Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Retia

Undeserved Rewards

25 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Earlier today I had a fairly meh battle on Fault Line in my Mutsuki.

The battle started fairly well, with me getting some good shots off on a Kuma without taking damage despite

him and a Cleveland shooting at me over on the eastern side.

Since both the Kuma and Cleveland had more support coming up I decided to sail through the passage between the two islands

and into to middle. (There was an out of position BB in torpedo range near the middle)

Well, as luck is a cake, and I'm the eternal slave to "Oh, I should've expected that." situations, I ran into

the enemy's Mutsuki inside the passage and without any other option than to launch torpedoes, turn and pray, we both sunk each other.

So there I was, ~3k damage on the Kuma and a full hp Mutsuki kill.

Pretty bad... is what you'd think, but then the reward screen popped up.

1258 base exp? For doing bugger all?

For getting myself caught in a win-win situation?

I can't see how getting that much base exp for failing hard can be considered normal.

Mind you, I also helped capturing the point, but 1258 exp? ... Kind of too much in my opinion.

You could argue that I took out a ship, damaged another and played the objective, too.

Hence explaining why I'm 2nd in my team with a pretty good amount of exp.

However it's not like I was the only one capping the base... and additionally, look over to the other team.

Yeap, that's the Mutsuki I double-suicided with, and he's also second best (exp-wise) in his team...

Now I don't know what he did prior to our mexican stand off, but from where he was in relation to our ships in the middle,

I'd say he didn't do much better than me.

I dunno, feels like the rewards require some adjustments, though I'm not sure how you would do it without causing

issues due to reverse situations.

I.e. doing really well, but then gaining less rewards than expected.

Plus the more complex rules are the more likely it is that issues arise or the rules get exploited...

Game development in a nutshell I gues... double-edged swords everywhere. :x

zbHWnpI.jpg

irWiAlA.png

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

WG had this idea where if you capped a flag by yourself, you will get rewarded a lot of XP (i don't know the exact amount but others could fill me in). While if there are more ships, the XP reward will be distributed by, again, i don't know the exact calculation.

Now,, here's lies the conundrum. I will give you a scenario in which i've gotten massive rewards for my aggression in capping the flag.

I was aggressively pushing all the way to the enemy base. Leaving trails of destruction as i spearheaded my team push. However, as luck would have it, my team spreaded out as soon as we were close to the enemy base. This all happening while the enemy fleet was also nearing to our base. I was the only one left to cap the flag, now it's a battle down to whoever caught the flag first. And we were lucky to win because i was the only ship inside the enemy base, and i went undetected throughout my cap.

With that being said. How would you distribute this xp reward???? Of course it should have been given all to me, and it gives me more incentives to capture flag and defend the flag, depending on the objective. Not my half ass teammates who split up chasing other ships totally ignoring the fact that if we lose, they wouldn't get nearly as much XP. The way i see it, WG is giving more incentives for people to play DD.

1,230 posts
2,389 battles

Who cares then? It's good for you. Do you want WG to fix it and reduce the number of exp and creds received even if you go full derp-mode? No... :D:D:D

People who are responsible cares

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

People who are responsible cares

Then maybe WG should start telling us how they decided how much XP we won in a round.

Super Tester
509 posts

Its called encouraging people not to be cowards and to actually play the objectives by giving them rewards for capping. The main objectives of all battles are to cap points and anything that encourages people to fight over them is good for the game.

Sick of seeing games full of people who just flee to one far corner of the map taking pot shots at each other or half a team chasing one coward who runs the whole match.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Who cares then? It's good for you. Do you want WG to fix it and reduce the number of exp and creds received even if you go full derp-mode? No...

Heard of the saying dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

Complaining about too much xp...wtf?

Because despite being a slightly worse than average player I like being rewarded well when I do well... and not when I fail hard.

Plus I still don't care about grinding up the tiers, I'll get to tier X sooner or later, it's not like the Sun is going to go super nova anytime soon...

