You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TovarichCookie

PAX Wargaming Booth Feedback - In depth.

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4 posts
888 battles

This year's PAX have come and gone, and as per usual, I managed to spend far too much time at the Wargaming booth and neglected the rest of the show, at least on the first day. This year, the quality of the wargaming booth at PAX have taken a noticeable decline compared to  the awesomeness that was on display on 2013 and 2014, and I would like to provide some feedback about this year's booth, and hope that you guys come back stronger than ever next year. I will quickly separate the wargaming booth into separate areas, and comment on what can be improved on each.

The Wargaming booth has a few distinct areas: the stage area, the play area, and the queue / open area. I will start from the stage, and work my way around.

Stage:

The stage, with the giant wall screen and the most visible action to the rest of the convention, was noticeably less well designed this year compared to others. There was no clear, accessible schedule for events on the stage. More accurately, there were almost no notable events happening whatsoever there. In the past two years, there were ten computers set up on the stage, with clear scheduled times when competitions were going to happen, but there was an almost complete lack of communication between the organizers and the crowd, leading to people occasionally grouping up when a presenter was on stage, but nothing more exciting than that. Compared to the high octane, professionally shoutcasted impromptu matches of the previous two years, 2015 was a gigantic let down, with a lack of prizes and skilled competitions.

To improve:

1 - Bring back the ten stage PCs. The 5v5 stage matches are the reason why many people get really, REALLY excited for PAX.

2 - Have a publicly accessible schedule. We want to know when the prize draws, competitions, and other things are happening. The schedule this time was an A4 sheet of paper hidden in the redemption booth that you have to go through 3 staff members to find one that know it exists.

3 - Get the shoutcaster back! The dude did an amazing job of interacting with the crowd and hyping up the event. His absence was very noticeable.

4 - Actual competitions with real prizes. You guys got outdone by your neighbouring Gigabyte booth tenfold, as they not only had a world of tanks tournament, they also gave away awesome prizes and the match was professionally shoutcasted and hyped. It is pretty bad when a third party is giving away 10,000 gold, a gaming mouse and a laptop bag hosting a tournament of YOUR game.

5 - Let people sign up to play in said tournament, and let them know when it is their turn, like the Gigabyte guys.

Queue, open area, and general interaction

The Queue area is, as the name suggests, is where the public line up to play the games or submit their tickets to the draw. In PAX 2013, when you lined up, volunteers came up and down the line to chat with customers, staff were giving out quizzes and handing out tickets to the draw, and the queue was also in full view of any events happening on the stage.

This year, the queue areas for the games are poorly located, down towards the back of the two storey structure, isolated from where the activity of the open area is. People are generally left to fend for themselves when waiting, without much to do in the dark. Frankly, it was so incredibly poorly located and marked people were leaving mid wait because they were getting bored with nothing to do.

To improve:

1 - Put the queue somewhere that is visible to the stage. Don't split your crowd, and give them something to look at / do.

2 - Have more staff / volunteers to interact with people in general. Quizzes, loot throwing, all that stuff!

3 - Have staff at the reception desk that are actually knowledgeable and interested about the game and events happening.

4 - Bring back the tank! It was the best photo opportunity / publicity you can probably get.

Gaming area

Jesus, where do I even begin with the massive disappointment that is the gaming area.

I am going to go back to my example of previous wargaming booths at PAX. In 2013, players from the queue were asked about their experience beforehand, and split into the new and experienced players group. The new players were sat down, and coached in how to play the game by volunteers, while the experienced players were let loose with a challenge: get in a Tier 6, get 3 kills in a round, and win 800 gold. THIS WAS AWESOME. Both new and old players got a nice challenge, and earned some awesome prizes if you were really skilled or lucky. You even saw experienced fans helping their neighbours at times, and were allowed to play other vehicles that they have not unlocked yet, or are just generally unavailable such as the press account / supertester vehicles, and is a major draw for the hardcore fans.

This year, it was just... completely mediocre. There was a total of 3 staff members in the PC booth area, which is far less than enough. There was absolutely nothing worthwhile for an experienced player to be had: You were told to sit down, play one round of a bot match (wtf), and then moved off. What happened? The main draw for experienced fans at the gaming area was to show off their skills, or to try vehicles they normally do not have access to. This was, to put it lightly, disappointing as hell.

