Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

A Ranger captain requesting for help

15 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hey guys I just took a break from the game because I moved house. I will admit that I am a bit rusty now, especially at aircraft carrier. So in order to deal with that I will need you guys to reteach me of how to use the Ranger (1/1/1) loadout is awful. However I don't want to use the 2/0/2 loadout because I will move through the Ranger even slower. So yeah guys please lend me a hand and I will greatly appreciate it. Until then, best of luck sailing in the ocean :honoring:

1,810 posts
8,014 battles

Hey guys I just took a break from the game because I moved house. I will admit that I am a bit rusty now, especially at aircraft carrier. So in order to deal with that I will need you guys to reteach me of how to use the Ranger (1/1/1) loadout is awful. However I don't want to use the 2/0/2 loadout because I will move through the Ranger even slower. So yeah guys please lend me a hand and I will greatly appreciate it. Until then, best of luck sailing in the ocean :honoring:

1/1/1 still better to me than 2/0/2

So why not feeding them to your AA Guns?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

However I don't want to use the 2/0/2 loadout

Then I have no useful advice to give... uhh... play PvE?

Maybe pray to the gods that you're with another Ranger that uses the fighter loadout?

Otherwise... uh... avoid having your aircrats detected and kill the enemy CV in one go?

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Then I have no useful advice to give... uhh... play PvE?

Maybe pray to the gods that you're with another Ranger that uses the fighter loadout?

Otherwise... uh... avoid having your aircrats detected and kill the enemy CV in one go?

As I said I am really rusty. I am not sure if using the 2/0/2 loadout is a good idea because i don't exactly earn a lot of exp which will slow down time to unlock Lady Lex

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

My best recommendation is to use the 2/0/2.

1/1/1..... Well, I am not a fan of it, but I can still give you some advice.

As mentioned in a thread, 2 IJN Fighter Squadron vs 1 USN Squadron is the only scenario a USN Fighter Squad will lose (Without any modification).

How to pick apart and strike quickly becomes a crucial factor on whether you can handle the Hiryu.

These are ordinary suggestion, but they works, so......

- Try to use ally's AA gun to help out your chance on dealing with the fighter. Preferably a Cruiser. Remember, Hiryu can't have that much fighter to waste. You have. So make use of this.

- Try to bait IJN fighters away from your strike force (Do be aware that USN Fighter are slower than IJN one, so be careful).

- Commander skill and equipment. I cannot stress this enough!

2/0/2 is okay if you can make sure you dominate the Hiryu/whatever carrier you're facing.

Shooting down ~50 aircraft will give you roughly 1000-1200 Base, so it's do-able. 1/1/1 is a bit too risky for my liking.

Here's an example me back in the days using 2/0/2 to basically hold off a Taiho using 2/2/2 (Yes it's the stock loadout, but he's a Tier 9 and this is before the Fighter Damage rebalance as well as the IJN bomber's rebalance, so you can imagine how my face is like when I saw the MM)

The other Ranger is using full bomber loadout (0/1/2), so I am getting no help from him either. Basically all I did is delay the incoming fighters to find a cruiser, and basically force him to either fall back, or risk losing his precious fighters against a CV 2 tiers lower than it.

(Do take note the Base XP is with the XP and Credit boost back in CBT, so take that into account.)

hvZXpLR.jpg

TZKc5Wr.jpg

930 posts

That's what I normally do. It work great against another Ranger but not a Hiryu because my f4f will go down like flies

then let them go down.

if he tries to defeat your fighters, you'll have all the time to pick a target, bomb it, make coffee, leave the hot zone. 

and if he tries to intercept your bombers it's going to be the same except you're going to win the air battle quick and still have time intercept that remaining fighter.

besides, you have a lot of reserves anyway

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

As I said I am really rusty. I am not sure if using the 2/0/2 loadout is a good idea because i don't exactly earn a lot of exp which will slow down time to unlock Lady Lex

Luckily I don't care about advancing up the techtree.

Hence I can enjoy butchering aircrafts for all I want~ Now if you want to rush up the techtree then I guess

either perfecting early drops on the enemy CV or still going with the fighter loadout.

After all it comes with 2 DBs which can easily deal up to 5k dmg hits each with every attack run.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

For me, 1/1/1 or 0/1/3 is the way to go for ranger. 2/0/2 is a martyr loadout(onwards to midway) and will guarantee you'll have very low reward for the game.

