You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

what do you think of coward play style?

24 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

I'm not talking about anybody else, I'm talking about me.

after minekaze to upper tier IJNDD, I can't no longer play a brave role, go ahead to cap area and torp everything in sight.

in mutsuki, whenever I try go ahead and capping area, I tend to die really really fast.

so I decide to change to 'Coward' style,

I don't care anymore about capping area (especially in domination mode), I set speed only 3/4, sail along cruiser, help spotting a bit, torp only enemy that engage my teammate (with only 1% chance of hit T T)

I keep my eyes on enemy team DD icon, if it's still there, and I don't see where he is in minimap, I never go alone to capping any area

I need to be coward, or else, I die fast.

instead of going on ahead to capping, torping, as other DD does, I tend to stay in middle or even behind.

I don't know if other people think, so I ask if I play like this are hindered to the team?

--------------------------------------------

I notice that in next major patch, helping cap, defend, hold area also give a bonus...

bless you sir! bless you!, now I don't have to lose sanity for torp and not hit and don't gain any decent xp each match.

IJN DD can be really ghost of battle field.

all left is to see that XP get from those action are decent enough.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

Capping is essential, but keeping urself alive is more important.

Those want to cap zone with their lives is not a very genius move and shortsighted ( mostly

When you engage ships that you can't win in gun fight, just keep spotting them and the teammates will do it for you ( except for monkey team :)

Indeed IJN can be a ninja for whole round. on high tier, with patient and good positioning your torp maybe a game changer

------------

When you meet a zone that you can't cap for sure, just turn around and find a good spot the drop torps and keep a distance with the enemy ship, perhaps fire a salvo when you need, for reseting the cap points on the enemy.

while retreating, keep dropping torps to slow their movement down, buy times for ur team on the other side.

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Capping is essential, but keeping urself alive is more important.

Those want to cap zone with their lives is not a very genius move and shortsighted ( mostly

When you engage ships that you can't win in gun fight, just keep spotting them and the teammates will do it for you ( except for monkey team :)

Indeed IJN can be a ninja for whole round. on high tier, with patient and good positioning your torp maybe a game changer

------------

When you meet a zone that you can't cap for sure, just turn around and find a good spot the drop torps and keep a distance with the enemy ship, perhaps fire a salvo when you need, for reseting the cap points on the enemy.

while retreating, keep dropping torps to slow their movement down, buy times for ur team on the other side.

and that's all under the assumption that your team is a decent one.

most of the time is a desperate time in this game. you know you're gonna die, that you have no chance to defeat a ship or cap that base without dying but you have no choice if you want to win--that desperate, suicide mission 'm ever willing to partake. i always value the attempt to do everything to win rather than survive and keep your stats intact.

nevertheless, playing cowardly is actually advantageous for IJN DD but it should not be totally in the way the OP describes it. also remember that winning should always be the primary objective of the game, not killing other ships or surviving.

Edited by Deicide

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Instead of cowardly I believe patience is a better term. Cowardly is constantly turning tail and runnning at the first sight of the enemy when you have adequate backup from your team.

65 posts
2,362 battles

The "ah ha" moment you're having OP, is that upper tier DD play is very different from lower tier.

Your torpedos generally always miss because the enemy has plenty of warning that there are torps, you might get 1 hit if fired from range.

Staying with friends is good- another extension is to go wide at the start and be near nothing of interest and just reveal the enemy. Planes don't go near you, ships don't go near you, and you just light the enemy up. Eventually you might get caught, then you burn your cooldowns and run and hope the CV doesnt keep fighters over you to illuminate you.

Of course, 0% realism- but screw it. That's the game.

Edited by Osi

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Instead of cowardly I believe patience is a better term. Cowardly is constantly turning tail and runnning at the first sight of the enemy when you have adequate backup from your team.

Exactly.

