Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fire_Spy

Higher tier malarkey

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

It's getting to be ridiculous.. How much it costs to just run the higher tier ships, playing the higher tiers is fun.. but it is sooo not worth the cost.. even if you win.. you lose..  I ran my Fletcher last night.. great long battle.. my team won.. I did some decent damage.. got one kill.. lost 40K credits.. This needs to be fixed.. when you can win a battle and still lose money? *sigh* .. I know.. y'all will say.. don't play the higher tiers.. but dammit.. I like the ships there..  

I do have a whole swarm of lower tier ships I muck about in..  but I do love my higher tier ships.. 

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

You're expected to have premium account status if you want to break even/make money at higher tiers. Or high tier premium ships. Or both.

Otherwise you have to play a few lower tiers to make up for it.

That's their business model. 

32 posts
2,644 battles

Break even I haven't had a T8+ match where ive broke even ... must just be a crap player and yes I do have premium.

I wont have premium any more just play low teirs for fun now I have all T8 ships but wont use them even sold some.

Their business model is ruining the game surley they can see that or are we all morons with too much money.

Ive been on the public test server and the game play is sooooo much better than SEA, your aim actually works and ping is worse

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Well I concluded as far back as Alpha/CB that for me there was little point in playing past tier 6. The tier 7 BBs are generally crap, and one might argue the balance is in fact 'best' around tier 6 anyway (even the Cleveland isn't the blatant "I win" button it used to be).

In short if you're not interested in spending money, there's little to be gained playing past tier 6.

I'm not sure what you get at the higher tiers you can't get at the lower ones anyway, and I reached Yamato in Alpha and North Carolina in beta and a bunch of CAs/DDs as well.

Higher tier battles often feature a gazillion planes in the air, too, and I find that gets old very quickly.

So play tier 6, maybe keep a tier 8 if you like it, and otherwise just tool around and have some fun now and again. It's not as though there's anything to do that's different at higher tiers compared with lower ones. At least that's how I see it.

p.s. yes, I know, I just said don't play the higher tiers, LOL.

Edited by Steeltrap

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

I agree with tier 7 being mostly crap... I've been slowly grinding my way past the Colorado.. And I do okay with it.. not brilliant but well enough.. And I really like the Fletcher DD.. even though I lose 20-30K every battle no matter how well I seem to do.. If I cop damage then I lose money.. but on the whole the tier 7 ships are not the best.. no idea why they have done them like that.. I keep a few lower tier ships about for cash making and lower tier fun.. 

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

"I do well in high tiers, but I always lose credits."

- not a single screenshot -

May I ask to atleast post the screenshots of 2-3 battles as an example.

If possible with the entire battle log, including the damage taken and finances stuff in the last tab.

Now I do believe it when people state they lose credits around tier IX and X, cause that's the area

where one either gets even or gains like 10k credits when doing okay.

But when it's not only lower tiers, but also while doing good... okay... I'll accept that when proof is supplied...

Btw, common knowledge for anyone who has played WoT is to keep atleast one (I prefer several) vehicle on mid tiers (IV - VI)

that...

a) You do well with

b) You get lots of credits with

c) You enjoy playing

The reasoning behind this is that it's usually easier to farm credits on the mid tiers for various reasons.

For one the repair costs (Cpt. Obvious) are lower, thus less credits are spent even if you take massive damage or sink.

Additionally you'll face less experienced players (Not accounting for OMFG MUST SPEND ALL MONEY TO GET TO TIER X players),

which are usually easy to outplay.

Plus, and that's the most important part for me, I still don't like how much of a mess higher tiers are.

For the most part the game is still lacking some good amount of variety in ships to actually play out well.

On low/mid tiers that's okay, especially with many fast BBs around that can actually go close to the front and take some damage

while avoiding torpedoes.

On high tiers we're looking at BBs that are great at dealing damage from the second row (I.e. around 10-15km range, perhaps even 8km in some cases).

They aren't doing well in close combat though, which is a position that currently can only be filled in by either moving the turtle BBs up front or by having

good CAs and DDs that can dodge well.

As for CVs on that tier... no comment, still waiting for a major re-work of the whole class.

