Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shavo

Losing credits at higher tiers

20 comments in this topic

44 posts
2,858 battles

I upgraded from the Pensacola to a New Orleans in the last day or so. I wasn't a fan of the Pensacola...It wasn't bad, per se, but I do prefer playing the Myoko over it without taking into account the Myoko has torps. Anyways, playing with a stock New Orleans hasn't been all that fun, particularly at the end of a battle to see I've lost a heap of credits. It makes me want to play more cautious to mitigate the loss after playing a crap battle, but that's not particularly useful to either earning credits or XP, not to mention it's not helpful to the team. And I can't do much sitting back when my stock ship only has a 14.7km firing range.

I'm left wondering how to play the ship effectively when I don't want to lose a tonne of credits, so I was wondering what people thought when it comes to the thought of something like capping loss of credits or something. I want to continue progressing up the tiers, but at the same time, playing and having to pay for it so steeply doesn't seem so fun. Hell, this is just a tier VIII cruiser, so of course it's going to get steeper if you get yourself in a bad position or cop a detonation or whatever. The grind to get modules and commander skills already seems daunting at times (even more than WoT at a glance), without another obstacle. And I don't want to have to keep lower tier ships to for the sole purpose of farming credits (let alone having to pay for port slots to both keep ships and move up) as that doesn't seem like fun.

And yeah, I know...."Learn to play" and "don't be a noob" and all that crap, but I'm wondering how to keep my head above water at the higher tiers, let alone just treading water.

Thoughts? Strategies? What do other people do? And do you enjoy the higher tiers over the lower/mid tiers?

Alpha Tester
103 posts
1,499 battles

At tier VIII its not too bad as long as you don't choke immediately but this is also where repair costs start to rise. This is the same in WoT as well where unless you do relatively well in a match (say 800+ base exp) you will lose out on credits

Sadly this means you'll still need a lower tier ships to get a good earning but it does not have to be at low tier, mid tier does earn a good net profit and if you have a nice premium ship, that can be a good money earner.

The New Orleans is starting to see the USN cruiser line as a support ship rather than a front-liner like the Cleveland was. If possible, support BBs and use them as cover to pot-shot targets of opportunity by remaining as the second in line and not at the front of the engagement since a lot of ships can end you with one volley. In these higher tiers I do find that many ships start to maneuver more and show their front more so its also harder to get good shots so already distracted enemies are good targets or else prepare for a duel if you choose to engage. Right now supporting ships with AA does not sound fun nor rewarding but sometimes if you start out doing a good AA defense screen some time has passed so you can also plan your next move since all ships that have gone to the front lines should be in battle with someone else and that can give you an opening you need as well.

High tiers imo still need some fixes to be more balanced but the population at that tier even during peak hour is not very high so lets see how the meta sets in. 

Super Tester
516 posts
5,751 battles

Its not an usual thing to start losing credits when you reached tier 8 or higher(except you have premium account). When i play the shimalaze, the tier 10 ship, i always lose more than150000 (i know im noob!!!!)

However, its an WG way for players to pay money for WG . Its only that you go back to lower tier to start earning credits or you pay for the premium in order to have fun in higher tier. They arent working for free, they also need money.if you reached tier 9, i think its time to think back to pay(donate) some money or fight hard in tier 5 

44 posts
2,858 battles

Yeah, I've seen the profit from a battle slim down as I worked up the tiers, but it seems like there is a hard ceiling here. It's just all of a sudden like it's out of balance in a massive way. There's nothing subtle about it. And I know that WG needs to make money to provide the game for us, and they have already seen my cash. Making the assumption I've played this much without giving WG anything back is a little rough. I've bought a premium ship and purchased gold in both this and WoT. I play a few "free to play" games and I don't mind throwing some money their way every now and then for their work and as an appreciation. But I find that completely different to having to continually throwing cash at them hand over fist to just stay out of the red. Hell, I've been gaming for a long time now (I'm 40, and been gaming since owning an Atari 2600 as a kid), and buying games outright is now cheaper than "free to play" games.

And I just had a battle that had 9 battleships on the opposing team, 4 of which were tier X's (3 Yamato's and 1 Montana). There was one cruiser, which was tier X, a tier IX destroyer and a tier X carrier, to round it out. I was vastly outgunned, but luckily in this case, I was playing my Atago. If I was in the New Orleans, I don't know how useful I would have been (and I was playing a support role out of necessity) or how much it would have cost me.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Making the assumption I've played this much without giving WG anything back is a little rough. I've bought a premium ship and purchased gold in both this and WoT. I play a few "free to play" games and I don't mind throwing some money their way every now and then for their work and as an appreciation.

