Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kibazaa

Gearing torpedo.

28 comments in this topic

[7_XD]
Super Tester
68 posts
4,742 battles

i think range of gearing torpedo is far , more trop and quickly reload.

US DD's smoke is so OP. they activate smoke and hull down in smoke.

CA can't see them.

they shoot gun and drop trop spaming in smoke.

shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0554.jpg shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0560.jpg shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0962.jpg <---------------- this picture. 2 gearing shoot me.

shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0554.jpg

shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0560.jpg

shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0962.jpg

1,820 posts
8,020 battles

CA can't see them.

shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0554.jpg shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0560.jpg shot-15.11.02_22.12.07-0962.jpg <---------------- this picture. 2 gearing shoot me.

So far they really Buffed Gearing in the Public Test, her Rapid firing skillz are mostly deadly af

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

How did you live with Japanese destroyers? And the Benson and Fletcher?

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Gearing! Best destroyer in the game! The most balanced destroyer among all! Guess what! Benson and Fletcher are not bad. The shittiest destroyer in the American tech tree is the Mahan... 

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

1,820 posts
8,020 battles

I think WG should nerf the concealment of Gearing !!! Long range torp, quick torp reload, good AA and rapid fire - Too OP ???

Nah no nerfs, she's a "Balanced" destroyer by all means.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Don't you dare touch the Gearing! :izmena:

It's the final Grand prize for grinding a rather underwhelming line. 

The one who work or suffer their way to there are of course all elite players. Don't judge too son.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,372 battles

16.5km of 10 torpedos isnt that powerful sir.

Shimakaze got 20km at max, and the 15km one can do ~20000+ dmg per torp at max, which means CA may lose half HP by just taking a hit, furthermore Shimakaze has 15 of them in 3 mounts

which mean the torps from 3rd mount can get hits easier.

Guns : USN DD tend to have a fast turret rotate time, rapid fire.

But the downside for the artillery is low shell damage and velocity with high shell arc. Actually the turret size is larger than IJN, resulting a greater chance for module being damaged or destroyed.

The Gearing ship hull is taller than the IJN DD, which means the ship is more easily to be hit, and even a engine disable. Despite this Gearing features rapid fire, shooting and hitting the target with the high arc of shell isn't an easy job.

IJN DD turret turns slow and the reload time is relatively slower, but the high explosives from IJN (no matter DD / CA) are their best and deadly weapon. With the high concealment rate and good shell, it means Shimakaze can do well in poking, or module destroy/disable, and the mobility allows her easier to do evasive maneuvers.

USN DD are often played as a DD destroyer, with the high spotting range and their seek and destroy mission, that smoke is what the players need.

Anti air guns .... indeed it is high in the ship class and tier, but not going to stand a chance to shot down Midway / Hakuryuu's plane and survive, plus spotting enemy DD is what a CV player should do, without the AA skill, Gearing cannot do what they supposed to do, and do it efficiently. Unlike Shimakaze, she can stay near the fleets and drop torps / do scouting while remain as a ninja.

The pic shows that the enemy Gearings cooperated themselves well in the battle (especially focusing on killing you:D) , their positioning are just great.

I don't see you did anything wrong, the players is just good.

Gearing is a powerful ship, but not op.

You can try to play Gearing on a Tier X match with CV, you get enemy squadrons flying around you for 20mins. And you may consider to think again about your statement above.

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

You forgotten how torp damage is calculated. 

0.9x torp damage when enemy is "clean" or not hit at all.

0.45x torp damage when it's on the first threshold. Pretty easy to reach. 

Then there's the "torpedo bulge" that was implemented but not shown anywhere in the game.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,372 battles

You forgotten how torp damage is calculated. 

0.9x torp damage when enemy is "clean" or not hit at all.

0.45x torp damage when it's on the first threshold. Pretty easy to reach. 

Then there's the "torpedo bulge" that was implemented but not shown anywhere in the game.

Yeah there is damage threshold, but have you ever get hit by Shima's 15km torp

Don't forget torp hit on different ship part gives different damages.

Even there is a mechanism like this, it is not going to save your life / HP.

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Gearing during the CBT was considered the most balance destroyer in the game. I don't know what WG has done to her but i do hope that nothing bad has happened to her. I'm on my way to the Gearing again... Still suffering the Mahan. Damn the Mahan is just HORRIBLE!