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

Oh I do keep a few lower tier ships about and I have an Atlanta sitting there for grabbing credits with.. 

And I know taking damage or being sunk at the higher tiers means you lose credits.. last night, in that battle I was talking about in my OP, I survived with about 6-7K health and made 123K give or take a few and lost 169K in repairs.. 

You will usually always take some damage during a battle and sometimes get sunk.. Just seems the costs are exaggerated for higher tier ships, which could be fair given the rewards can be greater.. but on the surface.. yeah, it just doesn't seem to add up.. 

One thing is for sure, you don't sail your higher tier ships with the goal getting lots of money to spend on upgrades.. I don't know about how it is for CV's cause I don't use them.. Do they lose out on money at the higher tiers as well? 

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

From my experience during CBT:

Once you reach tier VII, better keep a low tier ship or use a premium ship to help fund your account.At one point during CBT I got so broke I was unable to afford the repair bills for my Aoba and Fuso. Fortunately I'm an Alpha Tester and have the Iwaki at hand. That little cruiser saved me.

Super Tester
509 posts

239K repair bills on a T9 CV :ohmy:

I have premium and it still kicks you in the balls to play at those levels. :(

In WoT I could easily play T9 battles and I always earnt more than the repair and rearm costs.

I guess it promotes playing like a total coward and hiding way way back from the action when dying is such a huge penalty.:P

350 posts

I ran my Fletcher for 4 or 5 battles yesterday, I died in all but 1 or 2.

I only lost credits in one battle, and even that was only about a 25k credit loss.

No one plays high tiers to make a profit, that's what mid tiers are for but if you continually lose credits at high tiers with a premium account it's your own fault.

65 posts
2,362 battles

@Retia 

They don't need to provide a screenshot- this is a very common occurance as far as I'm concerned.

My Des Moines costs 252k to repair for full damage, I've had games where I've won (but been sunk) and I've destroyed ships and still ended up in negative credits at the end.

You play high tiers at cost.

Premiums and low to mid tiers boost your credits supply to counteract this.

The one really good thing high tiers do, is on double and triple xp events allow you to bank away upto ~8k xp in a game for conversion later.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Yeah, which is why I'm on the "stop at tier 6" plan. Frankly I don't even play enough to get there all that quickly.

Unless they can offer something significantly better/different from mid-tier play, I'm not of a mind to spend money to allow me to do at high tiers what I can otherwise do for free.

[WOWMY]
166 posts
12,880 battles

I too never dicover this myself when I was pushing for IJN BB line only and seldom play on the other line let alone USN...but after I was focussing to get Cleveland...I fell in love with St. Louis...

I personally keep St Louis (capt lvl 4 soon) as a cash cow where I can land alot of hits, kills and good credits esp when you ended up with Chesters and Chikumas...to make up for my Amagi and Nagato...I do keep Albany for fun too...and yes I find keeping Tier IV - VI is ample to support the campaigns on higher tiers...on normal day...just finishing the x1.5 exp itself will yield me with some 1 or 2 mil extra cash...

280 posts
3,514 battles

lol i love st louis too and i can even shank a tier 7 cruiser battleship and destroyers but not in the lone wolf mode

the high tier ships be like ... dude an tier 3 usn cruiser sunked a tier 6/7 ship?

i will be like .... THUG LIFE!! IM A PIMP SO I PIMPED MY WHIP!!         SINK YOU LATER Officers!!

my opinion is the st louis is considered as a battleship because of its armor is almost similar to south christmas carolina

Edited by Vorshlaghammer666

520 posts
11,127 battles

I too find the credit loss higher up ther Tier Ladder, specially from tiers 8 to 10, specially without a premium account.  But  i too love the ships.  I have a better win rate athigher tiers.

I have premium Atlanta and Murmansk to keep the cash comming in.  I also maintain a Mahan (yes.... its a mahan) that i rather like that i use to rake in 50k to 150k during good games.

I love higher tier games, i just hope the Businessmodel would change.  Lol

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

The Mahan gets a torpedo boost in the next patch which is great and made a hell of a difference in how that ship goes in matches.. So much so that I will be using one as credit and XP winner for me.. 

Sign in to follow this