Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
war4sure

provisions for self-inflicted damages?

7 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Is there any provisions or compensations that can be given to players that ended up damaging or destroyed themselves in an accidental self-inflicted attacks?

Happened to me today,took my Zuiho for the first time and sometime later in the battle a Konisberg appears and starts to haunt me with HE shells.In a bit save myself since my allies are too far to provide immediate help I launched a torpedo bomber at him.It worked,but in the process I ended taking two of my own torpedoes.Fortunate I didn't sink and my team won the match.

88 posts
709 battles

If compensation for self harm becomes a thing, my crystal ball tells me that the lonely carrier on the losing team will scuttle itself for the reward.

Edited by Mr_Good_Citizen

55 posts
3,922 battles

As others have said, why should "accidental" self-damage be compensated?  Especially as there is no way that the game server can determine that the damage was accidental.  It would have to require manual examination of the replay and I don't see WG wanting to waste time and resources on that (nor would I want them to either).

Moreover, how do you damage yourself in this game anyway?  In WoT there were several ways - jumping off cliffs, splash damage from your own HE shells (a favourite of SPG players trying to deny the enemy a kill, but can happen accidentally too, in close-quarter combat) and drowning (often deliberate).  In WoWs I only see one way of damaging yourself - you have to be in a carrier and your planes bomb or torpedo your own ship.  In most cases this would be deliberate.  The only time it could be accidental is when you use your planes to defend yourself and the enemy is very close.  In this case I would say self-damage is just a risk you take with such a tactic and shouldn't be compensated for.

I also thought of ships (esp destroyers) turning into their own torpedoes, but as torpedoes are faster than any ship out there, this should be impossible to do.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

That does sound like a last measure effort to defend yourself. Glad that it worked.

But as others have said, how would the game know it was accidental.

Likewise in a game the other day, I engaged enemy cruisers at 3 kms, when I snuck around the corner on the Solomon island map. They were to the N and I was the S. The enemy CV dropped 2 squadrons of torps on me (8 in total) I took 1, and the enemy ships took 3, sinking one and hurting another. The CV probably thought he did the right thing, but he wouldn't have wagered his ships being that close by the time that they dropped.

A game has no idea that its an accident or deliberate in those situations.

I did record in the early OBT, a CV taking himself out when his team was losing. That was deliberate though, there is no way to gauge this within the game itself.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Is there any provisions or compensations that can be given to players that ended up damaging or destroyed themselves in an accidental self-inflicted attacks?

Happened to me today,took my Zuiho for the first time and sometime later in the battle a Konisberg appears and starts to haunt me with HE shells.In a bit save myself since my allies are too far to provide immediate help I launched a torpedo bomber at him.It worked,but in the process I ended taking two of my own torpedoes.Fortunate I didn't sink and my team won the match.

Didn't know that you are a TK-er... :D

Sign in to follow this