You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

Curse of the German Navy

41 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Not saying the Kolberg is cursed, but.....

http://i58.tinypic.com/4g3cau.jpg[/img]

+ 3 more losses on the same ship on top of that

Perhaps the German navy is cursed from never having fully recovered from its peak in WW1, the Kriegsmarine in WW2 while it had some impressive ships was a joke (in terms of numbers) compared to the days of the High Seas Fleet...

But does anyone think the ship itself and its 105mm guns are underpowered?

I swear the Clemson at tier 4 had flatter faster trajectory shots, plus its HE shells deal 1500 damage over the Kolbergs 1200 and the ship appears to be missing its torpedo tubes

Not usually one to rant about ships, but here you go :P

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Go up to the Königsberg and Nuremberg and then rethink your question.

Super Tester
802 posts

Early German tree is very weak. This is due to the treaty of Versailles putting a limit on Germany's post WW1 navy. WG's historical accuracy at its best.

Edited by Counterflak

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Honestly, never liked the low-tier German cruisers. When it's Tier 5 and above, it gets good.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

So far these are my opinions of the germans:

konigsberg is [content removed], annoying monster. In fact, the only ship I'm afraid of at tier 5 while driving a konisberg is another konisberg.
Nurnberg is just a soft upgrade of konigsberg pitted against tier 8 where ships can just shrug off your HE shots and do no damage.Konisberg and nurnberg reminds me of Achilles and Challenger in WoT.

so in general, German ship have [content removed] terrible powder room. I detonated twice on my konisberg. For my first 3 games on nurnberg, I detonated 3 consecutive times in my first 3 games, now imagine that. Then 2 more random detonations.
Purely glass cannon, or should I say, machine gun. their guns are quite accuracte, so accurate that it makes it hard to snipe small to medium sized targets at 16km because you have to be very exact for their plunging shots to hit.
Torpedo firing angle or arcs are amazingly wide and can easily catch other ships in surprise of how you launched those torpedoes without going broadside. I'm still halfway to yorck so no comment.

Overall, they are fun ships and very good for trolling other people, and yourself(detonations and paper thin armor that  means a lot of dying modules specially the [content removed] engine and turrets).

Profanity. Post edited, user sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

Alpha Tester
50 posts
1,391 battles

Just remind you that Tirpitz is German ship as well and I can say that thing is not affected by any curse.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

hopefully not Yubari level glass cannon ships lol, I can't stand that cruisers engine and rudder getting knocked out every hit

He shot in the middle guarantees dead engine for me

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

stuck at the Dresden

the 105mm is just ****

terrible trajectory, it fly up to the outer space when aimed at 6km

extremely difficult to set fire

ultimate low damage, even taking down a DD is difficult

awful penetration, it can only penetrate the citadel of tier 1 german ship

short range, even shorter than the destroyer in the same tier

Unfortunately I still have to face that disgusting 105mm at tier 3

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

stuck at the Dresden

the 105mm is just ****

terrible trajectory, it fly up to the outer space when aimed at 6km

extremely difficult to set fire

ultimate low damage, even taking down a DD is difficult

awful penetration, it can only penetrate the citadel of tier 1 german ship

short range, even shorter than the destroyer in the same tier

Unfortunately I still have to face that disgusting 105mm at tier 3

wait...wut? you are complaining about dresden? are you serious?

this ship has 2 things going for it that makes it the most dangerous tier 2 ship.

Agility and ROF....esp. the ROF. It's out of this world.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

The only ship that I found "bad" was the Karlsruhe (IV) it just feels sluggish compared to the flamethrowers of Kolberg/Dresden. The line definitely gets better at the Konigsberg+

36 posts
2,915 battles

wait...wut? you are complaining about dresden? are you serious?

this ship has 2 things going for it that makes it the most dangerous tier 2 ship.

Agility and ROF....esp. the ROF. It's out of this world.

