Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kultabashi

US DD Mahan VS Premium Sims

13 comments in this topic

520 posts
11,134 battles

Given both are in tier 7, Mahan was recently Buffed, but the Sims is a premium, what would be the Better ship.

My purpose for asking, is that i noticed, that for me, Tier 7 gives the best Returns in terms of Credits and XP, and i was looking both ships as my ATM for creds and XP

Anyone have any experience in comparison with both ships?

520 posts
11,134 battles

Lol, sorry bro, even if Kiev has been busting my arse, lowering my win rate.... im still a US Dd player.  I love the benson and fletcher, and i think sims is the closest Predecesor to the 2 ships mentioned

Mahan is the Closest to Farragut, which i also like.... but much slower then sims... its still ok.  Thats why im choosing between Mahan and Sims.

Edited by kultabashi

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Lol, sorry bro, even if Kiev has been busting my arse, lowering my win rate.... im still a US Dd player.  I love the benson and fletcher, and i think sims is thw closest Predecesor to the 2 ships mensioned.

Mahan is the Closest to Farragut, which i also like.... but much slower then sims... its still ok.  Thats why im choosing between Mahan and Sims.

I cannot give you the precise opinion about that since i dont have Mahan at the moment and didn't play Sims lately.

But i guess if i have to pick Sims is just better option in term of credits earning and also you can use your high tier DD captain in that ship without have to retrain so extra EXP for Fletcher or Gearing captain is nice.   

520 posts
11,134 battles

Good point, well.... i already have a Fletcher and Gearing.... im looking into more credits to maintain high tier ships.  Currently, im using the Mahan, and i am honestly struggling becausen of its low speed for a US DD(35 kts), but im sure over time... ill get used to it.

Your post is one of the reasons why im cosidering the sims

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,295 battles

After the recent buff. I think Mahan is now a better ship. Mahan has more guns compared to Sims and her guns are some what more durable than Sims's. Her torpedoes are also better than Sims's torps. Aside from the high top speed, Sims has nothing better than Mahan.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

After the recent buff. I think Mahan is now a better ship. Mahan has more guns compared to Sims and her guns are some what more durable than Sims's. Her torpedoes are also better than Sims's torps. Aside from the high top speed, Sims has nothing better than Mahan.

In term torpedoes i think they're both kinda same since Sims have optional 9.2km.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

Sims is a pure support DD and is likely to lose any DD duel she enters.

The reason for this is her horrible shell trajectory, her guns are quite literally mortars,

which require firing far ahead of targets even at close range and need several seconds more than other DD shells to reach the target.

Her torpedo choice is either...

... short ranged for ambush and husar assaults.

... long ranged for occasional un-aware hits or making ships turn into unfavourable positions.

Personally I play her as a pure support and thus only in divisions.

She works great together with BBs or CAs that play aggressively and she can easily 

score consecutive hits on any BB and CA if aimed properly.

Her downfall in this is the low amount of damage dealt, unless you catch an enemy off guard with the torpedoes

you're not going to get much damage done, however it's not like you really need to.

TmJgWyG.jpg

HsBE7K7.jpg

63Vy1wp.jpg

19rbH7j.jpg

AgpMgRH.jpg

QutVMZq.jpg

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,295 battles

In term torpedoes i think they're both kinda same since Sims have optional 9.2km.

Yeah. But try to hit anything with that 49 knots torpedo. Even at point blank range, a New Mex is able to dodge 4 out of 8. And the damage is also crap AF! Even a full salvo wouldn't be enough to sink a Colorado.
Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Yeah. But try to hit anything with that 49 knots torpedo. Even at point blank range, a New Mex is able to dodge 4 out of 8. And the damage is also crap AF! Even a full salvo wouldn't enough to sink a Colorado.

I know what you mean since i usually running 5.5km one, Even that short-range torps its still hard to take down capital ships even full salvo hit :D:D:D

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

The sims is not running the upgraded torps as the mahan?

Of course not.

The damage is terrible (8500) and the speed is abysmal (49 knots).

520 posts
11,134 battles

Of course not.

The damage is terrible (8500) and the speed is abysmal (49 knots).

Wow!  That sucks.... well... thats a deal breaker for me.  I was expecting the Sims to be like a FAST Mahan with less torps.....  More like a Farragut/Benson Combination.... Hmmm...i wouldnt be willing to pay for a premium that is rather Unbalanced.

Sign in to follow this