Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pseudoscope

Make the game fun again

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,582 battles

Hi Devs, 

Been on and off the game now for a while. And I just don't find the game near as fun as it used to be.

The main reason for this is the grind, or as I like to call it, the backwards grind. Everything from tier 6 up, is a massive uphill slog. And the games are worse for it. As a player, when you lose, you lose big on credits for repairs, so everyone starts playing really conservative. Ships are shit because you can't fully kit them out anymore (not enough credits) and everything takes way longer than it should. 

Something needs to happen with the cost of repairs and modules at higher tiers. Something needs to happen to promote spontaneous aggressive gameplay, Something needs to happen to make this game fun again. 

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

This is a F2P game. There will of course be grinds.

But it is true that the economy this game is pretty ****. I agree.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

^^ what he said.

There are no end game content...unlike WOT. No point rushing up the tiers and getting into a credit and xp black hole. Just play what you enjoy.

The soon upcoming patch 0.5.1 will introduce new mechanics and maps to keep things fresh. 

84 posts
4,438 battles

Have you played an MMO game that didn't require you to grind anything?

Dota2 didn't need you to grind anything. you basically get can play every game mode beside ranked battle and you can pick any heroes right from the start. :trollface:

Beta Tester
57 posts
3,020 battles

as some people  have all ready said there is no fleet or fleet wars system introduced yet that is why i stop at tier 8

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Dota2 didn't need you to grind anything. you basically get can play every game mode beside ranked battle and you can pick any heroes right from the start. :trollface:

Disagree. Every game, you need to grind through creeps and other heroes to get end-game items and skills.

The point of an MMO game is to develop your character through some form of progression. Previously, this was limited to just MMORPGs, but now MMOFPSes are making some headway here (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny). Right now there is no other viable way to do that except to grind.

621 posts
2,289 battles

By T5/6 you can already unlock some pretty good ships (Konigsberg, Kongou, Minekaze, Cleveland, Aoba etc.), there's no clan wars and therefore no rush for T10.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
341 battles

Disagree. Every game, you need to grind through creeps and other heroes to get end-game items and skills.

The point of an MMO game is to develop your character through some form of progression. Previously, this was limited to just MMORPGs, but now MMOFPSes are making some headway here (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny). Right now there is no other viable way to do that except to grind.

Unless you throw a lot of money at it and buy your way to the top :D

(this is optional :D )

[AE]
202 posts
9,515 battles

Ahhh but its a WG game.

Pay special attention to what AntifowlAwl said. He nailed it in one.

There is no pot of gold at tier X. In WoT almost all the fun is at tier 1-7. From 8+ people get angrier, and the losses far more unpleasant. I can't wrap my mind around how many people botted their way to higher tiers in WoT, given that there is no point getting there. The fun is in the way up.

I am not sure what Spawnster (Gidday) was referring to as "End of game content" in WoT - I would hazard a guess and say Clan Wars (Which requires people to have high tier tanks). I have an IS-7, and IS-4 and multiple others but I prefer my Tier V tank-destroyer the T-67. My personal experience with WOWS stablemate is that protecting your WR, and grinding believing that there is something wonderful at the end is the way to madness.

Quite simply, the game is best played without any reference to WR, and the vehicles in each tier should be studied for their potential. I would rate the T-67 as the best, most dominant, vehicle in the game. Same with WOWS. I am sure that I will find a tier 4-8 beauty that will be my favourite.

I've already posted that I think that XVM becoming available in this game would ruin it, as it will ensure that good players in BBs will be singled out by the Carriers for "Special" attention. I expect that frustration, not fun, will become the norm.

As far as "Spontaneous" aggressive gameplay, be careful what you wish for. I loved WoT best when good players could use camo and defend properly. Unfortunately now its pretty much "Rush to Die as pointlessly as possible" contest, with game after game resulting in totally unsatisfying 15-1 or 1-15 battles. No fun in that. I would rather loose in a tight 15 minute battle than win in a 2 minute job. The grind in this game is longer due to the fact that the battles go for about 3 or 4 times as long. You simply cant grind out the xp like you can in WoT. But, if WoT is anything to go by, then there will be years of new content coming out, so you will always be grinding.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

@Flemboy, end game content in WOT was Tier 10 for clan wars. Of course WG recently changed that. Now you can compete in CWs in tier 8s and 6s. For ships, getting to tier 9s and 10d will be a test of your patience and finances, seeing how you'll likely lost credits. That's why I have said it before and will continue to say it, just stay at the ships you enjoy no matter the tier, even tier 1s if you are so inclined. However the sweet spot in ships is currently at tier 5s and 6s imho.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I have the same enjoyment whether playing tier 3 or tier 7.

There is no pot of gold at tier 10, so what is the rush to get there?

Although I don't like free workers as they undermine the authority that a patron SHOULD have on these f2p games, Anti is absolutley right. Low tiers can offer the same satisfaction you seek as high tiers.

Beta Tester
45 posts
6,582 battles

,. Thats the thing though, why should higher tier ships cost more to buy repair and upgrade? we don't see any increase in the credits for the round, why should it get harder to play this game? I understand the grind, but the grind has to be fun.

I'm currently at t8, the benson, the fletcher is 158,000 experience. Now given I average about 1000 a game thats 158 games, at 20mins a piece ~52hrs that I need to grind the benson, for the experience alone. Now assuming I'm a somewhat dedicated gamer and give the game 5hrs a week, that's around 10 weeks, simply to get the next ship. 

When you throw in the fact that I'm currently losing money, even in 10 weeks. I won't have enough credits to buy the ship. Ever.

I understand that it is free to play, but when you look at the paid model, It's got no value compared to a triple A title. I'd gladly throw $50 at this game if they made it fun. Probably throw $80 to get all the premium ships and more port slots and ease of customisation. 

I enjoy playing low tiers, but I want to try everything. The only reason to make it such a grind is for those people who need that content for years to come to keep their interests. Those of us who have nothing better to do.

I found out about WOWs through youtube, watching people play. The game looked fun and interesting and the guys liked it. What I didn't know was the WG had given them press accounts, which basically gave them everything.

This game isn't as fun as it could be. Whoever is on the business side needs to see this, and understand there is an opportunity to make a title that is both fun and profitable.  

621 posts
2,289 battles

Nothing's gonna be fun if you treat it as work. Grinding isn't a job, it's a side effect of playing the game. Play what you enjoy and sooner or later you'll wake up one day to find that the next part has been unlocked. While the experience and credit costs at the higher tiers (8 or higher) are rather....extreme, you've got plenty of good stuff mid-tier anyways. 

It's a game, not a job.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

,. the benson, for the experience alone. Now assuming I'm a somewhat dedicated gamer and give the game 5hrs a week, that's around 10 weeks, simply to get the next ship.

5hrs a week is no where near what a semi dedicated gamer does a week, try 3-5 hours a day, dedicated gamer would be 6hrs plus a day!

what you just described is a casual gamer

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,858 posts
4,140 battles

You just have to play when you WANT to play.

I haven't touched WOT in over 3 months and I don't miss it.  I might do 3-4 games of WOWS on the odd day and once I'm annoyed by the play style I leave to other games that I find more dynamic and enjoyable.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Have ever played an MMO besides this?? Wargaming.net has to make money off this game somehow... You want the better ships at Tier 6 and up?? You gotta invest the time and effort on it... Feeling handicapped over that? Fork over the greens... That's why I have yet to go Tier 7 and up later once I get a Credit Card... Going F2P for higher tiers is a bit extreme for my taste...

Edited by Kreigg

Sign in to follow this