You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Terkoz

Karlsruhe is sapping my will to play this game.

49 comments in this topic

29 posts
1,050 battles

This ship has to be the worst one I have ever come across. I'm far from a good player at this game so I don't expect to move quickly between the ships however this one is beyond ridiculous. I won the Konigsberg for the test run and thoroughly enjoyed it but in trying to get it properly I'm honestly starting to be put off the game. Round after round of seeing pathetically low numbers coming up from my hits using either AP or HE. 

I'm starting to wonder is someone who shall remain nameless is trying to push us towards paying to get past this pile of poo and this is while I currently have premium. I wouldn't even bother trying if I didn't have it. Add to this the majority of my matches seem to be against ships two levels above me which outrange as well as outgun me. With other ships I can get XP ranges of between 200 and 2500. With this ship I don't think I've managed to get beyond 300.

Oh and I'm not paying to make the xp to get past it. I've already put $65 into this game and I'm not paying for premium AND to skip ships they make unusable.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

If you can't deal with it, then don't play this tech line. Given how fast they fire, of course they will have low damage. You will be relying more on fire damage rather than HE. German AP rounds so far exceed my expectations, they can penetrate 2 tiers above them for as long as you know how to use them.

The only choices for you is to either quit the game or suck it up and be a better player.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

A wild warship appeared!!!

What will captain do?

Captain used Equal Speed Charlie London

Captain played battle as as long range support

It was super effective!

Battle complete (notice I didn't say win because matchmaking RNG)

Captain has gained exp and creds!

What, Karlsruhe is evolving......

Congratulations, your Karlsruhe has evolved into a Konigsberg!!

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
509 posts

Same mate its worse than the Furry Taco was. I find spamming AP in it against other cruisers seems to be the best way to deal some damage for xp. The 18,000 till the next ship should feel quick but in this one its dragging on.

Spamming HE on BBs doesnt seem to do much if you dont get a fire 100+ hits for say 10K damage =P

29 posts
1,050 battles

If you can't deal with it, then don't play this tech line. Given how fast they fire, of course they will have low damage. You will be relying more on fire damage rather than HE. German AP rounds so far exceed my expectations, they can penetrate 2 tiers above them for as long as you know how to use them.

The only choices for you is to either quit the game or suck it up and be a better player.

Sigh and cue the troll "learn to be better" response. 

I suspect you haven't played this ship or you would not have tried to defend it. In doing some more research it would appear I was right and this ship is performing well below others in the same tier. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/54899-karlsruhe-why-does-it-suck-so-much/#topmost

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Sigh and cue the troll "learn to be better" response. 

I suspect you haven't played this ship or you would not have tried to defend it. In doing some more research it would appear I was right and this ship is performing well below others in the same tier. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/54899-karlsruhe-why-does-it-suck-so-much/#topmost

Gun is identical and more accurate that konisberg's albeit lower range; and konisberg i've played a lot. I'm not saying it is better than any ship, but it is not terrible as you say, and not as terrible as you play :P having a terrible ship is not an excuse for having an even more terrible stat(9k avg/damage??). and your stat tells another story about how you waste your ship's potential and they end up looking terrible. sorry if this is harsh, but its the reality. There are bunch more underpowered ships in this game(e.g. mutsuki, farragut) that needs more urgent buff and karlsruhe is not one of them.

Edited by Deicide

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

OK, bought this ship just for this discussion.

COMPLETELY STOCK

fNS4ldq.jpg

z6BJHL3.jpg

Verdict: it is a high difficulty ship. the gun positions are terrible and the guns are slower than i imagined. but that's the bad thing about it

Shots do indeed arc high but at this point, I'm so used from the plunging shots of konis, nurnberg and atlanta so adjust your aim higher and all is good. AP shots are just what I expected. The armor is surprisingly good for this tier and bounces of other CA's APs easily at angle. Torpedo arc is still good though torpedo count is bad.

In the end, this ship isn't as good as isokaze but it isn't any worse than kuma for me(god i hate kuma and traumatized from kitakami). I don't know if its just me being used to this kind of gun arc, in the end its all about how you use it. Not a keeper, not a decent ship, but not terribad that needs an urgent buff.

29 posts
1,050 battles

...and not as terrible as you play :P having a terrible ship is not an excuse for having an even more terrible stat(9k avg/damage??). and your stat tells another story about how you waste your ship's potential and they end up looking terrible. sorry if this is harsh, but its the reality. ...

As I said openly at the beginning I'm not that great a player. With my eyesight and coordination I'm perfectly happy playing at the level I do so your attempt to try and humiliate me by bringing up my shit stats doesn't faze me I'm afraid. I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself so fire away sir.

And bully for you doing so well with your 29 hits and three kills. It doesn't change the fact that lots of people are finding it unpleasant to play when compared to ships at the same level. Not everyone plays at the same level and one person having no problem using it does not make everything fine if many more do.

29 posts
1,050 battles

On the plus side though I do give you credit for trying the ship yourself to see if you were right. Thats more than most people would do,

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

finally i played my 3rd game and final game on this ship. I generally don't like low tier games so I won't be staying long here regardless if they're a good ship or bad.

Ended up 33k damage/game. IDK but i think i'll do more if only I upgraded the ship(i won't spend another 1m+ cred on a test ship).

