Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

I need some help with BBs.

16 comments in this topic

[AE]
200 posts
9,488 battles

My BB play is just sooooo painful.

Have previously raised some "balance" issues in forum. Still, need to stop complaining and get better. (Even remotely competitive  would be acceptable).

Guts of it is that I am pretty aggressive, mainly from my WoT play. For that reason I am quite enjoying DDs when I play them. (When teammates play them its just too painful to watch. Game after game teammates DD sit back firing useless salvo after useless salvo of torps at 8km targets. Usually game is lost because other teams DDs are far more aggressive, and our DDs are often last ones standing). Of course, if they are the last ones standing, they've been doing it wrong. CAs are just OP. Nice. As mentioned in other posts, I just don't fear BBs when I am in cruiser. Now to my point. Im a very aggressive player. Sometimes it works. Others get the idea and we form a wolfpack. But when I BB its a different story. Virtually nobody I have seen plays BBs aggressively. Most players just sit around back milling about and circling. Problem with that, and certainly the problem I AM HAVING, is that it doesn't work, at least in the sense that it tends to be a losing strategy. Ive checked the xp at games end and most times BBs have done very little. Also circling at back seems to me to be a shit way to spend 12-15 mins. So today I kept pushing up in BB. What happens most times is that for the first 2 mins the DDs and CAs with me come along. THIS MAKES ME THINK THEY HAVE THE SAME IDEA, WOLFPACK. Now if I was in a CA, no problem, but as soon as we come around the corner of an island I get stuck in, and really commit. I look back and all my DD and CA mates have run. They literally take one shot and leave. Problems is that whereas they can disengage, I can't. At this point I may take one or two enemy with me, but I am then overwhelmed. The teammates with me then go back to where we came from and mill around a while until they inevitably loose.

Any suggestions? Mill around at back and do less damage than what I can do in a tier 1-3 cruiser? OR go in hard and do damage and die? Is there a mid-ground playstyle, and what is it? Problem is that the BBs are so painfully vulnerable to DDs that they are afraid to close. Sit at back and a nice set of torp bombers will drop some torps 300m off your side and you have wasted 12 mins. I know from the forum that my accuracy is reasonable. I am straddling, but its rare for one to connect. In a cruiser almost every CA shot connects. What gives? Its just so unrealistic. WW1 Crusier (St. Louis) hits with say 50+ % of its rounds. WW2 BB (FUSO) lands one good hit every 3-5 salvos possibly. End up doing 40k damage in tier 1-3 ship, can barely get a regular 30k dam in a WW2 BB.

Rambling, but that's pretty much it. Obviously others are having same problem, I see them every game.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

"For that reason I am quite enjoying DDs when I play them. (When teammates play them its just too painful to watch. Game after game teammates DD sit back firing useless salvo after useless salvo of torps at 8km targets. Usually game is lost because other teams DDs are far more aggressive, and our DDs are often last ones standing). Of course, if they are the last ones standing, they've been doing it wrong"

So DDs have to go in and die in 5 mins i guess :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

To OP you pretty much summed up why I don't like playing BB's.

What you are doing does sound like a pretty good strategy but you are going to have to accept the fact that if you are aggressive and the rest of your team is not then you are going to die quickly. If you can get some good damage in then that might be a good as it gets. This is certainly better than milling around the spawn waiting for an opportunity to come along.

Edited by Pinnacul

48 posts
1,729 battles

1. Depending on the BB you're handling, learn its specifications and test everything from armor, speed, turret traverse, gun reload, gun placements, rudder shift rate, and the infamous dispersion. Speed ships are good at advancing to target locations, while slow ships are effective on base defense and support to the advancing ships.

2. In this game, it's most likely influenced by luck and decision-making. What triggers an early ship turnaround is due to the BB's poor visual acuity, and deep caution to the possible incoming threats that may cripple the player's ship. CL/A's and DD's are quite maneuverable, that these ships can turn as fast as they can as needed.

