Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShadowPolack

Battleship gun range differences

13 comments in this topic

17 posts
1,175 battles

I find myself confused by the different ranges you give to the BB's of the different nations.  you consistently give superior advantage to Japanese and German naval guns when in actuality, American naval guns of the same size and caliber were either similar or superior in range and penetration.  The New Mexico class has 14" 45 caliber guns, the same as carried by the Japanese Kongo and Fuso classes, yet they are consistently carried having 21 kilometer range vs the New Mexico's 15/16 kilometer range.  An internet search of naval records (not Wikipedia) shows that at a 15 Degree gun angle, she had a 24 kilometer range.  Quite a big difference.  

The American 16" naval guns used on the North Carolina and subsequent classes was superior in range and penetration to all Japanese guns including the Yamato's.  Only when the range dropped to about 10 kilometers was parity established.  At that range, Yamato's guns had greater penetration due to shell weight.  I feel corrections need to be made in light of this info.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

I find myself confused by the different ranges you give to the BB's of the different nations.  you consistently give superior advantage to Japanese and German naval guns when in actuality, American naval guns of the same size and caliber were either similar or superior in range and penetration.  The New Mexico class has 14" 45 caliber guns, the same as carried by the Japanese Kongo and Fuso classes, yet they are consistently carried having 21 kilometer range vs the New Mexico's 15/16 kilometer range.  An internet search of naval records (not Wikipedia) shows that at a 15 Degree gun angle, she had a 24 kilometer range.  Quite a big difference.

The American 16" naval guns used on the North Carolina and subsequent classes was superior in range and penetration to all Japanese guns including the Yamato's.  Only when the range dropped to about 10 kilometers was parity established.  At that range, Yamato's guns had greater penetration due to shell weight.  I feel corrections need to be made in light of this info.

WG Games are not really very realistic cause everything is about balance so yup.:great:

Super Tester
1,310 posts

oh. i need to underline the GFCS MOD for USN line here.

USN line can have +16% range upgrade for 500k credit started from NY, which put USN BB range not far behind IJN BB.

in tier 8-9 USN BB out range IJN BB with that upgrade. (especially NC).

-----------

also i read somewhere that WG determine the range of main gun based by location of range finder

Myoko range finder location is higher than mogami. thus myoko got longer base range than mogami.

as for IJN BB.

those bloody high pagoda at kongou/fuso put the range finder at higher location.

--------

tough actually WG can change the range if they want to (look at atago that receive 1 kilo range buff at 2 or 3 patch ago)

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Its purely a gameplay/balance aspect rather than neglecting real life information, Yamato had a maximum firing range of 42km, translating that into WOW would mean it cover the entirety of some maps.

Generally speaking, the USN BBs are more durable compared to their IJN Counterparts to compensate for their lack of range and as ReNation has mentioned, there are equipment upgrades that can help reduce the differences in range. 

17 posts
1,175 battles

I can deal with 2-3 kilometer difference, but I have seen anywhere from 6-10 kilometer difference.  Too me, that is bogus.  And those mods you talk about take money, which means battles (winning battles), which is hard enough to do when everyone on your side is working together.  When not, you get a pittance.  It's hard to overcome these disadvantages.  Also, speaking of those pagoda masts on the Kongo's, ever look at the ones on the New Mexico's?  Just as high and the range is still 7 kilometers less.

48 posts
1,729 battles

I would have wanted the same range as JP BBs, however, we can also say that even with those functional gun range of 21Km to 26Km, WW2 ships may never dare fighting each other from the edge. The shells might not hit, or may even drop a few Kms shorter than expected. This will be a waste of resources and a huge time loss due to gun reloads.

Do not worry about the reach a ship's gun can provide in-game, what we must be focusing on is the "sweet spot" based on the shell dispersion, and personal capability. I have been using Kongo in a battle under 14Km, and maybe 18Km at max. It's true that these ships have a privilege in range compared to their US counterparts, however, if you happen to get a hold of the "sweet" range, say, less than 12Km, it's noticeable that the US BBs in-game can still pack a punch.

So basically, do not chase. US BB's under T7 are not that good for a chaser role, rather, put them on the defensive, and it'll work out somehow.

As mentioned in this thread earlier, there are available upgrades that can boost the range plus the existence of the scout planes as well.

621 posts
2,271 battles

Tbh, the main advantages of the Japanese BBs are their speed and range. The USN BBs have better armour and overall firepower. I'd say it evens out pretty well. Giving the USN BBs the same amount of range (or more) would make the only advantage of the IJN BBs be their speed, in which case you might as well stop playing them and opt for cruisers instead.