To improve:

1 - More staff. There was not enough to attend to the new players.

2 - Challenges with prizes: something simple like the 800 gold for 3 kills challenge was perfect, and helps advertise your booth at basically no cost.

3 - Don't put the PC cases between players. There is no interaction between the players this year, compared to people chatting and playing previously.

4 - DON'T JUST LIMIT PEOPLE TO PVE BATTLES. Seriously. whose idea was this? Dumb beyond reason. EDIT: Some further discussion about this point has taken place below, and good points were made.

Prizes and stuff

And the final part: the prizes. You might notice a pattern by now, and it is: everything was done better in 2013. They had stamp cards that you can collect prizes you want depending on how many stamps you earned around the booth, whereas this year it was completely random. There was no notable competition for prizes, such as the razer challenge and so forth from last year. Your neighbour gave away awesome prizes for a world of tanks tournament, whereas there is not even a tournament at the wargaming booth.

In conclusion? Pull out whatever handbook you guys played by in 2013, and add more awesome stuff to it. Make it look like this AWESOME booth by esl, or it might just look like the hardline booth in the middle of the day, all deserted and alone.

I have played Wargaming games on and off since tanks beta, and have probably sunk well over a thousand hours in over the past half decade, but this event was so disappointing that I was inspired to put down my first forum post. I want to see you guys succeed, and bring back the awesomeness to PAX that you had in 2013. Have a good year, and I hope to see you at PAX in 2016!

Edited by TovarichCookie

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I was told by many people (Not mentioning any names here) that "Wait for PAX for In-game and IRL celebration its gonna be awesome" or something like that.

Edited by Alvin1020

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

This is a terrific write up, complete with issues and proposed solutions.

Remains to be seen if they've the wit or imagination to benefit from it.

Anyway, have a +1 from me for an outstanding post.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Reasonable points, some of which the volunteers raised themselves in our post event debrief :)

I'll answer a couple of specific cases for you.

There were a few reasons for PvE:

1.  Muppets griefing.  This was one of the primary drivers.  Too many were TKing and abusing other players in chat.  We had to control that, either limit the opportunities of the 750 players a day or drive away some of the existing 15-20,000 players?

2.  Ability - of those that came through for WoWS, 95% had not played previously or had only played at PaX!  The primary aim was for those players to enjoy a battle - so the ships that take time to learn/play/understand were dropped after lunch on the Friday.

3.  Time - this was one of the biggest drivers.  We had a target to reach of players through the booth.  In order to meet that and allow for the issues above, PvE in fast BB was decided as the optimal solution to give a reasonable battle, yet maintain a flow.  The OP mentioned people wandering off from the queue, the PvE/Ship selection was in part to come up with a balance between wait time and play time.

4.  Experienced players - as we learnt from feedback during the event, we opened up the ability to play on in the closing hour or so of each day, when the queues had dried up.  We were also doing more "coaching" during that period.

Queue locations and interaction.

Quite simply you can thank PaX for that one.  WG were told no queues outside the booth, and originally designed the booth around having to fit everyone inside it (and from being there you know there just wasn't the space!).  The queues around the outside of the booth were allowed at the last minute.  The queue locations were adjusted each day to fine tune the process.

Agree with you 100% on interaction with the queues.  We (volunteers) were attempting to, but as you pointed out, we were 2-3 people down on previous numbers and we didn't have the "booth babes" we had in 2013 who were doing some of the queue interaction stuff for us.

Cheers

dmw

Super Tester
509 posts

I just want to say on behalf of all players thanks for making it PVE. The last thing I wanted to see was a repeat of the NA and EU server with all the brand new players ruining high level matches with their T10 ships they have never played before. TKing or just getting bored of the game and walking away leaving a ship afk. Gaming convention players are just a total burden on teams and should always be limited to PVE or at the most training room battles vs other convention goers.:great:

I know people who purposely avoided playing the game during PAX opening hours in case they would be swamped by convention players :P

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Just leaving a comment as someone who was enforcing at the ESL booth, do note that the ESL booth was the main eSport stage of PaX. ESL/HiRez only had 8 comps (2 stands with 4 comps each + you had to stand) for the general public to use with an additional 8 xbox stations on Sunday for people who wanted to play Halo5.