For 1/1/1: it will depend what CV is pitted against you but let's assume it's another tier 7 CV so either hiryuu or ranger.
                if hiryuu, probably 2/2/2. some use 3/1/2 but rare. against a hiryuu, make sure your enemy's fighters have their attention to your single fighter squad by showing it off early in the game and harassing her torpedo squad. your fighter is strong enough to match 2 hiryuu squad. if you face a 3/1/2 squad it will be bit trickier. 1 ranger squad could no longer deal with 3 hiryuu squad so think of your fighters as sacrificial lures so your bombers are free to attack. of course that is if the hiryuu will bite your fighter lure. if you simply just can't damage ship enough and your enemy outwits and has better microcontrol than you then attack her torpedo squads(return the favor). 3/1/2 setup doesn't have much spare torpedo bombers so he'll run out of planes soon enough(and his striking capability). i can go on and on but I think this is enough for hiryuu and it's better for you to learn the other things on your own.

if you are against ranger 1/1/1 then it all depends on you to outwit your opponent. if against 2/0/2, it will be almost the same as 3/1/2 hiryuu but more painful. need a lot of deception, luring, micro control to be able to do your mission but basically again think of your figthers as pawns and lure enemy fighters away from your bombers(as far as possible) if he doesn't bite just force your way into attacking ships and make sure your bombers are detected at the last moment as possible so you can at least attack ships with 6 bombers intact even though they'll end up dying. though, remember 2/0/2 ranger can't do much harm to your teammates so it's painful for him too :teethhappy:. andd, you'll end up making more contribution to your team, so in some essence, you win the duel. whether your team lose or not.

For 0/1/3: actually this is not recommended specially if your up against 2 CV you'll be having hard time. strike loadouts in general focuses on killing your enemy CV ASAP. send 2 of your dive bombers to 2 side of the map then advance them toward your enemy and converge them at the end of the map(pincer, this is actually the basic use of dive bombers at high tiers). once they reach the end of the map, start looking for the enemy CV and at the same time advance your remaining dive bomber in the middle followed by your torpedos. with luck you'll see the enemy undefended CV and attack it with one dive bomber first and roast it. observe the enemy, if he doesn't repair attack using the 2nd dive bomber(if he does, he's in big trouble) and that would hopefully put him in 2 section fire at least and will likely repair. that's when the 2 remaining bombers coming from the middle comes in and finish him. timing is crucial and not everything works as planned. this is simply the idea(it works for me most of the time 1v1 back when i use ranger), you need to modify it to work for your current situation and will now depend on your skill.

so that's the basics i hope you found something helpful somewhere along this big wall of text.

hvZXpLR.jpg

TZKc5Wr.jpg

lol your screenshot was back in beta(back when taiho 3/2/2 was none existent and 2v1 CV matches are the norm). it's different now my friend :coin:

Edited by Deicide

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

k when taiho 3/2/2 was none existent and 2v1 CV matches are the norm). it's different now my friend :coin:

If it work even back then, surely it can't be worse facing "Only" a Hiryu.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

If it work even back then, surely it can't be worse facing "Only" a Hiryu.

except back then it was 2v1 scenario so comparing that PS and what happens now won't work.|

besides, nobody told about anything not working, just less rewarding.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

except back then it was 2v1 scenario so comparing that PS and what happens now won't work.|

besides, nobody told about anything not working, just less rewarding.

The other Ranger is using full bomber loadout (0/1/2), so I am getting no help from him either. Basically all I did is delay the incoming fighters to find a cruiser, and basically force him to either fall back, or risk losing his precious fighters against a CV 2 tiers lower than it.

*Shrugs*

22 posts
3,308 battles

well, good points, but personaly, nothing but bombers here.

stack your carrier with as many AA buffs as you can, skill up the comander for AA as well. then smile as japanese planes burn up like little bits of paper.

send your bombers after threats, DD is high on the list of threats. DD are the worst enemy of any CV IMO. enemy fighters can be an issue, but then use team mates for AA to bust enemy fighters.

putting your ranger in a "torp neutral" spot between 2 islands works well.

the only time I put the fighter deck on the ranger is to do the shoot down enemy planes mission, then I switch back ASAP.

as for the original 1/1/1 load..... that is the worst thing out, your missing a whole flight of planes.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

putting your ranger in a "torp neutral" spot between 2 islands works well.

as for the original 1/1/1 load..... that is the worst thing out, your missing a whole flight of planes.

your torp neutral spots is the worst advice ever given. first there are very few to none "torp neutral" spots in any map and almost all of those spots are close to the front lines. second this puts your CV in a disadvantage when it's time to relocate and the need for evasive maneuvers, i see you're still at mid tiers but when you start using big and slow turning CVs of the high tier, you'll regret going very close to islands.

1/1/1 worst? hmm you've got to be a very good CV captain to thrive with 2/0/2 and 0/1/3 hmm

Edited by Deicide

Sign in to follow this