Sign in to follow this  
TepidusLegend

Help me be better

28 comments in this topic

222 posts
3,269 battles

Alright, I've been playing this game up to a tier 7 myoko, but somehow i still suck really bad in this game. Lately i keep getting lynched by entire groups of enemies and falling into traps. Nobody wants to lead or be led here, so instead of tactically engaging the enemy, they just group up and try to wait for stupid people like me to advance alone. 

I don't want to suck forever so please, tell me how to be better. 

Super Tester
315 posts
4,231 battles

Alright, I've been playing this game up to a tier 7 myoko, but somehow i still suck really bad in this game. Lately i keep getting lynched by entire groups of enemies and falling into traps. Nobody wants to lead or be led here, so instead of tactically engaging the enemy, they just group up and try to wait for stupid people like me to advance alone. 

Step 1 : play Minekaze ( or what ships you like )
Step 2 : save exp and free exp
Step 3 :  use money to covert all the ship's exp to free exp
Step 4 : now you can skip the Myoko to what tier you want 

that is the fastest way to join better MM :)  cuz you can't be better , can't face to all the enemy if you have no one support from behind , so sad :hiding:

Edited by Zekamashimakaze

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Although Myoko is a really solid-ass cruiser and possibly the most solid at her tier.

Questions though: do you frequently move into a sector alone or with a very weak force against a superior line? What ships do you nominally use or are proficient with?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

scout planes, they are handy at spotting enemy behind islands.

always go with a buddy or two, don't go alone.

don't sail on straight line, even without enemy visible keep changing your course and speed even slightly, they will help evading torpedo that might have fire at your direction by a hidden DD.

be wary of corners and small islands, there might be dd lurking there.

learn how to count, count the enemy that are still alive and visible enemy on the map. they to guess where are the other missing enemies base on where did you saw  them last.

222 posts
3,269 battles

@yansuki It's very difficult to know what people want to do, especially with the language barrier going on in WOWS SEA.  Either i stay behind since nobody gives me a clear answer on what they plan to do, or try to advance on my own. Funny thing about fleet vs fleet engagements is that battleships hesitate to push.

In times when i thought that people would advance when they actually wont, leads me to my death

I only use cruisers now.(KM, IJN & USN) Since i pretty much suck at driving a dd and battleship.

(btw can anybody teach me some gaming-related chinese? and how to enable mandarin? I can't seem to understand the words of my chinese team mates)

Well... People often say that one must angle their myokos. But what do you do when there's more than one ship? Not to mention your bad turret placement and traverse speed makes your vulnerable citadel even more vulnerable.

@NguyenArchitakuVN I like listening to John Cena's theme when i somehow got lucky and manage to be badass in a match. Or when I'm losing, or anything really.

Edited by TepidusLegend

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Really, when ever you feel like you are a noob. Stop playing high tiers and jump into a low tier ship. You will feel much better killing tons of newbies rather than trying to kill one skilled player. Just like what i do. Kuma, Tenryuu, Clemson, Isokaze and Iyaslav are the best low tier ships. 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Welcome to the club on cruisers then.

Read this since it might really help you if you really want to be the reason your team gains or regains the initiative in a match.

A cruiser has its limitations in surface combat however. What you should probably do is NOT stick out like crap on a stick because a cruiser can only take so much punishment and savvy battleships will always target you since you are more easier to kill with their guns than their counterparts and your armaments can't really deal significant damage onto a battleship. The Myoko doesn't really have a 'bad' turret layout since most of your firepower is at the fore section and when you bring all your guns to bear, don't wait for the hull to lay horizontal to the enemy since the moment all guns align, unload them and if at 10km below, the moment you turn and there are no friendlies nearby, dump your torpedoes. Only get in close if and when you are absolutely sure you can kill them without sustaining heavy damage and you can move out without being hailed with rounds.

That's what I would usually do on the Myoko and more proficient users of the heavy cruiser would usually help the team gain the initiative back if it was lost like in domination mode.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

there's a shorcut for asking for help, F7 i believe. in most of my game everytime i use it there's always someone who help me. e.g help me cap this point, help me focus this enemy, or SoS if your in great danger. it will not work all the time but sometimes they do.

1 post
1 battles

Steps 1, 2 and 3 

1/ remember game is shit - but looks great

​2/ game encourages cowardice by rewarding hiding

3/  there is NO teamwork only self-preservation 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

@EvyL I'm very sorry my friend, but you have not answered the question regarding communication.

Communication wise, why not always assume the language barrier is in full effect, observe the flow of battle and then move by your own initiative by providing bulwark to a line that needs it most? Aren't you a cruiser? Even those proficient players that don't use the chatbox in the match still dictated the tempo, ya know. And most that I've seen that had a major influence were the cruisers.

Just my bit though.

Edited by EvyL

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

there's a shorcut for asking for help, F7 i believe. in most of my game everytime i use it there's always someone who help me. e.g help me cap this point, help me focus this enemy, or SoS if your in great danger. it will not work all the time but sometimes they do.

Rather than using F7, using F3 to highlight priority targets (i.e. zones for capture, priority targets) goes a long way in directing your team

222 posts
3,269 battles

@EvyL I'm very sorry friend, but you see, I do not possess the innate ability to observe the flow of battle like you do. 

I am not some sort of a prodigy that could understand where my team mates want to go or how the flow of battle without getting an example. The only thing i have is a gut feeling in which i sort of feel that my team might be losing this engagement or maybe, the match is unwinnable.

How about if we were to share a division with each other first? I think I may be able to understand this ability that you described earlier.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

@EvyL I'm very sorry friend, but you see, I do not possess the innate ability to observe the flow of battle like you do. 