I do agree with that there were some line spillage happening at the WG booth, didnt help that they were right next to the entrence to merch/freeplay area.

Beta Tester
4 posts
888 battles

Thanks for the reply, and I understand, if not necessarily agree with the logic behind the implementation of the gaming area booth. Let me offer some suggestions in reply to the points you raised.

I'll answer a couple of specific cases for you.

There were a few reasons for PvE:

1.  Muppets griefing.  This was one of the primary drivers.  Too many were TKing and abusing other players in chat.  We had to control that, either limit the opportunities of the 750 players a day or drive away some of the existing 15-20,000 players?

2.  Ability - of those that came through for WoWS, 95% had not played previously or had only played at PaX!  The primary aim was for those players to enjoy a battle - so the ships that take time to learn/play/understand were dropped after lunch on the Friday.

3.  Time - this was one of the biggest drivers.  We had a target to reach of players through the booth.  In order to meet that and allow for the issues above, PvE in fast BB was decided as the optimal solution to give a reasonable battle, yet maintain a flow.  The OP mentioned people wandering off from the queue, the PvE/Ship selection was in part to come up with a balance between wait time and play time.

4.  Experienced players - as we learnt from feedback during the event, we opened up the ability to play on in the closing hour or so of each day, when the queues had dried up.  We were also doing more "coaching" during that period.

Ability and time: This is where the 2013 option of separating players based on skill level can come into effect! It is completely fine for new players to be put in a fast BB in a PVE match to learn the ropes of the game quickly. You just need to figure out ahead of time in the queue, and apply the appropriate manpower / computers to them, while still allowing for the occasional experienced player to have a challenge / try something new. If 95% of the players are new as you said, having just 5% of people taking up a slightly longer time should not be too big of an issue provided there is improved planning next year. If you are still pressed for time, communicate to the experienced players that they can come back at a certain time later and they can try out new vehicles then.

Muppets griefing: I don't really know much about how bad it was in the previous years, but since warships have a much lower ratio of experienced players (assuming that all other players are limited to PvE), just set aside 3 or 4 computers that are PvP enabled for the experienced players, and each time they go on to play, just remind them that they are representing PAX and expect them to be on their best behaviour. Coupled with the scorescreen checking at the end of round for the kill challenges that they will be aiming for, I am sure that it will mitigate any PvP griefing that may happen, as you do not have 30 odd computers all playing relatively unmonitored compared to the previous years.

I turned up with about seven other tanks / ships players in the same community this year, and they were pretty disappointed compared to the hype of what I described to them in the past years. I understand the change to Warships as the show's primary game brings its own difficulties, but I am certain that you can bring back the sense of challenge and fun that you had in the previous years without sacrificing fun for the event participants or the people out playing at home.

To summarize:

1 - split the players between new and experienced players. New players play PvE in a easy to understand ship, while experienced players play PvP with a goal of getting X amount of kills which also disincentivises poor play / griefing. This both minimises round time and maximises fun potential for all parties involved, while isolating new players from PvP.

2 - disable in game chat for the press accounts if you are really concerned about chat abuse.

We really love playing these games, and coming to PAX to try unique vehicles / get a challenge can be one of our major highlights. I hope these suggestions can make it into next year, but if there are any other concerns I am happy to help brainstorm solutions.

[PANZA]
Alpha Tester
38 posts
1,112 battles

My personal opinions as a community member are expressed here.  they could be complete whale crap.

WoWS area was for new players.  The whole experience is to give players a taste of the game.  It's a marketing event so it's geared towards getting as many new players as possible a go.  Being a new game (Sept 17th,about 45 days before PAX) you can't really start to split players between experienced and new.   You can't look at it from a beta or alpha testers perspective, they are not the norm you have to look at it from the release date.  Hence the focus on PvE and battleships.  We found it the simplest way to introduce the game to new players and give as many people a go as possible.

Next year the event i suspect will be focused differently because the game and it's community will be that much more matured.  This was WoWS first outing as a released game at PAX so lessons will be learned and applied,  after action reports and general brainstorming was started the moment we sat down to the first Post-PAX beer.

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone that came along.  I had fun and it was good to chat with people about the game.  

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

This is a terrific write up, complete with issues and proposed solutions.

Remains to be seen if they've the wit or imagination to benefit from it.