3. Being aggressive is not a bad decision by simply doing so. The only problem is, if you're the only one who'll try to cross the borderline of the teams to pin the opposing ships, and no one supports you...the damage will be painful. However, a successful push can lead to satisfactory results.

4. Sequential gun fires when in doubt

5. Learn the capacity of the other ships on other tiers.

6. May the best of the day's RNG be with you :P

406 posts
6,287 battles

Okay - currently I am at Tier 7 with BBs, so I have been through your pain.

Relying on your Team Mates is generally a good way to Die badly, But as you say, sitting back and sniping is also ineffective.

I have found my best strategy is to advance slowly (1/2 power to 3/4 power) to let your DDs and CAs scout an area - then you can decide whether to engage aggressively or whether to sit back. As a BB, the worst thing you can do is overextend and then get focussed by half the enemy team.

The best range I find to work with a BB is the 7-10 Km mark (especially US BBs), Here you can Angle, Engage/Disengage and generally be as accurate as you can be.

Since it takes so long to Disengage, generally you want to disengage early, rather than later - use your ship repair to your advantage (disengage, repair, wait for the Damage control party to reload etc.)

Secondaries are painful at lower tiers (and only mildly palatable at higher tiers) but you can use them and be aggressive, especially if you are close to a target with low health or its you vs a DD (that is always fun when you win)

Turning takes a while, but once a BB starts to turn, it really does turn, use this to your advantage

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

The balance in the game is somewhat SNAFU/FUBAR.

Lower tier BBs are generally pretty awful. Tier 6 are good, 7 either meh or terrible, then 8+ are great.

Bad dispersion and bad RoF make things like the New York a chore.

On top of that the devs have admitted basically releasing untested changes to armour/damage models that have more or less broken things even more, LOL.

So I'm not playing at all. I don't like the damage/balance as it is, but I'm sure as hell not about to play when even the devs say they've broken it.

As for tactics, the USN BBs before the North Carolina have the problem of NOT being able to choose the engagement due to the crippling 21kt max speed. If your team is typically 'brave' then if you push forwards you're toast, quite literally. I also happen to thing the damage model makes the bow a particular weak spot to HE, despite the fact that there's nothing there, but I suppose it's a case of 'reasons'. USN BBs generally seem to suffer worse from HE than IJN.

All in all if your team doesn't play as a team, and of course it typically doesn't, but the devs have designed the game around the presumption of team play with rock-paper-scissor, then it shouldn't surprise you to find you're not able to do your role because others aren't doing theirs leaving you vulnerable to your particular weakness. Lack of mobility is a real option killer, so the USN BBs below tier 8 really pay for it.

One last thing to recognise is the game as a BB inherently leaves you HUGELY at the mercy of RNG. You can position yourself well, not present your broadside, fire at appropriate targets at good angles, and have excellent situational awareness for planes and DDs....and then get hosed because RNG gives you the finger while someone on the other side hits the citadel jackpot repeatedly. Not that many BBs are getting citadels with AP right now I suspect given the screwup of damage/armour that was the last update.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,554 battles

"On top of that the devs have admitted basically releasing untested changes to armour/damage models that have more or less broken things even more, LOL"

Yep, don't bother with BB until they fix untested dispersion and citadel changes.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Hot fix for AP coming in the next couple of days.

Hopefully before this weekends play :playing:

Since I'm asking, how about some port slot discounts as well? :B

580 posts
1,587 battles

"On top of that the devs have admitted basically releasing untested changes to armour/damage models that have more or less broken things even more, LOL"

Yep, don't bother with BB until they fix untested dispersion and citadel changes.

Wait what??? I've been playing with a broken mechanic lately??? Where was this information taken from my good sir??

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Hopefully before this weekends play :playing:

Since I'm asking, how about some port slot discounts as well? :B

Sure, why not. How about 300 a pop?

wrong person to ask, but I will pass you inquiry up the chain

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

Still on level 4 BB, but what can I suggest is ...

