You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yansuki

imperator nikolai I impervious to low caliber HE shell?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

so i met this imperator nikolai on my first match with my tier 4 russian dd Izyaslav. i'm trying to harass it with my HE since its too dangerous to close it to do a torpedo run because of a cruiser is supporting it, i notice most of my shell are not doing any damage at all, i try to change places to shot but most i can only do up to 200+ damage but no more than 300 damage inf few parts of the ship. i only manage to sink it with pure fire damage because i got luck enough to set it on fire multiple time and with the help of my battleship team mates.  is there something special with this ship why its almost impervious to low caliber HE shell compare to other dreadnought class battleship?

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Well all i can say since only had 1 game in it it has stalinium on it so its so stronk . Did u try use Ap

If using a HE is not even doing any damage and using AP shells with a DD to go against a BB O.o well good luck to ya.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

If using a HE is not even doing any damage and using AP shells with a DD to go against a BB O.o well good luck to ya.

^this. there's no point to use AP against BB. i don't even use them against ca. maybe they can be used against german cruiser but against other target HE is still way better.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

^this. there's no point to use AP against BB. i don't even use them against ca. maybe they can be used against german cruiser but against other target HE is still way better.

Switch to AP and aim at the turrets for module damage - or just leave that battle alone until the CA/CL is removed for you and come back to it?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

When firing HE at BBs, one should always aim for the superstructure as that's where HE shells can damage it. Lobbing low caliber HE shells at the belt will always result in zero damage.

Unfortunately, the Imperator has almost no superstructure you can hit. So where else can your HE shell penetrate? Well, the deck is only 35 mm, but your 102 mm HE is has really poor penetration it probably can't even penetrate that. The thinnest armor on that battleship is the forecastle and stern, so you could try shooting those. If not, just AP them (definitely has enough pen for those bits unless at max range). Other than that, torps is your only chance.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

If you read my sentence again you could know what i mean.:great:

295 posts
501 battles

HE do no damage when facing NBA (lol, wut autocorrect, BBs!) with good armour. Tats why US mid tier BBs are quite OP against cruiser because HE can't effective damage them (heavy armoured superstructure and midsection)

Everytime I rain HE with Cleveland shells do mk damage. And that's the same reason for you. And that's totally logical

Edited by yanyatcheng

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

HE do no damage when facing NBA (lol, wut autocorrect, BBs!) with good armour. Tats why US mid tier BBs are quite OP against cruiser because HE can't effective damage them (heavy armoured superstructure and midsection)

Everytime I rain HE with Cleveland shells do mk damage. And that's the same reason for you. And that's totally logical

Refer to this below...

When firing HE at BBs, one should always aim for the superstructure as that's where HE shells can damage it. Lobbing low caliber HE shells at the belt will always result in zero damage.

Unfortunately, the Imperator has almost no superstructure you can hit. So where else can your HE shell penetrate? Well, the deck is only 35 mm, but your 102 mm HE is has really poor penetration it probably can't even penetrate that. The thinnest armor on that battleship is the forecastle and stern, so you could try shooting those. If not, just AP them (definitely has enough pen for those bits unless at max range). Other than that, torps is your only chance.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Switch to AP and aim at the turrets for module damage - or just leave that battle alone until the CA/CL is removed for you and come back to it?

i will try AP next time i see that ship.  that time i was nothing better to do because the imperator is the only target while his support ships is behind an islands. i'm trying to support my too bb which in the end was taken out by the imperator.

i have no problem with USN BB. they take lots of damage from HE shot by cruiser or even DD. (reason i have to halt my advance on USN BB tech three). its just like what amade said, this ship has almost no superstructure to be hit by HE shell.  with only few deck spaces to land HE. 
Edited by yansuki

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

I met one while using Clemson. Managed to score about 600~800 damage per salvo. Maybe i kept my distance with him far enough (9~10 km) i could hit him with plunging fire, hitting him on his wooden deck.

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I met one while using a Clemson. Managed to score about 600~800 damage per salvo. Maybe i kept my distance with him far enough (9~10 km) i could hit him with plunging fire, hitting him on his wooden deck.

yeah, maybe i was too close when i was attacking her. during that time i was hesitating whether i will do a torpedo run or just stay at safe distance and just do harassment fire.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,175 battles

yeah, maybe i was too close when i was attacking her. during that time i was hesitating whether i will do a torpedo run or just stay at safe distance and just do harassment fire.

Yeah, because after getting close to him (around 6~7 km) my fire became less effective.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

i will try AP next time i see that ship.  that time i was nothing better to do because the imperator is the only target while his support ships is behind an islands. i'm trying to support my too bb which in the end was taken out by the imperator.

i have no problem with USN BB. they take lots of damage from HE shot by cruiser or even DD. (reason i have to halt my advance on USN BB tech three). its just like what amade said, this ship has almost no superstructure to be hit by HE shell.  with only few deck spaces to land HE. 

maybe because USN DD shells flies higher and do damages on the deck ?

and.... early SN DD shell sucks :izmena:

Edited by R3negade

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

DD Captains are so fixated on "I must do damage". There is good reason your invisible until 5kms or so in range, you should focus on just scouting a bb, and harassing it with torps if you have them.

Then your team with bigger guns will help you.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

DD Captains are so fixated on "I must do damage". There is good reason your invisible until 5kms or so in range, you should focus on just scouting a bb, and harassing it with torps if you have them.

i do it if there are only bb around but that battle group has 1 cruiser and 3 bb. its not advisable to do 3km torpedo run. if its USN maybe its do-able but that 3km is too short. 

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

The I must do damage concept cause by the score award system

BB player sit at back doing nothing but snipe, gets MVP

DD plays hard to capture, to S&D, to kill CV, to kill spot, not even a good score at the end.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Maybe it's intended as a feature to attract purchases?

Would make a nice change from the USN BBs that take absurd amounts of damage from low calibre HE rounds...I think WG's damage model/collision integrity is pants for some ships.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Maybe it's intended as a feature to attract purchases?

Would make a nice change from the USN BBs that take absurd amounts of damage from low calibre HE rounds...I think WG's damage model/collision integrity is pants for some ships.

main reason why i halt playing USN bb. their steel just easily melt to HE fires.