Anyway, have a +1 from me for an outstanding post.

(Writing this as a player, not a mod).

Disappointing comment in the middle there Steeltrap ("Remains to be seen if they've the wit or imagination to benefit from it"). Any need for it? Given that I was head of the community team, so am one of the folks you refer to, I guarantee I have more wit and imagination than you can handle. Your comment is irrelevant really, and I wish you would refrain from such waste. It added nothing to the original post.

For the OP TovarichCookie, I disagree with quite a few things you have raised. I certainly received much positive feedback from countless crowd members across the three days, and some of your points are plain incorrect. However, it's not my opinion that was posted, it's yours. As such, I 100% respect your position on it all, and will read and re-read your post to determine what elements have value to me.There is plenty of useful information in there, so I thank you for the time you've taken in writing it.

FYI, the lead WG guy Jay has been notified of your contribution, and I'm sure he'll take on board your key points. Thanks once again. :-)

EDIT:  Additional FYI, the community team provided an 18 page post activity report to the WG staff. It was drafted by me, but had numerous contributions from the other community members who attended. Good to see that some of your points align with our thoughts too. :-)

Edited by Noppers

Beta Tester
4 posts
888 battles

~post directly above~

Thanks. It is really great to know that the feedback is being listened to. Can I ask what points did I get wrong? As my perspective is only of someone wandering in and out over the weekend, I would naturally only have a limited perspective and might miss a few things, and can only offer observations and opinions from what I see, and if I can see what I have missed I might get a more accurate picture.

EDIT: Is it possible to take a peek at that report? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Edited by TovarichCookie

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

This year's PAX have come and gone, and as per usual, I managed to spend far too much time at the Wargaming booth and neglected the rest of the show, at least on the first day. This year, the quality of the wargaming booth at PAX have taken a noticeable decline compared to  the awesomeness that was on display on 2013 and 2014, and I would like to provide some feedback about this year's booth, and hope that you guys come back stronger than ever next year. I will quickly separate the wargaming booth into separate areas, and comment on what can be improved on each.

The Wargaming booth has a few distinct areas: the stage area, the play area, and the queue / open area. I will start from the stage, and work my way around.

Stage:

The stage, with the giant wall screen and the most visible action to the rest of the convention, was noticeably less well designed this year compared to others. There was no clear, accessible schedule for events on the stage. More accurately, there were almost no notable events happening whatsoever there. In the past two years, there were ten computers set up on the stage, with clear scheduled times when competitions were going to happen, but there was an almost complete lack of communication between the organizers and the crowd, leading to people occasionally grouping up when a presenter was on stage, but nothing more exciting than that. Compared to the high octane, professionally shoutcasted impromptu matches of the previous two years, 2015 was a gigantic let down, with a lack of prizes and skilled competitions.

To improve:

1 - Bring back the ten stage PCs. The 5v5 stage matches are the reason why many people get really, REALLY excited for PAX.

2 - Have a publicly accessible schedule. We want to know when the prize draws, competitions, and other things are happening. The schedule this time was an A4 sheet of paper hidden in the redemption booth that you have to go through 3 staff members to find one that know it exists.

3 - Get the shoutcaster back! The dude did an amazing job of interacting with the crowd and hyping up the event. His absence was very noticeable.

4 - Actual competitions with real prizes. You guys got outdone by your neighbouring Gigabyte booth tenfold, as they not only had a world of tanks tournament, they also gave away awesome prizes and the match was professionally shoutcasted and hyped. It is pretty bad when a third party is giving away 10,000 gold, a gaming mouse and a laptop bag hosting a tournament of YOUR game.

5 - Let people sign up to play in said tournament, and let them know when it is their turn, like the Gigabyte guys.

Queue, open area, and general interaction

The Queue area is, as the name suggests, is where the public line up to play the games or submit their tickets to the draw. In PAX 2013, when you lined up, volunteers came up and down the line to chat with customers, staff were giving out quizzes and handing out tickets to the draw, and the queue was also in full view of any events happening on the stage.

This year, the queue areas for the games are poorly located, down towards the back of the two storey structure, isolated from where the activity of the open area is. People are generally left to fend for themselves when waiting, without much to do in the dark. Frankly, it was so incredibly poorly located and marked people were leaving mid wait because they were getting bored with nothing to do.