I am not some sort of a prodigy that could understand where my team mates want to go or how the flow of battle without getting an example. The only thing i have is a gut feeling in which i sort of feel that my team might be losing this engagement or maybe, the match is unwinnable.

How about if we were to share a division with each other first? I think I may be able to understand this ability that you described earlier.

lol its not about being a prodigy. If we speak of seasoned players who practically bring influence to the team, players like Haku or Deathskyz can do just that. I'm at the level of just an average smuck but I still want to help as much as I can twitch. Just look at the map and constantly ask this to yourself when you roll in a cruiser: "where in the world should I be in where I can do a lot of good?"

As for rolling together, I only roll in the afternoons 5-8pm GMT + 8 although on saturday I can roll the whole day.

Frequently check the map and see where most of the team goes and pay extra attention to where the battleships are going because if we go in poetic BS, those things are the force of the battle line. One thing I can say when you act as an anti-cruiser or anti-destroyer screen for battleships is this: be a total asshole to them. Punish them until time unending. A cruiser is most potent against its colleagues and destroyers and if given enough time, even battleships will start being wary towards you. Don't try to be a hero early in the game because that gets you sunk early. I've done it and I still learn it.

Sadly, that's all the bit I can give you when rolling in a cruiser. Being in a battleship is way different since at most, you have to be at the tip of the spear while tanking in a lot of hits and handling a destroyer is another thing entirely. Unless you want to overwatch the entire map in the carrier that is.

Edited by EvyL

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,867 battles

I was actually started WoWs and focussing solely on IJN BB line...after getting my Nagato, some times I do good in battles with very good shell hit but sometimes I cant just seem to hit em no matter how many times I adjusted my aims, and was getting frustrated...also I kinda realized I need credits to support it...so the vets I know suggested for me to start grind on the CA and DD lines...I went CA and surprisingly I fell in love with St Louis... with its fast gameplay and guns I get better at aiming and hitting enemy in all distance...and I started to learn to use the LMB shooting and RMB to move and to adjust my aim few miliseconds...then when I go play back at BB...it gets easier...less shot misses and more hits. And back then when I am in BB idk where to go...but with many games now...somehow youve learn where is the way to go and where you shouldnt. Playing many ships too will give you a good idea of what the enemy ships can do to you. And if theres no one else with you...either turn back or calculate your odds...and sometimes you can help your team mates by giving them direction on where we should go...

48 posts
1,729 battles

- learning personal preferences along with the ships of choice

- adapt to the changes all throughout your existence in the game

- think and plan ahead

- decide no matter what the circumstances are. either you have good or bad decision, it's way better than being indecisive with all the ruckus going on.

- exercise some aiming and shooting with the bots

- more focus, less blame. it is fun this way

- accept all failures and savor success

- enjoy no matter what :D

cheers!

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,226 battles

After looking at your stats I can say that your hit ratio is actually pretty good so gunnery seems to be your thing.

A few tips.

Be patient and hang back a little at the start of the match, look at the mini map and go where the rest of the big guns are going.

Here's a protip for all newbies on which ship to target first, Kill the weakest most damaged with least points first, get that ship off the battlefield and back into port because a ship with 1 hit point is still a dangerous ship that can kill you.

In the Myoko never ever sail side on to an enemy, the Myoko is 661 feet 9 inches long, longer than a lot of BB's out there so angle yourself and make your ship a smaller target.

1 more thing....try and get into the habit of constantly glancing at your mini map to keep your situational awareness updated, it sounds like your getting tunnel vision on one target and losing focus on where your ship is in relation to the enemy which will get you rek'd every time.

Have fun.:honoring:

91 posts
6,556 battles

try destroyer. after several days, maybe weeks, you will love this game.

[LYNMF]
7 posts
5,735 battles

a simple thing that i did is

advance at 1/2 or 1/4 speed, but retreat at full speed

those "passive" team mate may be able to follow you at effective range and help you when needed

and i always turn back at the first time detected when im alone

checking a flank alone could be fine, but pushing it against multiple enemy is not

besides as cruiser meeting the enemy destroyer 1st is the things to look forward for isn't it?

[TF-16]
38 posts
844 battles

Another thing, know your enemy max firing range against yours and you can strategically maneuver to avoid/shoot at your enemies more effectively.:izmena:

683 posts
7,325 battles

Try to.communicate with your teammates. They are passive maybe because they had bad experiences in advancing too far out in previous matches, be it due to inexperienced or left to die by their teammates. Try talk to your teammates, tell them what you wanna do and ask for support.

[MEGA]
4,560 posts
17,542 battles

well to be honest, i can speak chinese, english and a little malay/indonesian, and i've found that no one actually gives a damn about what you say even if you are speaking their native language, so from over 3500 round of experience, best thing to do is to

1. start moving in a direction first, most players in this game are sheeple (no offence) and they will generally follow whoever moves firsts, so if you really like to be in control of the flow of your team, lead by example (must be first to move or effect wont be so good)

2. click sectors of minmap and use F3 liberally, there is never a thing such as not marking one guy enough, if there is no one doing what you asked, then it probally means that either what you asked them to do is stupid of they cant do it (might be a case of tunnel vision in your case), zoom back out and check what ur buddies are doing

3.use SIMPLE ENGLISH: right, most players in this game cant recite Shakespeare, or even do a 10th grade reading comprehension, but they always do know a LITTLE english, i've listed the most useful ones

CV need AA?

need help

need AA

plz spot(combined with clicking minimap)

kill first(combined with F3)

help XXX (combined with F3 or clicking minimap)

4.quick commands(F3-11) are shown in the language that the player has chosen in the client language(can be changed in settings in the log in client), so if you use those, you genrally can get your point across

hope this helps your game play mate, cheers

Edited by drakon233

Sign in to follow this