You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
del2010100216

Should WG add the Pocket Battleships?

21 comments in this topic

66 posts
180 battles

Pocket battleships/Panzerschiffe/armored ships are German heavy cruisers equipped with heavy armaments such as the 6x28cm naval gun. This was made according to the limitations by the Treaty of Versailles. The 3 pocket battleships are Deutschland (Renamed to Lutzow later on), Admiral Scheer, and Admiral Graf Spee. So, should WG add these pocket battleships or nah? 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

They will. The Deutschland-class has too much reputation to be ignored.

I suspect we will see the Deutschland as a normal ship, probably slotted into the German battleship line or simply put in a new ship type of her own, or simply placed as a side upgrade from either the cruiser or battleship branches (or maybe both) as a Tier 7 (maybe?), and the Graf Spee will be a premium ship, since she has an almost-mythical reputation, is interesting as a ship by herself, and she is not the lead ship of her class.

P.S. I just call them armoured cruisers or super-heavy cruisers. I used to call them battlecruisers, but I was convinced otherwise.

P.P.S. Silly countries and their differing naming conventions...curse you!

Edited by Haku

Super Tester
1,677 posts

As their notoriety is there and is too good to pass up, the question now is how will they mess with the params and how will they behave? A battleship with battlecruiser grade guns (11 inch) with cruiser grade armor or a heavy cruiser that hits like a battleship?

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

It's funny to think that I always mistook Hipper as a BB from a distance :D

anyways, Pocket BB's eh, probably they should add it but in a different tech tree line, I suppose..

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

It's funny to think that I always mistook Hipper as a BB from a distance :D

anyways, Pocket BB's eh, probably they should add it but in a different tech tree line, I suppose..

Sail with Tirpitz and the enemy will think that it's 2 BBs sailing together. Just like how Admiral Holland mistook Prinz Eugen for Bismarck in Battle of Denmark Strait

Heck, plenty of times when I'm in Shokaku, I mistook Roon onwards as BBs

Edited by Makise_Kuristina

Super Tester
1,677 posts

They will probably make it OP. Even though the KMS wasn't that good in terms of naval warfare because their country isn't that surrounded by water...

define "OP" then. Because she's going to literally crack when facing a hail of gunfire with her cruiser grade hull, you will need to aim  a bit more where the AP shell will punch through against other battleships and I don't think they even chugged in a bulge on her.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,636 battles

Pocket Battleship? that's not a pocket battleship this is a pocket battleship (well Kustpansarfartyg)

7400tons

4x 11in guns, 8x 6in guns

8in (200mm) belt armour, main gun turret armour and conning tower

this is a pocket battleship

HMS_Sverige_during_WW2.jpg

HMS_Sverige_during_WW2.jpg

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Hmm? You're missing a lot of points to define a ship's class, pal. What about the armor? The engine? And the smaller armaments?

As far as I recall reading on the net a few months ago, they're mostly classified based on their primary armament and to a lesser extent their tonnage.

Secondaries, engine performance, armour is irrelevant

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,636 battles

^ oh dear, you may want to read again. I put it's real Swedish designation in brackets (if you like I could put it into English, even though it is a Swedish ship)

As for pocket battleships it is true their is no such thing, Deutschland class being powerful armoured cruisers.

By the way if you click on the picture you get full size :trollface:

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,636 battles

Pocket battleship is a "nickname" given to them by the British (not a class)

I was joking when I called the Swedish 'Coastal Defence Battleships' pocket battleships. the joke being they are more of a pocket BB then the 3 German Armoured cruisers.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

They will. The Deutschland-class has too much reputation to be ignored.

I suspect we will see the Deutschland as a normal ship, probably slotted into the German battleship line or simply put in a new ship type of her own, or simply placed as a side upgrade from either the cruiser or battleship branches (or maybe both) as a Tier 7 (maybe?), and the Graf Spee will be a premium ship, since she has an almost-mythical reputation, is interesting as a ship by herself, and she is not the lead ship of her class.

P.S. I just call them armoured cruisers or super-heavy cruisers. I used to call them battlecruisers, but I was convinced otherwise.

P.P.S. Silly countries and their differing naming conventions...curse you!

Naming conventions aren't strongly adhered to and had less meaning in the lead up for WW2 and during the conflict.

No military power ever considered the Deutschland class cruisers or panzerschiffe as Battlecruisers though.

As their notoriety is there and is too good to pass up, the question now is how will they mess with the params and how will they behave? A battleship with battlecruiser grade guns (11 inch) with cruiser grade armor or a heavy cruiser that hits like a battleship?

Hopefully they will be placed into the Heavy Cruiser category.

They acted like cruisers and were never intended to fulfill the (nebulous and confusing) role of a Battlecruiser or a Battleship. Anything else is armchair fanboy enthusiasm.

But the definition of DDs, CA, CL etc is defined by their gun calibres.

In WoWS - sure. Here's hoping that WG recognise that there is a need for flexibility with their classification. Classing this as a capital ship / BB is... foolish.

No such thing? Like the term, pocket battleship was not a thing? Read the history of the three pocket battleships and the Treaty of Versailles, bro. And pocket battleships only consisted of 3 German heavy cruisers. There's no such thing as a Swedish pocket battleship. Just sayin'. 

Pocket Battleship was never a term used seriously by any military. It was a term coined by the press and armchair naval enthusiasts. Much like we are doing now.

Tee

65 posts
2,362 battles

Only challenge, is that Battlecruisers have been split between BB and CL/CA lines.

Who knows how they'll split these... There will be salty tears no matter how they do it :)

*grabs popcorn*

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,232 battles

Definately they should include the pocket BB's.

They could have a seperate smaller line that branches off the main crusier tech tree or from the BB tech tree no problems, they did similar in world of tanks if i recall correctly.

They could sit on a separate two ship line with the Scharnhorst at tiers 6 and 7.

Edited by jimmywrangles_1

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

About what you said in the first paragraph. True, pal. These 3 were never considered as battlecruisers. There is a huge difference between battlecruiser and Panzerschiffe. 

I wasn't too clear. I meant to write that the Deatschland class were classed as heavy cruisers or panzerschiffe. They were not classed as Battlescruisers.

:)