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,372 battles

Gearing during the CBT was considered the most balance destroyer in the game. I don't know what WG has done to her but i do hope that nothing bad has happened to her. I'm on my way to the Gearing again... Still suffering the Mahan. Damn the Mahan is just HORRIBLE!

And Gearing during Beta Weekend was considered the most OP ship in the game:D

1 v 1 Yamato no problem

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Don't forget torp hit on different ship part gives different damages.

View PostUmidoori, on 03 November 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

0.45x of 20,000 damage is only 9,000. There are still 15 torpedoes, but that's a very high drop. 

Yamato's bulge decreases even more, at 0.41x.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,372 battles

0.45x of 20,000 damage is only 9,000. There are still 15 torpedoes, but that's a very high drop. 

Yamato's bulge decreases even more, at 0.41x.

yeah Yamato, can survive from it sometimes, she gets good anti torp bulge, as I said it already in other replies.

but in Cruiser / DD sorry, NOPE:teethhappy:

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Getting hit anywhere not on the armour belt gets full torpedo damage and a hole to patch up.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Torpedo Damage

Torpedo damage uses a similar mechanic to shells, however the damage it can inflict is also limited by the each section's damage threshold. It doesn't appear to take into account of armor at all (in fact, it seems to ignore armor completely), the only thing that matters is which section it hits.

• Hits to the bow or stern will deal ~x0.9 (figures are rounded up/down) of torpedo's listed damage, halved after the first threshold and finally takes no damage after the second threshold.
  • The damage multiplier for the midsection varies for each ship e.g. tests show that Yamato has a value of x0.41, Nagato at x0.71 and Des Moines at x0.85. Unlike shell penetration against armor which is modeled relatively realistic, torpedo protection appears to be arbitrarily set to roughly correspond to the protection it had in real life (or in some cases, as designed on paper). Ships with good torpedo protection have low damage multipliers, while those without good protection have higher multipliers.
  • Destroyers are yet again another special case, its midsection takes x0.9 torpedo damage (previously it was x1.36 prior to version 0.4.1).

Torpedo hits to the bow and stern will reduce the section's HP just like shells, however hits to the midsection do not reduce that section's HP at all. Every hit to the midsection will always deal the same amount of damage. If the midsection's first threshold is reached (via gunfire), it will still receive almost as much damage from torpedoes as before (very small difference, almost no change).

The first threshold for most ship's bow and stern are low enough that depending on the torpedo used even one hit is enough to cause enough damage to reach the first threshold. So in many instances, you'll never see the torpedo deal x0.9 damage to the bow or stern. However, after crossing the first threshold the torpedo will consistently deal x0.45 damage per torpedo hit until the second threshold is reached or the ship is sunk (whichever comes first). Depending on the damage multiplier on the midsection, it's almost always better to take torpedo hits in the bow/stern than in the midsection especially if the bow/stern has already reached its first threshold. The reverse is true if the ship has very good torpedo protection (e.g. Yamato), in which case taking hits in the midsection will result in taking less damage.

As if. The highest it seems to go at high tier is 0.9x which then becomes 0.45x after a few shell hits.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

CA can't see them.

gearing was OP back in CBT when HE was still not nerfed(yamato wouldn't last 1 minute being he spammed and getting 4 fire in less than 10 sec), but not anymore.

if they anchor in smoke and start shooting, drop your torps toward that smoke and get away from it as fast as possible. his smoke is finite and if he cant shoot anything it will be wasted. but if you see him drop 8 torps and you managed to evade, you can be confident to enter that smoke and kill him there without the fear of getting "shotgunned" in the face. their torpedo reload is very long.

if you are IJN DD, NEVER fight a gearing; pop smoke and run away then go back killing battleships. leave him to your teammates.

Edited by Deicide

520 posts
11,127 battles

Gearing! Best destroyer in the game! The most balanced destroyer among all! Guess what! Benson and Fletcher are not bad. The shittiest destroyer in the American tech tree is the Mahan... 

Lol... Its like a Better "Torpedo" Version of the Farragut... and Honestly, They should Buff its concealment.  But anyway.. back on topic.

Yeah, i agreed regarding the Gearing... Compared to its US Cousins... i think its pretty much the best TORPEDO and GunBoat amongst all US DDS.   but.....

Its not as Good Looking as Fletcher IMHO :P

Edited by kultabashi

Sign in to follow this