To improve:

1 - Put the queue somewhere that is visible to the stage. Don't split your crowd, and give them something to look at / do.

2 - Have more staff / volunteers to interact with people in general. Quizzes, loot throwing, all that stuff!

3 - Have staff at the reception desk that are actually knowledgeable and interested about the game and events happening.

4 - Bring back the tank! It was the best photo opportunity / publicity you can probably get.

Gaming area

Jesus, where do I even begin with the massive disappointment that is the gaming area.

I am going to go back to my example of previous wargaming booths at PAX. In 2013, players from the queue were asked about their experience beforehand, and split into the new and experienced players group. The new players were sat down, and coached in how to play the game by volunteers, while the experienced players were let loose with a challenge: get in a Tier 6, get 3 kills in a round, and win 800 gold. THIS WAS AWESOME. Both new and old players got a nice challenge, and earned some awesome prizes if you were really skilled or lucky. You even saw experienced fans helping their neighbours at times, and were allowed to play other vehicles that they have not unlocked yet, or are just generally unavailable such as the press account / supertester vehicles, and is a major draw for the hardcore fans.

This year, it was just... completely mediocre. There was a total of 3 staff members in the PC booth area, which is far less than enough. There was absolutely nothing worthwhile for an experienced player to be had: You were told to sit down, play one round of a bot match (wtf), and then moved off. What happened? The main draw for experienced fans at the gaming area was to show off their skills, or to try vehicles they normally do not have access to. This was, to put it lightly, disappointing as hell.

To improve:

1 - More staff. There was not enough to attend to the new players.

2 - Challenges with prizes: something simple like the 800 gold for 3 kills challenge was perfect, and helps advertise your booth at basically no cost.

3 - Don't put the PC cases between players. There is no interaction between the players this year, compared to people chatting and playing previously.

4 - DON'T JUST LIMIT PEOPLE TO PVE BATTLES. Seriously. whose idea was this? Dumb beyond reason. EDIT: Some further discussion about this point has taken place below, and good points were made.

Prizes and stuff

And the final part: the prizes. You might notice a pattern by now, and it is: everything was done better in 2013. They had stamp cards that you can collect prizes you want depending on how many stamps you earned around the booth, whereas this year it was completely random. There was no notable competition for prizes, such as the razer challenge and so forth from last year. Your neighbour gave away awesome prizes for a world of tanks tournament, whereas there is not even a tournament at the wargaming booth.

In conclusion? Pull out whatever handbook you guys played by in 2013, and add more awesome stuff to it. Make it look like this AWESOME booth by esl, or it might just look like the hardline booth in the middle of the day, all deserted and alone.

I have played Wargaming games on and off since tanks beta, and have probably sunk well over a thousand hours in over the past half decade, but this event was so disappointing that I was inspired to put down my first forum post. I want to see you guys succeed, and bring back the awesomeness to PAX that you had in 2013. Have a good year, and I hope to see you at PAX in 2016!

Thanks. It is really great to know that the feedback is being listened to. Can I ask what points did I get wrong? As my perspective is only of someone wandering in and out over the weekend, I would naturally only have a limited perspective and might miss a few things, and can only offer observations and opinions from what I see, and if I can see what I have missed I might get a more accurate picture.

EDIT: Is it possible to take a peek at that report? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Rather than what you "got wrong".....let's say that I have a different point of view on a few things. I highlighted in your post above in green what I think are areas where I differ in said opinion. A couple are definitely incorrect, some are due to you not having visibility of what may have occurred perhaps, but a lot are just a difference in opinions. I guess one thing I should say is that I have been on the community team for the past three PAXs.....so I have a pretty good foundation of experience ;-) There are a lot of reasons why I've highlighted some of the stuff in green.....but it's more of a TS chat path than me sitting here typing it out. I don't get a lot of time for forums or gaming unfortunately, so I can't really afford the time to respond to you in the way you would perhaps seek.

Again though, by posting the information you have, it allows those in the management side to have a look at each point on its merits, and consider the "why' behind it.......you posted things for a reason, so the challenge is to work out why that would occur, and avoid it being the case for your future enjoyment of PAX and WG. :-) Should WG ask me to run the team next year, community feedback will of course form a portion of any changes I make in the way I run my team.