My 2nd game is your typical bad game. Bullied by a zuiho then killed by either the kuma of cleveland and did a measly 10k damage. Not worth screenshot.

in this 3rd game i think I fleshed out this ship. trick to getting high damage is to maximize the use of your torpedoes and you can easily surprise enemy with its almost frontal launch angle(they dont know you launched torps). DD experience will help.

VyFgL4G.jpg

nfN7Qfd.jpg

My opinion doesn't change, though I now know the difficulty of this ship and the hatred for this ship by the general playerbase is not without reason but still, this ship can be handled fairly decently .

P.S.: still waiting for mid tier DD buff.

Edited by Deicide

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

As I said openly at the beginning I'm not that great a player. With my eyesight and coordination I'm perfectly happy playing at the level I do so your attempt to try and humiliate me by bringing up my shit stats doesn't faze me I'm afraid. I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself so fire away sir.

And bully for you doing so well with your 29 hits and three kills. It doesn't change the fact that lots of people are finding it unpleasant to play when compared to ships at the same level. Not everyone plays at the same level and one person having no problem using it does not make everything fine if many more do.

On the plus side though I do give you credit for trying the ship yourself to see if you were right. Thats more than most people would do,

If the ship, or ANY ship for that matter, 'sucks' as you see it, the simplest thing to do is ONLY play it for the double each day. Play other ships beyond that.

By doing so you potentially minimize the number of games you have to play in it, and you also don't start to associate the entire game with the one ship in particular you mightn't like.

What's the rush? Why play it if you hate it? At least it's only low tier, so getting through it shouldn't take all that long, I'd have thought.

Incidentally, I don't think Deicide was trying to humiliate you. I think he was trying the ship himself on the one hand, but also being fairly blunt on the other. If you perform markedly worse than average in most ships, you're not going to enjoy the game much nor find higher tiers a lot better. Plus he pointed out the ship can perform, but it's certainly 'below average' as a playing experience and he found it understandable many might say it sucks. At least that's how I saw it.

None of this is meant as criticism on my part, simply as advice/commentary.

Edited by Steeltrap

29 posts
1,050 battles

Deicide I don't suppose you recorded any of those games? I wouldn't mind seeing how you played the ship to see what I am doing differently and maybe speed up my progress with it.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

If you find a ship you despise, free xp through it. If you don't have enough free XP, then grind through some of it with co-op battles.

[AE]
202 posts
9,500 battles

Chortle - $65?

Over 3.5 years I have spent something like (Conservatively) $2500-$3000 on WoT. ( I love the game, and I have never spent more than $100 on a game before, but to me, who pays $70-$100 for a 1 hour family dinner at Sizzler, the 250000 games I have played seem excellent value (10 cents a game)).

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Chortle - $65?

Over 3.5 years I have spent something like (Conservatively) $2500-$3000 on WoT. ( I love the game, and I have never spent more than $100 on a game before, but to me, who pays $70-$100 for a 1 hour family dinner at Sizzler, the 250000 games I have played seem excellent value (10 cents a game)).

I've put this up before.  But for those that haven't been around since lengxv6 was a recruit and Capt Cook was still a midshipman ;)

After my naval service I was unable to participate in traditional sports, so I had to find something else competitive and that could involve team work (note key word).    I am not a natural gamer (eye hand co-ordination of a house brick and the reflexes of road kill lol) so the WG titles with their simpler controls work well for me.  Spending ~ $100 AU a month, with splurges at times when something I liked came around on something that mostly fills that gap does the trick for me.  Over the time I've been playing (April 2010 CBT WoT prior to EU/NA split) so I'll let you do the maths on roughly my minimum spend ;)

TL:DR spending money on a game is a matter of choice.  Does the game give you what you want out of it?  If you like the rest of the game then go ahead and buy enough doubloons to free xp past that 1 ship you really hate/struggle with.

Back on topic - I've found with this title that if I am really struggling with a ship in the PvP environment then the Co-Op environment is enjoyable enough to work my way past that particular roadblock (with a little help from my wallet at times ;) )

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

I've put this up before.  But for those that haven't been around since lengxv6 was a recruit and Capt Cook was still a midshipman ;)

And if he done what I taught him, he wouldn't have hit the reef!!

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

And if he done what I taught him, he wouldn't have hit the reef!!

Everyone should read a good biography of Cook, such an amazing character. I imagine many wouldn't realise he was selected in no small part due to his brilliance as a cartographer (wonder how many people know he was involved in the campaign to capture Quebec).

And then there's the much-maligned Bligh, who pulled off an astounding navigational/survival feat following being kicked off the Bounty.

WG Staff
606 posts
447 battles

To OP:

If it helps at all... I am having problems with it too... and I am a TERRIBLE warships player, especially when compared to how I play in tanks which I am proud to say I am marginally good at. 

However, I suspect that after much more games, I will learn how to play it. This is the same with the Dresden, I struggled with it but it was a short trip. The Kolberg as well but just before I reached enough XP for the Karlsruhe, however, ended up giving the Kolberg a thumbs up after several ram kills and getting a feel of her guns (No pun intended).

I promised myself I will grind this tree and I am sticking to it. So know that you are not alone in the struggle. In my humble personal opinion, we just have to learn how the ship plays. If it's for me, then good, if not, then next ship after the grind. 

I hope you have good luck with trying out different things with this ship.