With that being said. How would you distribute this xp reward?

Yeah, that's the issue I'm seeing with making too many rules for the rewards.

Taking your example, let's say WG gives someone who single-handedly caps the enemy base a metric ton of exp.

That's not exploitable at all, am I right? :rolleyes:

On the other hand a tweak to avoid situations as the one I posted above should still be considered.

After all rewards are still a part of the game and thus should be fair to everyone.

Edited by Retia

Super Tester
509 posts

They are fair to everyone except CV players who never cap points. Every other ship can capture bases and win the match for their team. More captures means less draws and less drawn out lame boring games.

Anything that encourages your team mates to cap is awesome!

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

noticed this one too on my DDs while exp rewards for cruisers specially AP shots are low.

DDs seem to have great rewards from ship kills more than damage. I once did 20k damage and killed 3 dds in fubuki and i got 2.5k exp without any base cap or def, the same exp reward for doing almost 100k damage but no ship kills.

Super Tester
509 posts

There we go just had a perfect example where I wish moron DD players would cap. Team with 4 dds and they were off miles from the bases just slinging torpedus around even when the enemy had all caps.

The game needs a huge sign that pops up saying QUICK MR DD GO CAP I GIVE YOU BIG XP!!!

Sad thing was this was a TX battle too so those guys should know better.

Beta Tester
506 posts
1,386 battles

There we go just had a perfect example where I wish moron DD players would cap. Team with 4 dds and they were off miles from the bases just slinging torpedus around even when the enemy had all caps.

The game needs a huge sign that pops up saying QUICK MR DD GO CAP I GIVE YOU BIG XP!!!

Sad thing was this was a TX battle too so those guys should know better.

I'm pretty sure they didn't read the patch notes.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

I don't think you should concern about this, Retia. WG calculate the amount of Exp and Creds based on the percentage of HP you dealt to the enemy. Sinking a full health Mutsuki is just like sinking a full health Cleveland. There might be a little bit bonus when it comes to sinking capital ships.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

They are fair to everyone except CV players who never cap points. Every other ship can capture bases and win the match for their team. More captures means less draws and less drawn out lame boring games.

Anything that encourages your team mates to cap is awesome!

Yeah, except when I capture a base together with 3 others and still come out on top, and fyi the other two points were captured by us, too...

As for encouraging capping... I dunno about that, people that wouldn't care about capping still don't care about it.

As for draws, draws are just losses, as soon as you realise this the easier it is to not care about them.

noticed this one too on my DDs while exp rewards for cruisers specially AP shots are low.

DDs seem to have great rewards from ship kills more than damage. I once did 20k damage and killed 3 dds in fubuki and i got 2.5k exp without any base cap or def, the same exp reward for doing almost 100k damage but no ship kills.

I don't think you should concern about this, Retia. WG calculate the amount of Exp and Creds based on the percentage of HP you dealt to the enemy. Sinking a full health Mutsuki is just like sinking a full health Cleveland. There might be a little bit bonus when it comes to sinking capital ships.

I thought there was a certain reduction for it though?

From my point of view that game should've given me 800 to 900 exp tops.

Anything else is basically an insult to those that didn't die 4 minutes into the game due to "Hurr Durr, I'll totally forget that the middle could be compromised.".

Heck, if that's what you get for helping with cap and killing a full health DD then why not exploit the potatah out of it?

Nvm that it might hurt one's winrate, but for grinding quick exp? 700 base on a loss? ggwp?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i don't get it. i sunk tier 4 dd with my ognevoy torpedo before i was sunk by a kuma (because i lost both of my guns and i only got torpedo) but i only got 539 exp out of it. i don't get it anymore.

g0wO29b.jpg

Super Tester
509 posts

If someone is too stupid or lazy to prioritise capping then its great they get less xp. :great: Too many selfish solo warriors in this game already just trying to max damage and ignoring teamplay and map objectives.

What they also need to do is boost xp and credits for shooting down planes to encourage CV players to bother proving air cover to other team members. Adding a spotting mechanic would be great too.

