Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
war4sure

Test driving the next ship in line

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Just as I'm about to sleep suddenly my brain thought of this idea, which makes me awake for yet another half an hour.

Kinda nice if we could test drive the next ship without unlocking it.You can only test drive the next ship, which for example if you have Furutaka then you can only test drive the Aoba,though on tier II & III CA you can try out the DD,CA and BB and on tier IV BB, try out the CVs.Preferably on the Ocean map with some target to practice with.This would be very useful because it give us some basic knowledge about the ship's capability,what you should(and shouldn't) do with it,and helps reduce the new ship syndrome. Which is particularly bound to happen if the next ship behaves differently from the other ships in line, like Kuma to Furutaka(CLT to CA),Nicholas to Farragut( torpedo spam to gun spams) and so forth. 

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

There is place where i do my sea trials- Co op battles.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

There is place for sea trials- Co op battles.

Nah, it's more like a "Trial" just like in that game.

You may not have unlocked/bought the ship, but you can choose to "Test Drive" it and it will allow you test out how it handles.

And there will be some static targets for you to get a feeling of the ship.

Edited by Alvin1020

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

But xp is 'research'. By gaining enough xp, you research the new ship, hull,etc.  

How can you use a thing if you have not developed it??  It's like saying, "Tomorrow I will drive a futuristic car that does not exist".

If you want to see how a ship performs, wait till the public test server is running, then you can use all the ships you wish.

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

But xp is 'research'. By gaining enough xp, you research the new ship, hull,etc.  

How can you use a thing if you have not developed it??  It's like saying, "Tomorrow I will drive a futuristic car that does not exist".

If you want to see how a ship performs, wait till the public test server is running, then you can use all the ships you wish.

I prefer trials instead of waiting for test servers. More immediate and convinient

Also this is a game. Who needs realism when you can test  ships you haven't yet researched but curious about how it performs.

Edited by war4sure

Super Tester
1,310 posts

this will kill the research system for sure,

think about it. u dont need to grind 350k exp at izumo to get the trial of yamato.

so what the purpose of those exp grind then?

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

this will kill the research system for sure,

think about it. u dont need to grind 350k exp at izumo to get the trial of yamato.

so what the purpose of those exp grind then?

You still need to research the ships. The test drive are meant to let players get a hang on their new ships so by the time they actually unlocked(and bought) it, they got some ideas about the strategy and gameplay styles that best suited the ships. Think about this,you spent some time in the Nicholas and unlocked Farragut thinking they plays the same only to realize that Farragut depends more on it's guns than it's torps while Nicholas is complete opposite.If you could test drive the Farragut you will know how to use it effectively so by the time you actually unlocked it and entered a battle for real you have all the knowledge on the ship's combat capability.

1,923 posts
4,018 battles

You still need to research the ships. The test drive are meant to let players get a hang on their new ships so by the time they actually unlocked(and bought) it, they got some ideas about the strategy and gameplay styles that best suited the ships. Think about this,you spent some time in the Nicholas and unlocked Farragut thinking they plays the same only to realize that Farragut depends more on it's guns than it's torps while Nicholas is complete opposite.If you could test drive the Farragut you will know how to use it effectively so by the time you actually unlocked it and entered a battle for real you have all the knowledge on the ship's combat capability.

And they will be some players said this ship is sux and won't defitnely research and buy it in the end we end up

lots of the tier that people stopped buying so you want that kind of situations in here??? Simply killing the research system

for this game??

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
42 posts
1,414 battles

lol at people claiming "XP is research", I think you guys need a dictionary.

A test drive would have nothing more then a ship you can select to use in a very confined way to see if is the direction you want to go.

Hypothetically if I put in 50 hours into a line only to find out I dislike playing said ships, then why I would happily invest another 50 hours into a another one not knowing if I would enjoy it?

Stop acting like such a simple and proven method in increasing peoples enjoyment in the vehicle they chose will suddenly implode WoWS.

Edited by Nutkase

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
42 posts
1,414 battles

And they will be some players said this ship is sux and won't defitnely research and buy it in the end we end up

lots of the tier that people stopped buying so you want that kind of situations in here??? Simply killing the research system

for this game??

Do you think once they research it and dislike it they will keep playing it anyway?

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

lol at people claiming "XP is research", I think you guys need a dictionary.

A test drive would have nothing more then a ship you can select to use in a very confined way to see if is the direction you want to go.

Hypothetically if I put in 50 hours into a line only to find out I dislike playing said ships that I would happily invest another 50 hours into a another one not knowing if I would enjoy it?

Stop acting like such a simple and proven method in increasing peoples enjoyment in the vehicle they chose will suddenly implode WoWS.

Finally someone who understand what was this test drive feature is for.

In fact, ever wonder why WG let you sail around in Ognevoi and Konisberg before it is even released before a few days ago? This.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Finally someone who understand what was this test drive feature is for.

In fact, ever wonder why WG let you sail around in Ognevoi and Konisberg before it is even released before a few days ago? This.

WG was data mining for performance!!

But aside from that, I agree, it would be good. Maybe lock it so you can only test drive a ship twice and have it stock (that way you will not be disappointed)

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

How the ships worked in a live game. Normally we would have a public test with all the new ships, but for some reason, it was decided that one ship from each line would be available, also tested the new rewards systems.

295 posts
501 battles

Who said test drive = take the ship to PvP battle? Sure it will be a player+AI vs AI battle or a shooting range.

Idea copy straight from war thunder. And it is a fantastic idea not to let player wasting time to grind a ship.that sucks. And maybe letting player test ALL SHIPS will be batter

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

And maybe letting player test ALL SHIPS will be batter

Testing all ship from the beginning is a little overkill though.

You still gotta start from low tier first.Imagine testing a Tier X ship right away from start and thinking all ships leading to it plays the same,not knowing somewhere down the line they changed abruptly.This is where most of the "OMG this sheep sux" whines come from.

Sign in to follow this