Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
antares031

Which ship is the origin of german cruiser Roon?

17 comments in this topic

17 posts
1,580 battles

KE8Wx0F.jpg

I bet this topic is debatable, but I want know the true source of this made-up german cruiser, Tier IX Roon.

Apparently, the russian community suggests that this ships is based on the P-class panzerschiffe(http://goo.gl/1IT7hT), while there are only few references of P-class to this ship. First of all, as I mentioned, P-Class was a "panzerschiffe" which are armed with at least 11" as main armament. Plus, the overall design of Roon is similar to light cruiser Nurnberg rather than P-class. The layout of main armaments(one turret at bow, two turrets at stern), shape of superstructure and funnel is pretty much identical to Nurnberg. And the developers put some reference of other WW2 ships, including P-class, to this fictional ship. They took the 8" as main armaments from Admiral Hipper and upgraded them from twin to triple, took the side secondary armaments from Deutschland, and took the idea from P-class that placing twin 5.9" turret right behind the front main armament. Overall, this ship is a heavy cruiser version of Nurnberg with adding references from various german cruisers.

Currently, there's no clear explanation about it in the game client. If the developers made a fictional ship based on the projected ship, I suggest to put some explanations about it in the game. What's your opinion about this one? Is Roon based on P-class panzerschiffe, or other ship? If there's a official statement from Wargaming about this topic, it will be appreciated.

P.S.: Tier X is obviously based on Admiral Hipper class. There's no doubt about it.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

KE8Wx0F.jpg

I bet this topic is debatable, but I want know the true source of this made-up german cruiser, Tier IX Roon.

Apparently, the russian community suggests that this ships is based on the P-class panzerschiffe(http://goo.gl/1IT7hT), while there are only few references of P-class to this ship. First of all, as I mentioned, P-Class was a "panzerschiffe" which are armed with at least 11" as main armament. Plus, the overall design of Roon is similar to light cruiser Nurnberg rather than P-class. The layout of main armaments(one turret at bow, two turrets at stern), shape of superstructure and funnel is pretty much identical to Nurnberg. And the developers put some reference of other WW2 ships, including P-class, to this fictional ship. They took the 8" as main armaments from Admiral Hipper and upgraded them from twin to triple, took the side secondary armaments from Deutschland, and took the idea from P-class that placing twin 5.9" turret right behind the front main armament. Overall, this ship is a heavy cruiser version of Nurnberg with adding references from various german cruisers.

Currently, there's no clear explanation about it in the game client. If the developers made a fictional ship based on the projected ship, I suggest to put some explanations about it in the game. What's your opinion about this one? Is Roon based on P-class panzerschiffe, or other ship? If there's a official statement from Wargaming about this topic, it will be appreciated.

P.S.: Tier X is obviously based on Admiral Hipper class. There's no doubt about it.

Fiction ship heh, love how devs decided to put 1 secondary in the front lmao.

But German triple guns are beast.

Hipper is stupid with the Twin guns :(

Edited by R3negade

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Fiction ship heh, love how devs decided to put 1 secondary in the front lmao.

But German triple guns are beast.

Hipper is stupid with the Twin guns :(

Sorry for the Hipper being stupid with her dual mount turrets then.

As for Roon, the layout of the hull is really similar to the P but the A-XY layout lugging about may be something of note since P was made to carry 11 inch guns so it won't be a big surprise if the hull was projected with the same layout. Remember that Scharnhorst's hull could be theoretically be lugged with 15 inch guns with a little bit of retrofitting for that matter. Its likely two things for this heavy cruiser: its an original concept like the patented E-50M or there were actually design studies within the paper ships and for the latter however, remember that even Montana had a LOT of design feasibility studies, one of which was the BB-65-2 which is being touted as the pinnacle of the 'fast battleship' thought since Montana was... well... not a really fast ship.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

Prinz Eugen? Stupid?

Well the ship itself isn't really stupid and quite nice, just personally dislike(get bored) with twin guns :v

The problem is the German HE shell and you get match up against Mogamis :<

and weak amour makes you vulnerable from HE hits.

Edited by R3negade

423 posts
3,175 battles

I think this is the origin of Roon

Q8DEPwi.jpg

with the men on it are armed with RPG, and sinking USS Cole :trollface:

17 posts
1,580 battles

As for Roon, the layout of the hull is really similar to the P but the A-XY layout lugging about may be something of note since P was made to carry 11 inch guns so it won't be a big surprise if the hull was projected with the same layout.

I thought the layout of Roon is sized-up version of Nurnberg considering that it has similar main armament placement; in the end, main armament is the identity of the ship IMHO. I agree that some parts of hull are may based on the one from P-class, but I'm not sure about it. Plus, keep in mind that P-class had two funnels that are separated with some spaces between them. It will make a different layout of engine room compare to the Roon which has similar funnel layout of Nurnberg or Admiral Hipper class.

Q8DEPwi.jpg

......Mother of god?! :ohmy:

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I thought the layout of Roon is sized-up version of Nurnberg considering that it has similar main armament placement; in the end, main armament is the identity of the ship IMHO. I agree that some parts of hull are may based on the one from P-class, but I'm not sure about it. Plus, keep in mind that P-class had two funnels that are separated with some spaces between them. It will make a different layout of engine room compare to the Roon which has similar funnel layout of Nurnberg or Admiral Hipper class.

The funnels were merged into a single large funnel however just like the ships Fuso and Nagato when they were retrofitted. The boilers or the turbines likely moved a bit for the new placement but the hull doesn't look like it was changed and besides, Nurnberg wasn't the first A-XY layout for a ship they did since I think Koenigsberg did it first within their cruisers.

Edited by EvyL

Beta Tester
1,422 posts
38 battles

Q8DEPwi.jpg

they see me rowing they hating

shooting 18 inch shell at me

alothough tier X: Graf Spee would be nice~~~

Sign in to follow this