Sign in to follow this  
eternalnoob

Most noob-friendly ship class?

27 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

IMO yes.

I would also add that USN CLs/CAs are more forgiving than their IJN and DE counterparts, especially at the lower tiers.

Edited by Chawp

724 posts
2,179 battles

I started off with the cruiser line as well,especially the IJN cruisers.

Since they have decent speed and maneuverability,and most importantly,torpedis,I think its actually quite good for beginners.

But in the end,that is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.

520 posts
11,127 battles

IMHO... Mid Tier, American Cruisers are rather Forgiving.  The Tier V Omaha and Tier 6 Cleveland are very multipurpose and easy to in my experience.    So Friendly to noobs like me, that my "Easy Going" Ship is a Russian Omaha. "Murmansk" :)

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

DDs = learn when and where to drop torps, to be sneaky and use terrain, to stay out of detection range.

BBs = learn how to lead and get each salvo perfectly aimed, when to turn, how to maneouvre to dodge, to think ahead and notice failing flanks etc.

CVs = click and forget, but doing so while dodging enemy fighters, learn which targets to go for and avoid concentrated AA fire,  and then learn to manual aim,

Cruisers = point and shoot. thats it, and point and shoot.

Very noob friendly. Thats all you have to do to do well, pick a target, and shoot at it, and mash your Q/A and E/D keys. You dont even have to switch ammo types (though that does help sometimes). Anyone can pick up a cruiser and do somewhat decent in it, you dont have to learn anything, you dont have to think ahead, you just have to shoot at things. Of course, US cruisers are more noob friendly, since IJN have torpedoes to think about, are floating citadels and guns reload twice as slow. I like to think of the US cruiser line as WoWS version of the WoT IS7 line. 

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Especially Cheatland, "death-to-the-skyz"

Every CV players wet dream

I think a Cleveland is the opposite of a CV's wet dream... :hiding:

423 posts
3,175 battles

The Saint Louis is the most noob friendly ship in the game I can think of. To some might say, hey, it's the Cleveland that are more friendly than other, I'd disagree. Please note that in the same range of engagement, the Cleveland clearly got a huge advantage over the St. Louis - however, placement wise, the St. Louis got better armor, better engagement and of course, better arch (due to low range). Unfortunately for Cleveland, the range, the arch and the turret is very annoying. Even worse, most engagement the Cleveland can run into are better ships with better alpha damage, unlike the St, Louis...

And with the Cleveland, due to prescence of turrets...you cannot do the American Katyusha...

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

IMO yes... CA/CL generally tend to be more forgiving than most other classes.

Word of caution, best you get on IJN CA/CL before you get on IJN DD. If you get on the latter first, you'd pay dearly since you'll treat IJN CA/CL as nothing more than torpedo attack ships in which they are not.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

Cruisers are a great place to start to learn.

The US line is better for learning guns and firing/aiming.

IJN have some good designs but take more tact to use in game.

222 posts
3,269 battles

OH please, clevelands can citadel myokos. I went against one in a close quarter gun duel and none of my shots were lethal. I aimed at his citadels and they were goddamn perpendicular to my guns. Higher tiers make cruiser gameplay a lot harder for japanese cruisers

423 posts
3,175 battles

^ of course it can, but can it do reliably and without the risk of eating citadel back from BB, torp from DD and worse, citade back from the Myoko itself. Not to mention the very low alpha of the 155mm (3000 max) compare to the damage potential of the Aoba...

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Clevelands can and will citadel Myoukous, but only at closer ranges where they're basically firing flat into the Myoukou's sides. This generally only happens if that Myoukou is galactically stupid (which is a pretty distinct possibility). On the flipside, Myoukou's heavier guns (10x 20.3s) will do incredible damage to Clevelands in open gunfights at a distance, and are capable of deploying torpedoes at closer ranges if a Cleveland is tunnelvisioned. Basically, Myoukou holds the advantage over Cleveland in a straight-up fight, but the Cleveland stands a chance of turning the tables if it can get a good firing angle at <10km range.

Otherwise, jchen is exactly right in saying that the St Louis is the most newbie-friendly ship out there. Decent maneuverability, very high health pool, significant armour with a good layout. Incredible number of guns means you can easily practice leading targets and broadside firing, and the fact that they're casemate mounted means you don't really have to worry about turrets. All in all, its an excellent ship to pick up basic gunnery skills in PvP and very forgiving to play.

Phoenix and Omaha are a lot less forgiving, and teach advanced cruiser skills - namely, never showing the broadside. But to make up for that weakness, they're both fast and well-armed ships with the same casemate gun layout, although Omaha does have turrets to worry about.

Cleveland is a powerful ship in the right hands, but at her tier, she sees a lot more experienced opponents, so newer players may struggle with her.

Edited by Syanda

222 posts
3,269 battles

I'm very sorry mr moderator, but i happen to be that guy with galactic level of stupidity. You see, i thought i was able to win such engagements due to the myoko possessing 8 inch guns.  However, I did not know the true location of its citadel at the time okay. I will not do that stupidity again. 

295 posts
501 battles

Clevelands can and will citadel Myoukous, but only at closer ranges where they're basically firing flat into the Myoukou's sides. This generally only happens if that Myoukou is galactically stupid (which is a pretty distinct possibility). On the flipside, Myoukou's heavier guns (10x 20.3s) will do incredible damage to Clevelands in open gunfights at a distance, and are capable of deploying torpedoes at closer ranges if a Cleveland is tunnelvisioned. Basically, Myoukou holds the advantage over Cleveland in a straight-up fight, but the Cleveland stands a chance of turning the tables if it can get a good firing angle at <10km range.

Otherwise, jchen is exactly right in saying that the St Louis is the most newbie-friendly ship out there. Decent maneuverability, very high health pool, significant armour with a good layout. Incredible number of guns means you can easily practice leading targets and broadside firing, and the fact that they're casemate mounted means you don't really have to worry about turrets. All in all, its an excellent ship to pick up basic gunnery skills in PvP and very forgiving to play.

Phoenix and Omaha are a lot less forgiving, and teach advanced cruiser skills - namely, never showing the broadside. But to make up for that weakness, they're both fast and well-armed ships with the same casemate gun layout, although Omaha does have turrets to worry about.

Cleveland is a powerful ship in the right hands, but at her tier, she sees a lot more experienced opponents, so newer players may struggle with her.

I remember I was in a turn fight (head on battle) with myokou, and I citadel her 5 times in two salvo with AP under 5 km range and kill her (full health of course) 

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,880 battles

Gotta be St Louis and perhaps the kolberg too but I definitely suggest St Louis...I tried IJN CL but was never good until I get to St Louis...its many guns, fast reload, good fire chance and good HP is really forgiving...when you turn the many guns on each side will make you land hits and most of all, gives you higher chance to survive the battle...and build up your confidence...I still keep mine and try to get the capt to higher level...with Level 4. the guns from 10.2 km will reach 12.1km range and that gives you somewhat equal footing when you are thrown into tier 5 battles...and St Louis in Tier 2 and 3 will be seal clubbing fest.

420 posts
20 battles

Umikaze. Just do 2 things.

1. Don't get spotted, stay 6km away from enemy ships.

2. Launch torpedoes every 22s, even if you don't see anything. You don't need to trust the white indicator, use your 6th sense or just doing random. Rinse and repeat. Just be careful with your friends.

Most hits i got when i use this ship, happens magically.

892 posts
7,853 battles

I would have to go with a fully decked out Tier 4 Phoenix. Decent speed, decent rudder shift, good turret rotation and gun range, decent ROF and it has torps! Its my best money maker after my Minekaze

Sign in to follow this