When you play BB, you had to be act like a commander. When you see your teammate CA and DD gone to far from your position, you have to tell them to pull back. Or when they left behind, ask them to go forth, accompanying your BB. There's is nothing better when a DD, CA and BB move together to destroy an enemy. When CA harass an enemy with HE, the enemy are panic over their Ship modules are being disabled here and there. Then come a torpedo warning by DD, if hits better, if not it's not a problem. And lastly, on their panic, come a deathly salvo by BB. This is the play I've been doing, and usually end with good result.

But when the CA and DD didn't hear me out, usually I will be eaten by enemy DD or harass by enemy CA with HE that disabled my ship module till death by flooding or fire dps damage. My teammate DD will get wasted without inflict decent damage to enemy. My teammate CA just basically think this game reward people that can live till the end of the match, so they just shoot from afar and escape the hard situation and left the formation. In the end, matches are lost and getting low score.

People should realize that BB should be the center of their movement. Not guarding them, but attack together for much impact.

Killing ship is not getting you much rewards, but inflicting a lot of damage does. Kill 3 enemy with DD's torpedo get me small reward, but succeed landed 100+ hits with CA get me big rewards, even if I'm not destroy any enemy.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Still on level 4 BB, but what can I suggest is ...

When you play BB, you had to be act like a commander. When you see your teammate CA and DD gone to far from your position, you have to tell them to pull back. Or when they left behind, ask them to go forth, accompanying your BB. There's is nothing better when a DD, CA and BB move together to destroy an enemy. When CA harass an enemy with HE, the enemy are panic over their Ship modules are being disabled here and there. Then come a torpedo warning by DD, if hits better, if not it's not a problem. And lastly, on their panic, come a deathly salvo by BB. This is the play I've been doing, and usually end with good result.

But when the CA and DD didn't hear me out, usually I will be eaten by enemy DD or harass by enemy CA with HE that disabled my ship module till death by flooding or fire dps damage. My teammate DD will get wasted without inflict decent damage to enemy. My teammate CA just basically think this game reward people that can live till the end of the match, so they just shoot from afar and escape the hard situation and left the formation. In the end, matches are lost and getting low score.

People should realize that BB should be the center of their movement. Not guarding them, but attack together for much impact.

Killing ship is not getting you much rewards, but inflicting a lot of damage does. Kill 3 enemy with DD's torpedo get me small reward, but succeed landed 100+ hits with CA get me big rewards, even if I'm not destroy any enemy.

You're just going to have to learn what other players call "Map Awareness"... Not everyone can think alike in this game, and plus there's a language barrier so English might not get through to everyone... I assume by now you must've grasped the concept of "Map Awareness" have you? It's what I've learned from people here that raises your survival chances...

44 posts
6,340 battles

Well, I don't know, I think BBs are fine since the AP upgrade. I even liked the New York pre AP fix, which seems to get a lot of hate, and the New Mexico is tremendous and a hell of a brawler when things get a bit hairy.

The Myogi.......now that thing does drain my desire to play. I guess I like the US BBs better because they really seem to thrive when you get stuck in rather than sitting back.

The thing that bothers me is the lack of awareness from the skippers of smaller craft who don't seem to have any concept of just how long it takes to turn around one of these things, let alone  with how long your guns can be pointing away from the enemy while you're setting up for a new firing run, so they just seem to assume I can just swing around to clear them and everything will be just fine, never mind that I'll have half my guns out of action for a minute.

Bottom line is that some players just lack aggression, whatever it is they're driving. Some even see fit to run away to the quieter end of the map, just like in WoT. I wouldn't want some of these guys next to me in a trench, but overall I'm pretty OK with the standard of play. It's not perfect but it's light years ahead of what the SEA server for WoT was like when it started...............except for the driving bit. I'm even quite often actually impressed with the standard of some players. so it could be much, much worse.

Sign in to follow this