Sign in to follow this  
jchen8792

What is the number on reticle is?

10 comments in this topic

423 posts
3,175 battles

I got a question about the number on the reticle that currently trouble me, and I'd like to ask you guys about it.

Well, in the pass, I often overcalculate the number on the reticle, for I think they are mildot. So my calculation often bears the target length into it, as the result I often miss target and only hit by intuition, not by actual calculation. Same goes with MOA.

However, I currently looking at iChase Captain video and notice that he often lead his aim on target by alligning the number on the reticle along with ToT in second. He didn't mention much about it, but I felt it this way.

So that question really really troubled me. And I would love to know the answer for it so from now I could finally being able to land my shots not purely by intuition like before.

Many thanks!

Cmdr. Chen

14 posts
556 battles

I also wondered about this too, but sometimes it doesn't make sense. I too am intrested,

for example if the shell velocity says it will take 5 seconds to hit do you have to aim the 5 mark on the front of there hull(edge etc.)

47 posts
679 battles

hmmmm.........

I'm not really sure about this, but you could try playing as a cruiser ( that have great reload time ) and try firing some shots at different distant ahead of the enemy. Sorry if I'm no helping much cuzz I'm having trouble with my wifi router right now( means that i can't play WoWs for a few days)

1,230 posts
2,418 battles

Well, the num indicates range and shell flight time isn' it, just to give u a brief idea how to aim

If u wanna land shots precisely, u need to play a CA, to train your aim.

Personally, I don't use these numbers, I can land my shots within the 2nd salvo, and that's all by training

As for the mark line, it' useless unless the enemy is moving parrarel to u, but it does give a good idea

Stevie, u start by playing BB, which i won't recommend, becuz long reloads and u can' really train, how to aim

CA is ideal

Edited by Conkhead_12

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

There is a thread on this, and how to find the firing solution.

Hope this helps. And there's another thread hidden in there somewhere, also quite helpful, i searched but couldn't find it.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

423 posts
3,175 battles

Conk, I didn't mean the number on shells time on target or the range. These are purely, well, information that only pop up when you're pressing Alt key. What I really wonder is about the number 5, 10 on the reticle itself that showing something. Yes, and about their unit of display as well (mil, or MOA or like I often seeing guys doing that, this is purely time-on-target leading clue). But since I have no idea about it, and didn't have enough solid evidence to confirm about that. So I'd hope to be provided by you guys. Many thanks :honoring:

WSDT4uh.jpg

Edited by jchen8792

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

It functions the same as the marks of a rifle/tank scope.

You use it to gauge where your shots land then adjust the mark until you shots straddle the target.

Example:

You and target ship are in parallel engagement, you line up your target on 5th mark, fire a salvo but shot lands short of the target (in front). You then adjust your aim now to put 4th mark on target and fire again. Repeat till shots straddle target then keep firing at that mark.

Note this is just an example.

Most of the time ships wont always be parallel to you so you got to do some adjustments as you go, but those marks serve as a reference to where you should be aiming and how much to adjust.

It might sound like alot of work, but over time once you are accustomed to your shot time to target. Gauging shots and landing salvo isn't so hard and becomes second nature.

Edited by Windforce

423 posts
3,175 battles

^ to a cruiser that is easy, but to a battleship, then firing in volley isn't an option.

I already got the "feel" now, I can lay down almost accurate shot at cruisers and battleship from 10 clicks up and 5 clicks up to destroyers, but still, a bit of calculation isn't slowing you down.

But really, the reason I want to do it is to get rid of the "feeling" shots. Of course what I really want to know is whether the reference between speed, time on target, range and stuffs on the average ships moving across the horizontal line to my point of aim; and too bad, there's no training room for me to doing some experiment with that...

So once the training room is out, I'd be more likely to try these, and put up the result on this section to help out the other newbies; but for now, nothing yet...

Sign in to follow this