Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

US carriers are getting nerfed next update

18 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hey everyone. My apology if I am repeating something from another post but US Carriers are getting nerfed next patch. It get even more servere as you move up the tech tree. The US torpedoes bombers manual drop have been moved back further (More time to arm torpedoes). And this mean that the drop zone for US torpedoes bombers will increase. RIP 6 hits per drop. So yes, it is a severe need as it get worst the further you move up the tech tree. Please visit Tank_Stryker WOWS on YouTube to see this for your self. However due to this nerf even the Essex and Midway will not be able to deal as much damage as the Taiho and Hakuryu because they are able to hit all 12 of their torpedoes. Not only that US carriers detecability range is worst than the IJN ones. In addition to that US carriers bombers reloading time is twice as long as their IJN counterparts. So, as I predicted the game will return to the state like before 0.3.1 patch. IJN CVs captains will be spoiled again. Then can do everything better than a US CV. I have no idea what are you doing War Gaming. All you want to do is spoil the IJN players

Edited by silenthunter19944

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

sigh

Here we go again.

Silent, you're basically making all of these observations without any real experience in tier VII-X battles whatsoever, and no experience handling IJN carriers because you categorically refuse to play them. Currently, Essex (and ESPECIALLY) Midway are pretty much dominating higher tiers because their torpedo squadrons are excellent - resilient to damage, "UFO turning" and tighter torpedo spreads. Hell, most players on the other servers and the subreddit are calling for Essex and Midway to be rebalanced/nerfed. The dropzone increase is meant to try to rebalance that a bit, but the general tighter spread of the USN torpedoes coupled with more flooding damage at the upper tiers still means USN carriers can land more torpedo hits on evading ships, and have more chances to inflict flooding as compared to IJN ones. 

Do me a favour. Get a Houshou, and see how you do in it compared to Langley, with its wider torpedo spreads dropped four at a time.

Edited by Syanda

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

sigh

Here we go again.

Silent, you're basically making all of these observations without any real experience in tier VII-X battles whatsoever. Currently, Essex (and ESPECIALLY) Midway are pretty much dominating higher tiers because their torpedo squadrons are excellent - resilient to damage, "UFO turning" and tighter torpedo spreads. Hell, most players on the other servers and the subreddit are calling for Essex and Midway to be rebalanced/nerfed. The dropzone increase is meant to try to rebalance that a bit, but the general tighter spread of the USN torpedoes coupled with more flooding damage at the upper tiers still means USN carriers can land more torpedo hits on evading ships, and have more chances to inflict flooding as compared to IJN ones. 

Even I that is the case I have seen IJN players hitting 4/4 torps on ships with llike the New York with the new spread despot the New York being a small ship. Now imagine a Hakuryu taking Midway's role of oneshotting everything accross the map because all 12 of their torps will hit the target. And they reload even faster than US CVs and their detec range is better than US CVs which mean that they will be even better than the Essex and Midway. They might have the convergence drop soon which will make them even more OP

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

actually at some point back in CBT I think this was implemented, then it was reverted back. I actually didn't hate it. I don't think of it as a nerf as you can still do the same damage if you got the skill, just more challenging. Also, IJNs just got their torpedo speed nerfed, so it's equal for them in my opinion.

P.S. the only way for an IJN squad to hit all 4 torps on a short ship like the new york is if the new york is traveling max speed and not maneuvering. ijn torp squad must angle it very acutely and if that new york is not slightly bit retarded a little turn would mean no torpedo hit.

Edited by Deicide

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

If a person in a NY gets hit by all torps from an IJN squadron it's because they're stock with awful rudder shift, extremely unlucky (i.e. did everything possible but circumstances meant they simply couldn't dodge that final group) OR, most likely, they're an idiot who ignored that approaching squadron until waaaay too late. As it happens I'm playing through NY at present (very slowly as more than a game or two just reminds me of all the dumb s*** in it and I tend to quit, lol), so I'm in a position to comment on that based on current experience.

The number of times I see low tier BBs sailing along merrily with seemingly no idea they're about to be torped from the air is astounding.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to think CVs are an awful mechanic and that WG will never balance them effectively, but that doesn't excuse people playing like idiots and then blaming the CVs.

And anyone who's read anything anywhere is well aware of the tier 9-10 USN CVs ruling everything.

I really don't see the point of all these drama queen, "OMG the sky is falling" posts every time WG says they're changing things.

I'm no fan of WG generally, but many of the changes they've made to balance things have seemed pretty sensible and justified to date, and any time they nerf a CV it'll be fine with me.

Edited by Steeltrap

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

In my experience, the only time I've seen a USN battleship hit by 4/4 torpedoes from a IJN squadron is if they've either completely failed to react to incoming torpedo bombers, or have rudderlocked themselves (either out of inexperience/panic, or stupidity, and the IJN captain is good enough to exploit it). The drop spread is so wide that a turning battleship can easily evade half the torpedoes, and take maybe one, at most two on the bulge.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

Through my experience in the game. I agree with Syanda-sama. IJN carriers have much wider torpedo spread and much easier to dodge if you have enough skill. One more thing, US fighters are some what superior to their Japanese counterparts. 2 squadrons of Banshees from a Midway can easily dominate the sky if the opponent is a Hakuryu. Japanese fighters don't have a chance against US fighters and their bombers are just too slow to run away from Banshees.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Through my experience in the game. I agree with Syanda-sama. IJN carriers have much wider torpedo spread and much easier to dodge if you have enough skill. One more thing, US fighters are some what superior to their Japanese counterparts. 2 squadrons of Banshees from a Midway can easily dominate the sky if the opponent is a Hakuryu. Japanese fighters don't have a chance against US fighters and their bombers are just too slow to run away from Banshees.

no torpedo bombers can run from either kind of fighters at tier 10, it's all about reaching the target before the fighters reach them. after dropping torps, the bombers become very fast and can easily outrun even the banshees.

