You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shavo

Wow....Just....Wow (low tier games)

29 comments in this topic

44 posts
2,858 battles

So I log on to play a few quick battles with the new ships and damn, it left me speechless. From the guys going up the middle of the map yolo style, to being team killed by torps that never had a chance of hitting anything but teammates. It was just so different to the tiers I usually play as (tier 7 or so). That was to be expected, of course. I just didn't expect it to be so "night and day" different.

Now I need to work up the tiers again. And likely get torped repeatedly by Tenryu's on my own team a lot.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

In the low tiers all ships are potential enemies, it just that you should be only killing the red ones.

+1

Although to give you a +1 just isn't enough for how true that is....

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

#Rules number 1 for Low tier Battle.

[Do not ever trust your teammates.]

#Rules number 2 Low tier battle.

[Do not ever and ever get close to a ship with Torpedo's.]

#Rules number 3 in Low tier battle.

[Do not put high hopes in your team]

#Rules number 4 in Low tier battle

[Try to do as much maximum damage as you could.]

#Rules number 6 in Low tier battle.

[Get to a mid tier ASAP!]

149 posts

#Rules number 1 for Low tier Battle.

[Do not ever trust your teammates.]

#Rules number 3 in Low tier battle.

[Do not put high hopes in your team]

#Rules number 4 in Low tier battle

[Try to do as much maximum damage as you could.]

#Rules number 6 in Low tier battle.

[Get to a mid tier ASAP!]

i beg to differ abt rule 3.....low tier games are fun especially in tier 4.....

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

i beg to differ abt rule 3.....low tier games are fun especially in tier 4.....

low tier games are fun especially in tier 4.....     

Tier 4 is mid tier not low tier lol.:great:

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

I'd rather be close to them sometimes though, like almost trading paint close....at least the torps don't have time to arm and hit harmlessly, it's when they're about 1-3km away is when it's deadly.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

Rule 7:

Get the St Louis and Spam the Pile o'guns at everything (HE for everyone!)

:great::izmena:

I'd rather be close to them sometimes though, like almost trading paint close....at least the torps don't have time to arm and hit harmlessly, it's when they're about 1-3km away is when it's deadly.

:unsure:

55 posts
3,922 battles

Does WoWs have a team damage system like WoT?  That is, a certain amount of team damage and you get a suspension?  The reason I ask is that instead of spending half the battle dodging torpedoes from morons in my own team, I am tempted to let the torpedoes hit me and the idiot take the penalty...

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Does WoWs have a team damage system like WoT?  That is, a certain amount of team damage and you get a suspension?  The reason I ask is that instead of spending half the battle dodging torpedoes from morons in my own team, I am tempted to let the torpedoes hit me and the idiot take the penalty...

yes it does and no that doesn't help ;)

The system will pick up if you deliberately drive into the path.

55 posts
3,922 battles

Not saying I would deliberately get in the path, I just won't get out of the path when some idiot behind me fires torpedoes that have no chance of hitting an enemy ship.  I would just play as if they hadn't launched the torpedoes.  It's tough enough fighting the ships on the other team without having to allow for the incompetence and complete imbecility of your own team.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

:unsure:

My point being I'd rather have someone launch friendly torps at me where I can either a) attempt to dodge the majority if not all or b) at a range they won't harm me. I'd prefer none at all like everyone else but you should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity (thank you Vinnie Jones :P )

EDIT: or if they are planning to launch torps, in my general direction at least some kind of warning....square boxes don't count...

Edited by ADM_dude

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

I smell BS here.

The system is about as much use as [redacteds] on a bull.

It is entirely a failure at effectively preventing team damage/killing. We've had this discussion elsewhere.

WG ought to release the details of the system. EVERY detail.

"Oh, but people will game it" I hear people cry.

ONLY if it is designed badly enough that it's readily gamed.

I suspect the reason they don't advertise it is because of that, and even they'd be embarrassed if we could see in detail how useless it is.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Sometimes there are things not worth knowing.

Add to that the fact that disclosing the intricacies behind the formulae and we'd see so many copycats spring up...

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

^

I prefer knowledge over ignorance. I can always decide it isn't important once I have it.