Frankly CAs SHOULD be patient initially. At tiers where they start having reasonable AA their best initial use can be screening against aircraft and/or enemy DDs. Hanging around your CVs to assist with absorbing the initial strike can be very useful, as can hanging around with your BBs for the same reason (and also as BBs generally are at a great disadvantage v DDs).

YOLO is generally a useless behaviour.

Having been playing the USN BB line again it is very frustrating watching your CAs advance, inevitably get spotted, then nailed by the enemy BB line. Meanwhile the slow BBs are left alone v planes, or DDs that get through. So you have two classes of ships doing what they are NOT good at (CAs fighting waiting BBs, BBs fighting planes/DDs) instead of working together.

What I find sadly unsurprising is how many people play CAs and never seem to learn any patience at all then moan about useless teams when they've died in the first 4-5 minutes. I've had people complaining about me being too far back when I've in fact been moving at my max speed of 21kts the whole time; that's how little clue they have. They never stop to question their own choices, so that sort of player will forever suck. Great to have on enemy side, but not on yours.

Edited by Steeltrap

65 posts
2,362 battles

Exactly.

Frankly CAs SHOULD be patient initially. At tiers where they start having reasonable AA their best initial use can be screening against aircraft and/or enemy DDs. Hanging around your CVs to assist with absorbing the initial strike can be very useful, as can hanging around with your BBs for the same reason (and also as BBs generally are at a great disadvantage v DDs).

YOLO is generally a useless behaviour.

Having been playing the USN BB line again it is very frustrating watching your CAs advance, inevitably get spotted, then nailed by the enemy BB line. Meanwhile the slow BBs are left alone v planes, or DDs that get through. So you have two classes of ships doing what they are NOT good at (CAs fighting waiting BBs, BBs fighting planes/DDs) instead of working together.

What I find sadly unsurprising is how many people play CAs and never seem to learn any patience at all then moan about useless teams when they've died in the first 4-5 minutes. I've had people complaining about me being too far back when I've in fact been moving at my max speed of 21kts the whole time; that's how little clue they have. They never stop to question their own choices, so that sort of player will forever suck. Great to have on enemy side, but not on yours.

^

This.

100% right :)

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

and that's all under the assumption that your team is a decent one.

most of the time is a desperate time in this game. you know you're gonna die, that you have no chance to defeat a ship or cap that base without dying but you have no choice if you want to win--that desperate, suicide mission 'm ever willing to partake. i always value the attempt to do everything to win rather than survive and keep your stats intact.

nevertheless, playing cowardly is actually advantageous for IJN DD but it should not be totally in the way the OP describes it. also remember that winning should always be the primary objective of the game, not killing other ships or surviving.

yeah you really need a non monkey team to do it :>

atleast a division.

You know most of the time they just don't want to be the first one to push. ( Those don't want to push for saving their live is a nub, not gonna discuss here:D

when someone decided to do it, others will follow.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

either you die honorably or live long enough to see yourself as a coward :D

then again, dying honorably means paying (in higher tiers) huge repair fees or you could play good enough to avoid getting damaged and start dealing heavy damage against the enemy :D 

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

Also, there's a difference in dying honorably and just dying too quickly. 

I am honestly not very happy that that difference is not as clearly defined in players' perceptions in the game as I want it to be... but that's just me.

A lot of times all I see is "screw the team, I want kills"

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Also, there's a difference in dying honorably and just dying too quickly. 

I am honestly not very happy that that difference is not as clearly defined in players' perceptions in the game as I want it to be... but that's just me.

Perhaps you should write to WG about the rewards system?

1,126 posts

"screw the team, I want kills"

It's because both xp and money are calculate from damage you dealt.

for the ship that main weapon are tend to miss a lot and has ultra, mega, super long reload time, it's need other kind of reward system to compensate that.

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

It's because both xp and money are calculate from damage you dealt.

for the ship that main weapon are tend to miss a lot and has ultra, mega, super long reload time, it's need other kind of reward system to compensate that.