I loved the Dresden too.  Tier 2 is the only tier where KM cruisers poor damage is more than compensated for by the crazy ROF.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Waiting to reennact the Battle of Coronel (Already have the Dresden, check)...the first victory of the Imperial German Navy (and first British loss in 200 years)

126 posts
2,722 battles

Anyone can have a bad day mate.:teethhappy: I'd love to play historical re-enactments some day, that would be great. Roll on T5 for you though mate, hope you get there soon.

PS: at least you have some German Ships to use, I'll be an old man by the time I get to sail a County at this rate....wait...I'm already an old man.:(

Dan

Edited by Danaussie

3 posts
4,057 battles

T1-2 are good

T3-4 are in hard timeeeeee, especially for T4 SMS Karlsruhe, thats still the WWI one and without any great update since she have been sunk in 1914, 1914!!!!!

T5 up you will feel you are in paradise, but you better put up the -100% detonation flag

621 posts
2,271 battles

Imo the Kolberg is actually pretty fun. While its shells do only 1200 damage with HE, they have a monster RoF. At 4 sec reload (3.6 with Basic Firing Training) and 6 guns per side, it can reliably keep up a steady stream of shells at any given time. Fire coverage is good too, you have at least 3 guns pointing at the target at any given time. My only complaint is there's no torpedoes so it has issues with the bigger ships like BBs and higher tier CAs.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

imo german tier 2-3 shell damage are really bad. i don't mind if they increase its reloading time by a bit as long as they increase its shell damage up to 1500 or more. their armor are so thin and HE spamming cruiser easily rip them off. they also also suffer engine damage a lot.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

as i said before, i really hate the idea of high rate of fire with low shell damage, it only means you have to work  even twice harder to get the same result with other cruiser.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I'd prefer if they kept the gun characteristics of the German 105mm the same as that of the USN Clemson at tier 4 - it's 102mm guns have flatter trajectory and more damage for slower Rof

Edited by Blitzkreig95

460 posts
8,295 battles

I've played up to the T4 Karlsburg so far. Found the ships aren't very durable at all when faced with enemy fire.

The Kolberg for instance has armour thickness roughly between the St louis and Aurora but is significantly easier to kill. The Dresden pwns really well when it is top tier, but anyone in T3 demolishes it quickly. I played a T4 BB (Ishizuchi) recently and found the early german cruiser to be easy fodder.

Looking at the guns I think the HE has lower damage than similar guns on other ships, but larger AP damage. Try firing AP, I did in the Karlsburg at a wyoming with mixed results, sometimes no damage (didn't pen) sometimes around 1400 for a hit or two. Didn't get many citadels (on other ships), likely because of the high firing arc. That being said I did burn down a Kawachi with the kolberg on my own, luckily he wasn't firing at me. It did take _alot_ of hits though.

There are some good points, the speed and maneuverability is excellent. The Kolberg dodges torpedoes very well, I frustrated a CV captain who attacked me repeatedly for no hits. So much so they started dropping them too close for no damage.

which brings me to what I've found these lower tier cruisers useful for. Raiding! I've had a few games where I was able to use their speed to catch a CV (and dodge their fish). With a few div mates we punched through the DDs in the middle of the solomon islands map and got the CV's before the rest of the enemy team could react.  So whilst they don't do really well in the line of battle, they can raid the enemy where they are weak or slip through to get their vulnerable ships. I also quite liked the torpedo arc on the Karlsburg, and I found it relatively more durable and capable, but still not as good as the USN and IJN equivalent.

The main problem as I see it is the durability experienced in the ships is not really a good reflection of the armour thickness and HP indicated in game. The numbers indicate they should be more durable than most people seem to be experiencing, but obviously they aren't. German cruisers in general had quite good protection and speed (as did some of their BBs) at the expense of the size of their guns.

As I see it the main buff required isn't so much a change in the numbers, but a change to make them as durable as the numbers suggest they should be. Then the smaller guns would be less of a problem as you'd get more use out of them. The gun arcs could do with lowering, but you can work around them as they are.