Saw this, lost further interest in what you had to say. This is basically a whale arguing why he doesn't get whale privileges.

Your comparison to games being bought outright is utterly pointless because no one does standalone games anymore, for various reasons. DLCs are here to stay in our gaming culture, although whether or not they should be an obvious cash grab (i.e. too monetised) is another thing entirely.

In addition to that, your whole concept of wanting Wargaming to reward you for spending money in their game is also silly; this is a game that attempts to market itself as competitive for everyone to a certain degree, not the horse-and-carrot vitriol so prevalent in mobile games. People do not need a pat on the head for pulling out their credit cards. I shouldn't be restricted in terms of content for ships/equipment/modules that give me an inherently better stat that I cannot access any other way. As it stands, the top-tier ships require massive amounts of free XP to unlock and credits to grind if you want it ASAP. Free XP by itself requires money to spend to unlock, and (more importantly) they require time to do so, so you still have to put in hours to play it anyway. What you are insinuating would create massive discontent for everyone else.

Your vision of World of Warships would mean a continuous increase in the gap between paying and non-paying players even further as WG created exclusive content for you whales to play with, alienating the rest of the community. As it stands now, everything can be unlocked, premium ships aren't strictly necessary, premium account isn't strictly necessary, you still need to put in your time and effort to grind those ships out (and hence provide an environment for the other 23 players in your match). All the current premium content does is make your grind a little easier. You make mistakes in battles, you will still get punished very severely for it.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

I think that unless you do really well as a battleship or use a CV from tier 8+ you won't lose any money. But this all depend on your luck in battles too so good luck to you sir

CV is definitely the money ship. BB is where you lose money.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

CV is definitely the money ship. BB is where you lose money.

Actually wondering, with the BB repair ability wouldn't the after battle repair costs drop, and since the consumable is free, one only has to ensure they have as much health as possible to reduce repair costs and thus make higher tier games cheaper? (compared to DD's and CA's?)
Edited by Blitzkreig95

44 posts
2,858 battles

Saw this, lost further interest in what you had to say. This is basically a whale arguing why he doesn't get whale privileges.

Your comparison to games being bought outright is utterly pointless because no one does standalone games anymore, for various reasons. DLCs are here to stay in our gaming culture, although whether or not they should be an obvious cash grab (i.e. too monetised) is another thing entirely.

In addition to that, your whole concept of wanting Wargaming to reward you for spending money in their game is also silly; this is a game that attempts to market itself as competitive for everyone to a certain degree, not the horse-and-carrot vitriol so prevalent in mobile games. People do not need a pat on the head for pulling out their credit cards. I shouldn't be restricted in terms of content for ships/equipment/modules that give me an inherently better stat that I cannot access any other way. As it stands, the top-tier ships require massive amounts of free XP to unlock and credits to grind if you want it ASAP. Free XP by itself requires money to spend to unlock, and (more importantly) they require time to do so, so you still have to put in hours to play it anyway. What you are insinuating would create massive discontent for everyone else.

Your vision of World of Warships would mean a continuous increase in the gap between paying and non-paying players even further as WG created exclusive content for you whales to play with, alienating the rest of the community. As it stands now, everything can be unlocked, premium ships aren't strictly necessary, premium account isn't strictly necessary, you still need to put in your time and effort to grind those ships out (and hence provide an environment for the other 23 players in your match). All the current premium content does is make your grind a little easier. You make mistakes in battles, you will still get punished very severely for it.

That wasn't what I was saying, or intended in any way. My comment there was directly in response to the post directly before this one where it was said "They arent working for free, they also need money.if you reached tier 9, i think its time to think back to pay(donate) some money or fight hard in tier 5". I was simply saying that I have put money into play back towards Wargaming in response to that quote. If it came across differently, that's my mistake. I haven't done so so I could pay to win. Nor have I done so to get "rewarded" for things I haven't put time or effort into. I have paid them money for exactly what I bought and nothing more. In this case, a ship I wanted and gold to use in the game. I'm not going to get into an argument about what I meant and/or failed to get across. But I do think you've misunderstood all I was trying to say (and that could very well of been my inability to communicate this properly). Apologies. I was not in any way saying that because I'd sent money Wargaming's way, I should have an advantage anywhere. I guess I just used a bad comparison to "old school" style of gaming.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Actually wondering, with the BB repair ability wouldn't the after battle repair costs drop, and since the consumable is free, one only has to ensure they have as much health as possible to reduce repair costs and thus make higher tier games cheaper? (compared to DD's and CA's?)