Thats why i move to USN and SN DD line :D:D:D

406 posts
6,287 battles

Make doing other stuff worthwhile and people will play the objective, but atm, the game favours those who do lots of damage and sink lots of ships

683 posts
7,358 battles

I used to play CA, and I love to screen BB from enemy aircrafts (cleveland :p), the only prob is I have to wait for the BB in my team to decide to turn left or right, which... in the end our brave DD went ahead with no cover. And when I want to support DD, I ended up banged like crazy by enemy BB :(

Conclusion: really need to work as a team, but sometimes it just doesn't work when everyone becomes conservative

280 posts
3,514 battles

Coward helps you from dangerous situation like me i always hide in the islands with my ships that easily can be sunked well coward's play style is having a flair they will be like THUG LIFE!

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

280 posts
3,514 battles

Real life Captains also scared of sinking their ships!! and Cowering might be tactical and cool!! Because They Fear Death!!

plus it wont be like dying honorably like an Kamikaze or Tenno Heika Banzai Chargers --Thug Life

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

1,126 posts

there was a time, when I play BB

two brother map, domination with 2 capping area

it's look like that match, we play 'marry go round' both my team and enemy go clockwise (you can imagine that right?)

even it's a domination, but score from capping is 1000, in other word, instant lose.

so I decide to stay put to guard the base,

only one DD, with me (I bet he try looking opportunity too get in middle canal) but the whole herd of enemy come.

as my teammate go to cap enemy base, I stay and fight to the death to defend our home base, I said 1 vs 6

I can't sink any of them though, so many of them so I have to keep angle my ship to live as long as possible, (as long as I stay in base area, they can't cap)

result.... victory!!  with 5xx XP and only 6x,xxx money....

heroic death with shitty XP and money....

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

it's look like that match, we play 'marry go round' both my team and enemy go clockwise (you can imagine that right?)

even it's a domination, but score from capping is 1000, in other word, instant lose.

only one DD, with me (I bet he try looking opportunity too get in middle canal) but the whole herd of enemy come.

as my teammate go to cap enemy base, I stay and fight to the death to defend our home base, I said 1 vs 6

I can't sink any of them though, so many of them so I have to keep angle my ship to live as long as possible, (as long as I stay in base area, they can't cap)

Some time i prefer doing that since Winrate is everything to me (Win = Fun / More Win More Fun) :D:D:D

423 posts
3,175 battles

that is indeed, my friend, a wise move...

however, the game reward systems encourage playing crappy and lose, rather than playing stealthly and win.

Once in a match I was on the USS Texas (New York, last hull), I stopped an entire flank with the cost of my life. Their CVs, BBs, CLs throw everything into me and a vanguard that I luckily had, an USS Omaha. We missed many shots, but forced the enemy to zigzaging and detered their attention to the surviving Zuiho and a Mexico to cap. We suppressed them, but like the game FPS Warface, which many praise for realism, not rewarding suppressive fire...

As the result, the game changers was reward MUCH LESS than the 2 dumbass Cleveland, Aoba and dozens of yolo DDs rushing to the left side of Big Race from northernmost team and died. Just because they peppered more on term of damage.

Sad, but true... than we must reward more to "game changers" than YOLOs

1 post
1,807 battles

I've not played higher tiers yet so I'm not sure how bad your DD is.  I do believe however that spotting is underated in this game.  Just keeping enemy lit with DD makes a huge difference to your team.  For some reason wargaming doesnt reward players with EXP for spotting damage (unlike WOT).  I think it should be included to encourage DD's to play more forward, but I think Carriers should be exempt from spotting damage - those things make enough EXP without any more help.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

There is a difference between "Coward Gameplay" and "Conservative Game play".

And as a IJN DD captain after Minekaze, you have to be conservative to survive. You cannot win in a head on battle with an enemy DD (US/RU), you don't want to get spotted by enemy planes or cruisers or you will get big chunks of steel flying at you. As an IJN captain, you have to hang back and find the best opportunity to fire a torpedo spread to score a kill.