Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AntifoulAwl

Firing guns on Iowa and Yamato

15 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

That USN Video was from 1955? That's old... It's even got that Walter Cronkite like feel to the narrator... It's sad really that battleships are no longer around...

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

1 Stupid Question ....

You need to lower the gun to able to reload ?

You can't reload while the gun still aiming at the target ?

and if that it mean you have to recalculate and aim again or their have some machanic to make the gun remember the same position ....

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Naval guns are set (aimed) by bearing and elevation, so if a barrel fires, it returns to the neutral positon for reload and then elevates back to its last dialed position. 

Alpha Tester
47 posts
1,085 battles

1 Stupid Question ....

You need to lower the gun to able to reload ?

You can't reload while the gun still aiming at the target ?

and if that it mean you have to recalculate and aim again or their have some machanic to make the gun remember the same position ....

imagin that you have to put something weight as a car into a very slope tube and try to close it.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Not sure if there is.  But I did read about a sailor who was out on deck when the fired the main battery.  They found him unconscious with no clothes on.

Old sailors tale, if you look hard enough, you will find a similar story for any ship with big guns.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

Naval guns are set (aimed) by bearing and elevation, so if a barrel fires, it returns to the neutral positon for reload and then elevates back to its last dialed position. 

thx ...they should add this animation of gun lowering down after fires into the game too :)

imagin that you have to put something weight as a car into a very slope tube and try to close it.

that why i say stupid question haha .... since i saw that it reload by machine not man ... so i think maybe they should put those shells into the gun without send gun back to natural position to save some time between shot ....

oh! another Question ... when fired ... it have small amount of white smoke come out of barrel after that ... is it a mechanic that push that smoke out or it just that when they open that cap to reload again it comeout on it own ?

Sign in to follow this