BBs and CVs have higher repair bill. Even with BB's repair skill, BBs are meant to take a lot of damage. And when its comes to the repair bill, it all comes to how much HP(tonnage) you lost and the tier. BBs shots also doesn't earn as much as torpedo hits from my DD or HE spam from my CA, and obviously not as much as any CV.
Edited by Deicide

Super Tester
1,310 posts

this stand from non-premium point of view

u could get minus credit starting at Tier VI (if u got killed first at the start of the match before u can do anything) . but at Tier VI and VII. with a little contribution. ur income still a way bigger than ur lost. so u could still rack some profits.

at tier VIII. 

u could still got some profits (ranging from several thousand to almost hundred thousand). if u are playing good, u can get about 100k profit. if u play average (dealing 40-70k damage), u could expect small profit/even out/small lost, just dont play bad*(and hope u are not unlucky)

PS: i am not saying that u have to be good etc. what i mean with play bad is small contribution to battle by any reason. for example. getting detonated at start of battle or being gank-banged by several TB at start of battle and get sunk before u could deal average damage is bad game(for ur creds)

the real Minus Field started at Tier IX.

u need really good game to even out ur lost or getting small profit if u are get damaged to high or get sunked. playing an average game is no go anymore (expect minus income)

at Tier X.

i need to pay 325k repair+ammo cost (no flag) for my Yamato if she got sunked (expect some more if i decide to put camo or premium consumable). in several game with my yamato. i only manage to get profit twice. and its just small profit o.O

-------------------------------------------------------

the best bet if u dont want to pay for premium or premium ship is :

save some (maybe 2) tier V/VI ships that u are really good at to farm credits

Edited by ReNation

Alpha Tester
50 posts
1,391 battles

I will name 3 ship for that: hosho, minekaze and Cleveland.

Minekaze get a big nerf but dont mind that, less scary but still dangerous. 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

this stand from non-premium point of view

u could get minus credit starting at Tier VI (if u got killed first at the start of the match before u can do anything) . but at Tier VI and VII. with a little contribution. ur income still a way bigger than ur lost. so u could still rack some profits.

at tier VIII. 

u could still got some profits (ranging from several thousand to almost hundred thousand). if u are playing good, u can get about 100k profit. if u play average (dealing 40-70k damage), u could expect small profit/even out/small lost, just dont play bad*(and hope u are not unlucky)

PS: i am not saying that u have to be good etc. what i mean with play bad is small contribution to battle by any reason. for example. getting detonated at start of battle or being gank-banged by several TB at start of battle and get sunk before u could deal average damage is bad game(for ur creds)

the real Minus Field started at Tier IX.

u need really good game to even out ur lost or getting small profit if u are get damaged to high or get sunked. playing an average game is no go anymore (expect minus income)

at Tier X.

i need to pay 325k repair+ammo cost (no flag) for my Yamato if she got sunked (expect some more if i decide to put camo or premium consumable). in several game with my yamato. i only manage to get profit twice. and its just small profit o.O

-------------------------------------------------------

except carriers. Even losing getting destroyed, I can get profit from my midway albeit dealing 120k+ damage.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

except carriers. Even losing getting destroyed, I can get profit from my midway albeit dealing 120k+ damage.

oh yeah. i forgot about carriers. they could still get some profit due they have chance to deal some serious damage to enemy before get sunked

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

If you don't want to spend money, don't bother playing high tiers. What's all that different at high tiers anyway?

Either you think the game's worth a premium account or premium ships, or you don't.

If not, then the obvious conclusion is not to bother playing past tiers 6-7. From what I've seen posted by others the balance issues are as prevalent there as anywhere, it's just they're going to cost you unless you're on the favourable side of it.

USN CAs were under-performing  at 7 and up anyway, so you'd be better playing IJN CAs if you want to play CAs (Zao performs much better than DM which is pretty funny in reality based on the stats I saw for the server).

32 posts
2,644 battles

Except if your a line hugging cheat then you get rewarded

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

"He who lives in hope dies farting".

Believe it or not, that comes from a book called "The Official Rules" which is an entertaining collection of nearly every 'rule' or 'law' ever heard of (such as Murphy's, etc). Seemed as relevant, lol.

Sign in to follow this