pony is trained for. That way your grind crew XP and at the same time grind XP for ship research.

EDIT: This is why I am a bit baffled by the lack of this feature. WG is in business to make money, right? I would be very keen on buying more premium ships. However, under the current system, there is no point in me doing do. I, like a lot of other players, refuse to spend doubloons to convert (not so) free XP generated by premium ships into real XP. Until the convert Free XP feature is implemented, I’ll be keeping my money in my wallet.

Edited by Krieg

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

That works well for lower tiers, but in higher tiers you want a fully trained skipper in your ships. So you retrain for the ship, then stick him in a prem ship for xp training, and when back at 100%, you put him back in the ship he was trained for so you have the best chance of success.

And the missing training is being looked at, but it needs to be built from the ground up, everything that has been grabbed from WoT has broken.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

That works well for lower tiers, but in higher tiers you want a fully trained skipper in your ships. So you retrain for the ship, then stick him in a prem ship for xp training, and when back at 100%, you put him back in the ship he was trained for so you have the best chance of success.

And the missing training is being looked at, but it needs to be built from the ground up, everything that has been grabbed from WoT has broken.

Mate, I see your point. However, all that time and XP training your skipper in a premium could be spent in the new ship training the captain AND researching modules - both at the same time. I'd rather have a partially trained skipper in a partially/mostly module researched ship than a fully trained captain in a totally stock ship.

I sincerely hope the missing training is being looked at. It would be welcome news. Not for my wallet though, as it will make be buy more premium ships.