And your 'fact' about copycats isn't a fact at all, it's an assertion on your part. Not sure what you mean by copycat unless you mean of the entire game, which is just silly in the context of discussing such a tiny part as the team damage/kill system.

Edited by Steeltrap

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

DMW is correct, I was the one who tested it (well, got caught out by it) if you turn into friendly torps once the torp alarm goes off, you get penalised, not the fireing ship. Your ship locks up and you slowly die.

I have not tested this again for several patches, however I think many of the bug reports about inability to control a ship is caused by this

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

DMW is correct, I was the one who tested it (well, got caught out by it) if you turn into friendly torps once the torp alarm goes off, you get penalised, not the fireing ship. Your ship locks up and you slowly die.

I have not tested this again for several patches, however I think many of the bug reports about inability to control a ship is caused by this

But if I'm turning towards friendly torpedos to try and avoid them, and still get hit...that's not really fair...

However I do understand the theory behind it just seems a little flawed but then again we can't have everything.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

^

I prefer knowledge over ignorance. I can always decide it isn't important once I have it.

And your 'fact' about copycats isn't a fact at all, it's an assertion on your part. Not sure what you mean by copycat unless you mean of the entire game, which is just silly in the context of discussing such a tiny part as the team damage/kill system.

It's not easy to argue in the case of ignorance; we, as humans, prefer to know everything. I know I do. But in some cases, with what I know about the mechanics of the game, I realise now how little I knew before, and how much there is left to learn now. It's to the point where sometimes I do not grow anxious over what else is there to learn; I simply generalise most of it to dice rolls, and learn to make the best of bad rolls and to ride the good rolls.

Wargaming, like it or not (in your case), have no reason to release everything there is to know about the game. Presumably, it is for the same reason why all calculations are done server-side. You should know. You're a data analyst. Copy-cats do exist; look at Utopia (text-based game, very, very old), look at their decision to release everything about the game's mechanics to the public, and see how many imitations has that spawned.

Lastly, as an afterthought, what could you hope to gain from formulas that have some basis in RNG? You have an equation, which is completely impractical to you until you input some numbers in the equation based on a die (or dice) roll, by which then the shots are already out anyway (for instance).

Edited by Haku

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

It's not easy to argue in the case of ignorance; we, as humans, prefer to know everything. I know I do. But in some cases, with what I know about the mechanics of the game, I realise now how little I knew before, and how much there is left to learn now. It's to the point where sometimes I do not grow anxious over what else is there to learn; I simply generalise most of it to dice rolls, and learn to make the best of bad rolls and to ride the good rolls.

Wargaming, like it or not (in your case), have no reason to release everything there is to know about the game. Presumably, it is for the same reason why all calculations are done server-side. You should know. You're a data analyst. Copy-cats do exist; look at Utopia (text-based game, very, very old), look at their decision to release everything about the game's mechanics to the public, and see how many imitations has that spawned.

Lastly, as an afterthought, what could you hope to gain from formulas that have some basis in RNG? You have an equation, which is completely impractical to you until you input some numbers in the equation based on a die (or dice) roll, by which then the shots are already out anyway (for instance).

We were discussing the TEAM KILLING/DAMAGE aspect only, I believe. Releasing THAT is not going to do anything other than how it works, and, if it works properly, then releasing it won't matter anyway. Hence my conclusion that, other than WG's general paranoia about releasing things (to the point 3rd parties do it instead, so maybe part of the reason they don't is because other will anyway...smart on one hand, depressing corporate attitude on the other), their reasons for not doing so are the inadequacies of the system.

Or is someone seriously going to say the TK/Damage system works a charm as a means of stopping that behaviour? With a straight face?

As an aside, I used to play Utopia as far back as the late 1990s. I built my own Excel spreadsheet to model a province well before they brought out all the agents because it was an interesting exercise (how all the things interacted) and a good way to learn the game, too. Win all around for me.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

But why would you turn into them to avoid them?

Well, depending on distance and spread sometimes turning in results in less hits or even a lesser chance of getting hit, you could turn away as well....i just prefer to turn in if I think it's gonna result in a better outcome...