You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
urabutreaks

Does moving effect shell dispersion?

43 comments in this topic

3 posts
270 battles

does moving affect shell dispersion? as in any difference between stop, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full?

do you need to wait a second or two between shots for the dispersion circle to reduce like in WOT?

the wiki only gives the basics of how shell dispersion works

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

It does not.

Turning does reduce accuracy somewhat, though.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

Don't believe in what Haku said. Listen to me, sit still and most of your shot will hit. Research has shown that stationary ship has a higher chance hitting enemy ship, just like in WOT!

Edited by NguyenArchitakuVN

621 posts
2,288 battles

Don't believe in what Haku said. Listen to me, sit still and most of your shot will hit. And let me hit your sitting duck.

Sitting still also decreases incoming shell damage and allows your crew to put out fires / fix damaged modules faster since they're on a stabler platform :D

Super Tester
1,310 posts

nope.

sitting still gives u BOOST to the accuracy of your enemy ofcourse

also. even tough its just my feeling. but it seems like its easier for me to hitting citadel to enemy that are turning (from angling against u to broadside against u) :3

but mostly its depend on RNG. 

when RNG said nope. its a nope. even when you are sitting still aiming at sitting still enemy, u can miss most of ur shell (if u are BB).

but when RNG is blessing you. expect citadel fest (if you know how to do citadel hit ofcourse) :v 

Edited by ReNation

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

It does not.

Yup, it does not.

Don't believe in what Haku said. Listen to me, sit still and most of your shot will hit. Research has shown that stationary ship has a higher chance hitting enemy ship, just like in WOT!

And you are wrong cause sitting still your shells will still miss, thanks to the RNG also IRL sitting stills shells will miss because the wind directions, and the weather also and also whether is the enemy ships moving?

[1-ATF]
Beta Tester
39 posts
4,058 battles

nope.

sitting still gives u BOOST to the accuracy of your enemy ofcourse

also. even tough its just my feeling. but it seems like its easier for me to hitting citadel to enemy that are turning (from angling against u to broadside against u) :3

but mostly its depend on RNG. 

when RNG said nope. its a nope. even when you are sitting still aiming at sitting still enemy, u can miss most of ur shell (if u are BB).

but when RNG is blessing you. expect citadel fest (if you know how to do citadel hit ofcourse) :v 

It actually IS easier to citadel an enemy turning toward you from an away angle, because he temporarily exposes part of his less-armored underwater hull during the turn. Hitting this part usually gets you citadels.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

The ONLY thing sitting still does is remove the need for the enemy to estimate correct aiming point to account for distance travelled during shell flight time, i.e. lead.

Assuming a shot is fired to the correct lead point, or at a stationary target, the chance of in fact hitting is identical as it is entirely governed by RNG and dispersion.

It's something I don't like as it allows people to do the most ridiculous things and get away with them. It's one thing for a tank to be sitting still when firing; reality was that vehicles of the era were generally useless at firing on the move.

Ships, on the other hand, would NEVER choose to sit still in a fight if they were able to move.

Edited by Steeltrap

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Have you a source that states turning in fact affects a gun's dispersion i.e. is coded somewhere in the gunnery parameters?

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

That's the first I have heard of this! Dispersion should change based on speed, pitch and roll, however, it is hard coded, therefore nothing you do in a ship will change it.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

That's the first I have heard of this! Dispersion should change based on speed, pitch and roll, however, it is hard coded, therefore nothing you do in a ship will change it.

Which is why I have asked for the source.

We really ought to avoid making claims about "how things work" without evidence for those claims.

Of course if we wait for anyone official in Asia to tell us anything of significance we'll die of old age (I suspect WG from St P doesn't tell Asia anything), so sometimes people have useful stuff from other places.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Which is why I have asked for the source.

We really ought to avoid making claims about "how things work" without evidence for those claims.

Of course if we wait for anyone official in Asia to tell us anything of significance we'll die of old age (I suspect WG from St P doesn't tell Asia anything), so sometimes people have useful stuff from other places.

Generally, if you see any of the moderators or supertesters responding to a query - that's pretty much as close to official as we get in all the various servers.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Generally, if you see any of the moderators or supertesters responding to a query - that's pretty much as close to official as we get in all the various servers.

Not necessarily.

It's only "official" if it came from WG staff ;-)

Like leng, this is the first I've heard of turning affecting accuracy. I know that back in early Alpha range was affected by turning (as the ship heels).

As usual, take everything with a pinch of salt.

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

from experiment by myself ... turning will make dispersion and RNG go crazy .... it like sheel spread double size than go forward alone .... 

but don't know exactly how the game work

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

from experiment by myself ... turning will make dispersion and RNG go crazy .... it like sheel spread double size than go forward alone .... 

but don't know exactly how the game work

Mental issue much ?

Edited by R3negade

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,880 battles

I dont think so OP...but in my case I personally like to fire from with 30 degrees front or aft depending on the position of your guns like in kongo or fuso so that the dispersion is somewhat smaller on the particular target...Im not sure if this has any effect though but from my observation following the shells upon firing they so become smaller rather than firing at 90 degrees port or starboard...

Do correct me if Im wrong...cheers

280 posts
3,514 battles

this is madness!! when you fire all of them its still the same !! maybe just maybe you hear me? its the game's mechanics and stuff trust me tested all dem hoes im just giving an opinion.. remember!! sequential firing makes shells more accurate than double clicking 

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

280 posts
3,514 battles

i dont think so !!! because i tested them like a pimp but still it does disperse but adjusting fire and trying to shoot the cannonz with sequential fire works better than double clicking that you might be in a quick shots!! I ALWAYS GO TO KILLSHOTS NOT QUICKSHOTS!!

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Sequential firing results in an individual dispersion roll on each turret. Broadside firing results in one dispersion roll for the entire broadside. Given that there are more shells in the air when broadside firing, this generally translates to better accuracy than sequential. The only reason you'd want to go sequential is if turrets are having trouble keeping up with targets, or if you don't want to waste an entire broadside on a nearly dead target.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Sequential firing results in an individual dispersion roll on each turret. Broadside firing results in one dispersion roll for the entire broadside. Given that there are more shells in the air when broadside firing, this generally translates to better accuracy than sequential. 

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me.

Assuming the dispersion is a 'roll' with some sort of normalised distribution around a mean AND is truly random then it MUST follow that any 'benefit' of getting a 'good' roll on a broadside v the risk of a 'bad' roll for ONE turret out of many is equally countered by the risk of a 'bad' roll for that broadside.

Individual performance within a battle MUST come down to luck, assuming all shots are aimed correctly, regardless of sequential or broadside firing. I suppose one qualifier to that might be getting lucky enough to hit with a lot of shells from a broadside could kill an opponent, but realistically if it genuinely matters HOW one fires then the devs haven't built it properly (other than the issue you raised of not firing a broadside at a low health target).

Doubly so when one considers the usual doctrine was one gun/turret fired for spotting, another with correction, then broadsides when generally on target.

Cheers