EDIT:  A point for you to consider in return........perhaps there is something to be said in the things that I didn't highlight in green, as to where our thoughts are aligned :-)

Edited by Noppers

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Disappointing comment in the middle there Steeltrap ("Remains to be seen if they've the wit or imagination to benefit from it"). Any need for it? Given that I was head of the community team, so am one of the folks you refer to, I guarantee I have more wit and imagination than you can handle. Your comment is irrelevant really, and I wish you would refrain from such waste. It added nothing to the original post.

Let's see, they deleted the forum when they moved from closed beta. Of course that included all the bug reports. Also included the one I raised since 5th JUNE That's a GAME BREAKING one that stops people playing, some of whom PAID MONEY TO PLAY. It also has been reported in EU, too. What's WG done? SFA other than to say "they've passed things to St P" who, seemingly, never responds. 

That's ONE example of a gazillion others I could give that show WG's history is that of getting huge quantities of thoughtful, constructive feedback and suggestions on issues that are real. What have they done with it, especially if it's from this server? Who knows. Sure as hell they never indicate they give a ****. Took them 2.5 YEARS to arrive at MM for WoT I and others had written about in Beta FFS. 

So, no, I don't really care if it annoys people. WG's utter lack of professionalism and indifference to their customers annoys me. I have tons of examples of it, some of which I have used in my own professional life to illustrate certain things (to frequently astounded looks).

The matter of whether WG have the wit and wisdom to profit from some very well thought out, constructive criticism remains open. Based on their track record, I'd not bet on it.

On the other hand you seem to be suggesting they don't run the event with their own staff (you're not staff, are you?) which, somewhat perversely, seems to increase the odds that useful feedback might be acted on.

p.s. if you're going to delete everything that doesn't add anything to the OP, you'll delete at least half the forum, and an awful lot of mod comments.

Edited by Steeltrap

Super Tester
509 posts

I would say one of the biggest dissapointments was the prizes. Normally Wargaming gives away a premium ship/tanks during PAX which they did during PAX NA but this time it seemed like there was just a single code which only worked for WoT.

I did get a "Ship hits the fan" tshirt which was nice but yeah nothing else was exciting.

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

Let's see, they deleted the forum when they moved from closed beta. Of course that included all the bug reports. Also included the one I raised since 5th JUNE That's a GAME BREAKING one that stops people playing, some of whom PAID MONEY TO PLAY. It also has been reported in EU, too. What's WG done? SFA other than to say "they've passed things to St P" who, seemingly, never responds. 

That's ONE example of a gazillion others I could give that show WG's history is that of getting huge quantities of thoughtful, constructive feedback and suggestions on issues that are real. What have they done with it, especially if it's from this server? Who knows. Sure as hell they never indicate they give a ****. Took them 2.5 YEARS to arrive at MM for WoT I and others had written about in Beta FFS. 

So, no, I don't really care if it annoys people. WG's utter lack of professionalism and indifference to their customers annoys me. I have tons of examples of it, some of which I have used in my own professional life to illustrate certain things (to frequently astounded looks).

The matter of whether WG have the wit and wisdom to profit from some very well thought out, constructive criticism remains open. Based on their track record, I'd not bet on it.

On the other hand you seem to be suggesting they don't run the event with their own staff (you're not staff, are you?) which, somewhat perversely, seems to increase the odds that useful feedback might be acted on.

p.s. if you're going to delete everything that doesn't add anything to the OP, you'll delete at least half the forum, and an awful lot of mod comments.

(once again, not as a mod but as a player)

Original question - was there any need for that comment, without you actually knowing who it is relevant to? I thank you for your negative personal feedback against me. I point it out because it adds zero value to anything, and is just a generally poor way of being a bit smug.

Rather than hijack the thread with a "WG is XXXX" post, contribute to positive improvement regarding PAX if you could please. I'm not sure you're the person for the job, given I'm pretty sure you weren't actually at PAX this year, so I'd suspect your credibility to be a bit low. Your somewhat random assumptions and accusations provide ample evidence of this fact.

The topic is PAX. The OP is discussing PAX, good and bad. Stick to topic or maybe resist the temptation to derail a thread because you have your own agenda.