17 posts
1,175 battles

By the time I get into "sweet spot" range, I have already been tagged at least  three or more times.  My health has been cut and now I have to contend with other ship's fire, air-launched weapons and DD torpedoes.  And this is regardless of traveling in a group or alone.  I ain't seeing things your way.  Maybe I lack rose colored glasses or six friends traveling with me and shooting up the same target.

And why do some 6" gunned cruisers have a range almost as good as my BB's gun range?  I would think I should have a range advantage of a few minutes instead of a retaliation before my next salvo is ready.  Not feeling the love at all.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

I can deal with 2-3 kilometer difference, but I have seen anywhere from 6-10 kilometer difference.  Too me, that is bogus.  And those mods you talk about take money, which means battles (winning battles), which is hard enough to do when everyone on your side is working together.  When not, you get a pittance.  It's hard to overcome these disadvantages.  Also, speaking of those pagoda masts on the Kongo's, ever look at the ones on the New Mexico's?  Just as high and the range is still 7 kilometers less.

Tier 3

kawachi = 9.8

SC = 11,2

USN win by 1.4 kilo

Tier 4

myogi = 18.5 (i need to note here, myogi and kawachi has very bad dispersion. their accuracy is terrible)

Wyoming = 14

IJN win by 4.5 kilo

Tier 5

Kongo = 21,2

NY = 15.6 + 16% = 18.096

IJN win by 3.2 kilo

Tier 6

Fuso = 21,8

NM = 14.9 + 16% = 17.28

IJN win by 4.6 kilo

Tier 7

Nagato = 20.5

Colorado = 16.7 + 16% = 19.37

IJN win by 1.2 kilo

Tier 8

Amagi = 19.9

NC = 23.3 + 16% = 27.028

USN win by 8.1 kilo

Tier 9

Izumo = 21.7 + 16% = 25.17

Iowa = 23.3 +16% = 27.028

USN win by 1.9 kilo

Tier 10

Yamato = 26.6 + 16% = 30.8

Montana = 23.6 + 16% = 27.37

IJN win by 3.5 kilo

------------------------------------------------------------

IJN has 6-10 kilo advantages? that bullshit. IJN never win more than 4.6 kilo...

while USN could win over 8 kilo at tier 8 with pretty cheap cost

-----------------------------------------------------------

also for another record

USN can access +16% range mod from tier 5-10, while IJN has the access for it only for tier 9-10

USN can buy that mod ONLY for 500.000 credit. while IJN need to pay whooping 3.000.000 credit for that mod.

also. i dont think any IJN captain use that 3mil mod slot for range upgrade, cooldown upgrade/2ndary upgrade is better choice for them

-----------------------------------------------------------

for another note

u are whining about hard getting 500k credit? at tier 9 i have to pay 180k credit for repair if i got sunk. where do i get the credit to pay for that?

i play tier 5 to get back my lost credit..

1 game in tier 5 can gives u 50k-250k credit each game depend on ur performance.

also u only need to pay the mod once. and when u sell the ship. u got 250k back.

Edited by ReNation

17 posts
1,175 battles

You presuppose that everybody is going for that range upgrade.  Much as I might enjoy it, I prefer the faster turret movement upgrade because it is more useful at closer ranges.  So, minus your argument, the advantage still goes to the IJN especially if they go with the range advantage.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

u are raging about range. but u are refuse to put range upgrade. such logic :teethhappy:
still... without range upgrade IJN never win more than 6.9 kilo. ur argument about IJN has 10 kilo range advantages is also invalid :teethhappy:

and for a BB put that traverse upgrade in cost of adding more time to the already abbysal RoF, i guess u are one of the rare ppl out there :teethhappy:

well i am out of here. its useless to tell ppl that refuse the explanation. 

17 posts
1,175 battles

You dismiss my arguments because they do not conform to your own conceptions on how to fight a battle.  granted, that BB's are supposed to fight other BB's, when you see your allies getting pounded by the enemy you are shown to have no sense of cameraderie if you are unwilling to brave damage to your BB by coming to their aid.  Long distant firing means nothing at that time, but quick traverse does.  I choose my way, thank you.  

Also, if getting credits is so easy, then using them at the end of battle to repair your sunken ship should not be a problem.

48 posts
1,729 battles

What I do if I am to provide support is to only use the forward guns as much as possible, leaving the aft guns to sway. I do not think all players harbor no compassion towards an ally being beaten up by the opposing team, it's a matter of weighing the situation down and deciding the best course of action, but then again, if we have enough resources to provide aid, why not?

Anyway, I think an extra base range increment on the USN BBs is a good idea. I do envy the range of IJN BBs, but so far, the way I play, it's of no concern yet. The only time I wished for the range was when 0.5.1 was released, and my style of play was all over the place because of the awkward AP deflection, in which even at 6 to 10Km, there are little to no damage from the shells at all.

Sign in to follow this