99.99% of non-stock midways use 1/2/2 so 2 banshee squadron is a rarity. 1 banshee squadron can't do shit against 2 j8s squads. 1 j8 squad can become cannon fodder for a banshee squad and make it use all of its ammo, then banshees go back to base for 50second+ rearm. meanwhile 3 IJN torp and dive squads have dropped their torps and bombs succesfully and the remaining j8 squad annihilated 1 of the midway's torpedo squad effectively reducing around 40% of the midway's damage capability.

where in this is midway easily dominating the hakuryu? i'm not even using 4/2/2

Edited by Deicide

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

Oh thank god. Tier 9 and 10 games are dominated by Essex and Midway. With all these CV nerfs, I can start feeling like something other than a floating bag of XP for CVs.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Meh, don't know what your complaining about (USN fighter still win mate), USN DB's get buffed for dispersion for AA defensive fire  and with manual aiming they are pretty good. Besides spamming forums over and over again isn't helping..

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

I'm only at Shokaku therefore I don't feel qualified or legitimate to comment about anything higher.

To say USN CV a push over? Possibly up till Ranger. Unless they bring the fighter CAG. Lady Lex herself is no push over and she can really make you run for your money. 

19 posts
1,783 battles

If a New York got hit with all 8 torps from the 2 squads of a IJN CV, then we can conclude that its not the IJN CV that is broken, rather, its the New York captain who is broken. Seriously, the torp spread is twice as wide as a New York. The highest number of torp trikes personally was 6 on a Kongo (read: very long ship with speed to sail into the next torps in the spread) going exactly the way I wanted him to go.

Edited by superIcecream

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Honeslty, im glad to see some balancing of the higher tier US CVs. I could also fall under the same boat (pun intended) as _Storm has said, broken record. Now just to state it at the beginning, im not known for wording my thoughts perfectly, so just bear that in mind.

Ive long since debated about going up the IJN CV line myself, thanks to how they both play out. Midway being able to land 10-12 torpedo hits, each dealing 9500 damage, and more chances of flooding, while the Hakuryu can only land around 6 torpedoes on the same target in the same instance, for 8500 damage, and less chances of casuing flooding thanks to the wide spread. Yet i always got it thrown back in my face saying "rearm time".

Midway = 96k-144k potential damage, 10/12 chances of flooding.

Hakuryu = 42.5k -59.5k damage, 5-7 chances of flooding.

Why people have been throwing it back in my face still goes over my head. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the Midway has much more potential to dominate by raw stats than the Hakuryu does. I will admit, No, i havent gotten either of them yet, and havent touched CVs at all in the past two or three months thanks to wanting to grind out BBs and DDs again instead, so i dont know if the IJN spread has been narrowed again or what (which i think is what needs to happen to make them balanced), but while the player is a major factor, the Midway will always out perform the Hakuryu just due to the potential each has. Dive bombers are also better on US CVs, dealing more damage and have 2 extra bombs to drop, and US fighters are better in every aspect but DPS, which doesnt help much when the US fighters survive longer and have more ammo.

In terms of torping a New York, ive at best landed 5 torpedos on one with Zuiho and Ryujo. The ship is that short that if dropped perfectly 'T'd on its side, the two on the ends will miss it. At higher tiers, ive watched IJN torpedoes be dropped on Iowas, Montanas, Izumos, Yamatos, and every time at least 1 out of the spread has always missed. On a realism stand point that makes sense, gives a wider chance of hitting the target with at least one, but in game, having a smaller number of possible hits, while also having less damage potential, and are more easily shot down then US torpedo bombers, it makes them redundant when you could play the US CVs.

Edited by Cyanide7662

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Midway = 96k-144k potential damage, 10/12 chances of flooding.

Hakuryu = 42.5k -59.5k damage, 5-7 chances of flooding.

those are some imaginary numbers right there.

first what is that hakuryu using as layout, 233? 422? second you assume midway hits all 12 torps but only assume the haku hits 2 hits per squad? idk if you have experience, but if you can hit all your 6 torps in USN CVs, you can easily do 3 torps/IJN squad.

233 hakuryu has damage output(torpedo squad alone) of 51k~ damage assuming it hits 3 per squad while the midway is ~118k (where the f#k did you get 144k?). from this it's obvious midway wins but let's add other factors. midway torpedo needs 41 seconds to rearm, while hakuryu is 26s(anyone who says this doesn't matter is an idiot, have no real/enough experience in CVs). when this factor is added, midway is still a little bit ahead of hakuryu but not far, but when you add in the fighters hakuryu finally emerge as the superior CV. only players who played at low/mid tiers and never reached tier 9 and 10 will say IJN figthers will always lose to USN's.

422 hakuryu will wipe any midway loadout any time of the day and i won't be even including it.

after all, it's easy to look at numbers, and papers, and stats because everything goes like clockwork and this is a perfect world. but it takes a lot real experience to see what really happens. just like you said:

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the Midway has much more potential to dominate by raw stats than the Hakuryu does. I will admit, No, i havent gotten either of them yet,

so how the hell can you speak for either of the ships?

Edited by Deicide

Sign in to follow this