Edited by Noppers

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

(once again, not as a mod but as a player)

Original question - was there any need for that comment, without you actually knowing who it is relevant to? I thank you for your negative personal feedback against me. I point it out because it adds zero value to anything, and is just a generally poor way of being a bit smug.

Rather than hijack the thread with a "WG is XXXX" post, contribute to positive improvement regarding PAX if you could please. I'm not sure you're the person for the job, given I'm pretty sure you weren't actually at PAX this year, so I'd suspect your credibility to be a bit low. Your somewhat random assumptions and accusations provide ample evidence of this fact.

The topic is PAX. The OP is discussing PAX, good and bad. Stick to topic or maybe resist the temptation to derail a thread because you have your own agenda.

1. There was NO personal attack. If there was, quote it. It was a comment on WG's organisational traits as I've experienced them over 5 years (see the p.s.).

2. My post contained 3 lines. TWO of them were praising the OP and encouraging them for excellent, constructive criticism. That's 66.6% of the post. Directly relevant to the OP.

3. You've written large amounts about ONE line in my post. Think anyone would have paid much attention to my middle line if you'd not made such a song and dance about it?

On any objective view, you are derailing this thread and writing stuff not relevant to the OP far more than I. And you're training to be a mod.

Ironic, if unsurprising.

Cheers

p.s. I make my living consulting on business processes, frequently around customer interactions. Usually for multinational companies in financial services (banks, insurance and the like).

An organisation might ask itself "why is it someone who's played our games for years, spent money, and been a very regular and generally well regarded poster, has such a poor opinion of us?".

Or they can get a bit butt hurt over a minor barb.

Which do you think I'd encourage my clients to embrace?

p.p.s. It appears I was editing this when you replied.

Edited by Steeltrap

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

1. There was NO personal attack. If there is, quote it. It was a comment on WG's organisational traits as I've experienced them over 5 years (see the p.s.).

2. My post contained 3 lines. TWO of them were praising the OP and encouraging them for excellent, constructive criticism. That's 66.6% of the post.

3. You've written large amounts about ONE line in my post. Think anyone would have paid much attention to my middle line if you'd not made such a song and dance about it?

On any objective view, you are derailing this thread and writing stuff not relevant to the OP far more than I am. And you're training to be a mod.

Ironic, if unsurprising.

Cheers

p.s. a quality organisation might ask itself "why is it someone who's played our games for years, spent money, and been a very regular and generally well regarded poster (very few warnings, high rep), has such a poor opinion of us?". I make my living consulting on business processes, frequently around customer interactions. Do you think any of this has occurred to anyone in WG? Not that I've noticed.

Lol. Ok bud. Thanks for the feedback for the third time. Good luck with your agenda. Nothing else to be said from me.

Back to the OP.

Vyviel, I notice you mention the prizes. Were you not present for any of the prize draws? Or are you referring to generic goodies? Or in-game stuff?

Super Tester
509 posts

Lol. Ok bud. Thanks for the feedback for the third time. Good luck with your agenda. Nothing else to be said from me.

Back to the OP.

Vyviel, I notice you mention the prizes. Were you not present for any of the prize draws? Or are you referring to generic goodies? Or in-game stuff?

Just talking about generic goodies like PAX NA they gave away 1000s of Marblehead code cards. That kinda regular ingame stuff anyone attending can get. From reading the news posts it sounds like at the Taiwan events they were giving away premium ships.
Edited by Vyviel

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

Just talking about generic goodies like PAX NA they gave away 1000s of Marblehead code cards. That kinda regular ingame stuff anyone attending can get. From reading the news posts it sounds like at the Taiwan events they were giving away premium ships.

We did discuss some of this with the WG guys. They did give away a LOT of free loots, notably keyboards and headsets and such. I think the general missing area was "generic" in-game giveaways, from what I'm seeing of the feedback you gave. Can't give you any answers there I'm afraid...we were a little surprised there was no gold / doubloon giveaway, but certainly there was a lot of other stuff. There were a couple of codes that gave away some free stuff to new players, but I'm not sure if that worked properly (certainly I've had no feedback for / against).

Perhaps the PAX challenges made up for the missing element that some folks were seeking? I was happy with them........although I didn't feel like doing the CV one.

