Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lichtbringer

How to deal with Taiho as Essex

5 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
38 posts
3,824 battles

So here is the issue. I'm running a 1/2/2 Essex as every sane man, and every single time a 2/3/2 Taiho would try to snipe me and they always succeed in 2 runs. I cannot stop them with my fighters: they bring their fighters along and hook mine up while their bombers do their job. The most I could do is to maneuver so that they'll have to wait for a second run to sink me, but I can never survive the 2nd strike. And there is no way cruisers would cover me, as there are absolutely no USN cruisers at that tier and all the ibukis and Zaos are busy doing their ship shooting. What should I do? I can't snipe them as they're doing to me as I don't have air superiority and their fighters can shut me down. 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

i've always been talking about this scenario and people on forums who never played midway/essex keeps on spouting imaginary things to justify their illusion of  OP USN CV.

if you are facing against a very good taiho/haku captain while in essex/midway, i'm afraid the odds are against you even if you are a very good player yourself.
like you say, they bring in their fighter to deal with your only fighter while the their other fighter will deal with your torpedo bombers. people with no experience in high tier cv will cry about the essex fighter wiping out the taiho fighter immediately but this is far from the truth.

to deal with them, i suggest you get the +20% AA range equipment, and after getting the level 5 captain skill, get the basic firing training. use your dive bombers with utmost efficiency. send in 1 dive bomber first and pray for fire, this will disable him rearming his planes so there will be high chance of him repairing it.  if he repairs it, send both your remaining dive bomber and your torpedo bomber after 5 sec(1 of your torpedo bomber would have died from his fighter). if he doesn't repair, the initial fire would hopefully take away chunks of his HP so send in your remaining dive bomber for another fire and this will gurantee a use of repair if he's not an idiot, by then send in your torpedo bombers after 5 sec. this might not be enough but by this time your torpedo bomber and fighter must be done rearming and should be heading to him, go finish him. but if he still doesn't repair, watch his ship take all fire damage and finish him with your remaining torpedo bomber.

of course these are all "perfect world scenario" and will work if there are no random RNG madness (your bombers suddenly die from the taiho AA for no reason,dive bomber hits but no fire, no flood) and your torpedo/dive aiming is top notch. if both of you have CA defense then you'll probably both going for other ships. if one of you have CA defense while the other have none, the result is obvious.

Edited by Deicide

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

So here is the issue. I'm running a 1/2/2 Essex as every sane man, and every single time a 2/3/2 Taiho would try to snipe me and they always succeed in 2 runs. I cannot stop them with my fighters: they bring their fighters along and hook mine up while their bombers do their job. The most I could do is to maneuver so that they'll have to wait for a second run to sink me, but I can never survive the 2nd strike. And there is no way cruisers would cover me, as there are absolutely no USN cruisers at that tier and all the ibukis and Zaos are busy doing their ship shooting. What should I do? I can't snipe them as they're doing to me as I don't have air superiority and their fighters can shut me down. 

Watch Tank_Stryker Wows on YouTube. He will help you 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Watch Tank_Stryker Wows on YouTube. He will help you 

and you'll notice his High Damage games is when he didn't have an equal tiered IJN CV as an enemy. Not wanting to sound arrogant, but also his enemy CVs in those videos are nothing short of dumb. For your sake I suggest to watch those videos for entertainment purposes only. I would rather watch a CV captain losing badly against a very good opponent than a glorified video of a "very good" game out of 100 bad games.

Sign in to follow this