If they can encourage good team play by rewarding it I say go for it.

Edited by Vyviel

406 posts
6,287 battles

You capped a flag and took out an Enemy Destroyer.

As a BB captain, you did exactly what I need you to do - stop the DDs from torping me and cap the flags so I can then defend them with my Big guns.

So whilst you may not think you did enough to deserve  it, I would say you did.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Earlier today I had a fairly meh battle on Fault Line in my Mutsuki.

The battle started fairly well, with me getting some good shots off on a Kuma without taking damage despite

him and a Cleveland shooting at me over on the eastern side.

Since both the Kuma and Cleveland had more support coming up I decided to sail through the passage between the two islands

and into to middle. (There was an out of position BB in torpedo range near the middle)

Well, as luck is a cake, and I'm the eternal slave to "Oh, I should've expected that." situations, I ran into

the enemy's Mutsuki inside the passage and without any other option than to launch torpedoes, turn and pray, we both sunk each other.

So there I was, ~3k damage on the Kuma and a full hp Mutsuki kill.

Pretty bad... is what you'd think, but then the reward screen popped up.

1258 base exp? For doing bugger all?

For getting myself caught in a win-win situation?

I can't see how getting that much base exp for failing hard can be considered normal.

Mind you, I also helped capturing the point, but 1258 exp? ... Kind of too much in my opinion.

You could argue that I took out a ship, damaged another and played the objective, too.

Hence explaining why I'm 2nd in my team with a pretty good amount of exp.

However it's not like I was the only one capping the base... and additionally, look over to the other team.

Yeap, that's the Mutsuki I double-suicided with, and he's also second best (exp-wise) in his team...

Now I don't know what he did prior to our mexican stand off, but from where he was in relation to our ships in the middle,

I'd say he didn't do much better than me.

I dunno, feels like the rewards require some adjustments, though I'm not sure how you would do it without causing

issues due to reverse situations.

I.e. doing really well, but then gaining less rewards than expected.

Plus the more complex rules are the more likely it is that issues arise or the rules get exploited...

Game development in a nutshell I gues... double-edged swords everywhere. :x

Yeah, same thing happened to me last night in my Hatsu. I got no torp hits, killed a CA on very low HP and damaged a DD. I did do a solo cap, partial cap and defended one with two shots. I ended up getting about 2.5k XP (1.5x) for really doing a lot of nothing.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

is must be something that give xp to you without showing in the stat .... but sink 1 full hp ship got lots of xp thou....
WG should show us more clearly how xp are gained in battle ... like they show us the ribbon in the game for hit and cap .. maybe something adding below the ribbon like -set ship on fire ribbon and then "+ 20xp" follow that ribbon 

I think show us like this will encourage ppls to tae more action in the game instead of sitting back ....

Beta Tester
53 posts
1,067 battles

Fired up a game in my Atlanta today for fun and to keep working on training my american cruiser captain.  Had seen the new missions and Pax stuff, didnt think I would come near it.  1.6mil creds and over 7k exp later from 1 game....I wish I had of run it in something that actually can use the EXP.  I managed to by pure chance do 2 of the current events, 1 gave 1mil creds bonus (i had a good match too and was already up 600k) and the other gave an XP bonus.  The creds were nice, but I really could have done with that 7k exp on my PepsiCola.

All i really did was sail around shooting down planes and spamming HE at everything that came within 13klms of me. Just a normal Atlanta game.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

i've got a perfect example here of how DDs get easy exp while CVs got nerfed so hard in exp gain this patch. (nothing's changed in credit gain)

gBch2m5.jpg

PI7u6R0.jpg

I did 200K+ damage even in CV standards this was a good game and before patch i would be getting no less than 2k exp but alas.

While that khabarovsk all did was last hit 2 dying DDs and cap 1 base and probably some 30% hp of the montana but got 1.4k exp in a defeated game.

Edited by Deicide

Sign in to follow this