Beta Tester
4 posts
888 battles

The thing is, while there IS loot given away, there are very few ways to work towards them. If the loot given away were say, prizes for an on stage tournament as opposed to the random draws, it would have been much, much better. I mean, RNGesus already hates me in game, and the bloke aint coming around for me when time comes for the lucky draw. 

I suppose at this point I should clarify my point about the lack of prizes in the OP - It is the lack of prizes that does not require a major element of randomness to get. Get X kill challenges, tournaments, activity stamp cards for certain loot is the way to go in my opinion. I still have some of the awesome metal mugs from the stamp cards at PAX 2013 at home and use them daily. Hell, throw 500 gold at people for getting a quiz question right on the stage, should not cost wargaming all that much and creates alot of hype and excitement.

Edited by TovarichCookie

58 posts
2,867 battles

Certainly my main reason for attending was the potential WoWS 'in-game' loot... which wasn't there at all.  Got two 2-shirts and some folders (3-kill on tanks and 4-kill on warships); didn't win any draws.

I have a NA account as well, and it currently has two premium ships and a chunk of Dubloons on it (from their active comps and PAX stuff).

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

I would say one of the biggest dissapointments was the prizes. Normally Wargaming gives away a premium ship/tanks during PAX which they did during PAX NA but this time it seemed like there was just a single code which only worked for WoT.

I did get a "Ship hits the fan" tshirt which was nice but yeah nothing else was exciting.

The thing is, while there IS loot given away, there are very few ways to work towards them. If the loot given away were say, prizes for an on stage tournament as opposed to the random draws, it would have been much, much better. I mean, RNGesus already hates me in game, and the bloke aint coming around for me when time comes for the lucky draw. 

I suppose at this point I should clarify my point about the lack of prizes in the OP - It is the lack of prizes that does not require a major element of randomness to get. Get X kill challenges, tournaments, activity stamp cards for certain loot is the way to go in my opinion. I still have some of the awesome metal mugs from the stamp cards at PAX 2013 at home and use them daily. Hell, throw 500 gold at people for getting a quiz question right on the stage, should not cost wargaming all that much and creates alot of hype and excitement.

Certainly my main reason for attending was the potential WoWS 'in-game' loot... which wasn't there at all.  Got two 2-shirts and some folders (3-kill on tanks and 4-kill on warships); didn't win any draws.

I have a NA account as well, and it currently has two premium ships and a chunk of Dubloons on it (from their active comps and PAX stuff).

All good feedback IMO. I have no doubt that the WG guys will take it on board.

Super Tester
808 posts
1,399 battles

the 3 kill challenges could be easily completely in WoT because those accounts has every tank/ship in the game.

A day 1 player who I introduced to world of tanks because its easy to get into, won the 3 kill challenge purely because the tank he picked was the Panzer J full of APCR ammunition. In his first match ever, at the convention.

meanwhile I watched my other friend go through the ships booth like 5 times trying to get the prize, he got it in the end but was pretty salty on how a complete newbie got a decent prize (usb stick with WG engraving and wooden finish) without even trying.

You should really fine tune those competitions to be for a specific tier.

Edited by iLordShade

[151ST]
In-Training Moderator
95 posts
4,636 battles

the 3 kill challenges could be easily completely in WoT because those accounts has every tank/ship in the game.

A day 1 player who I introduced to world of tanks because its easy to get into, won the 3 kill challenge purely because the tank he picked was the Panzer J full of APCR ammunition. In his first match ever, at the convention.

meanwhile I watched my other friend go through the ships booth like 5 times trying to get the prize, he got it in the end but was pretty salty on how a complete newbie got a decent prize (usb stick with WG engraving and wooden finish) without even trying.

You should really fine tune those competitions to be for a specific tier.

I'd disagree slightly with you a little there. The challenges were for a number of kills, reward given, over a 30 minute window. I think it's a bit rich suggesting that the "better" or veteran players should be given preference over the newer players. I'm a veteran of 5 or 6 years now......can't remember how long actually.....and I would encourage more towards developing new players. Just a bit of bad luck IMO that your friend didn't get the prize.....perhaps his skills weren't up to it?

Alpha Tester
4 posts
1,215 battles

I thought the people who were working on the stage, both the MCs and the volunteers who were playing games and teaching, were excellent.  That Nkopers guy is cool.

The guy with the shaved head and the trench coat was not very good at ships or tanks though.