You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
x1xReaverx1x

Ever wonder if RNG is out to get you.

65 comments in this topic

Super Tester
197 posts
2,404 battles

I have a feeling that your win rate isn't a true indicator of your skill.  I have 2 seperate accounts with 2 seperate emails on 2 seperate servers.  On this account my win rate is 44% and getting worse, as i push into teir 6.  on my other account i have a 53% winrate.  Ahh you say because your ships are lower.  Not at all, on my other account i have a tier 8 and my winrate has been consistant since tier 1.  I am following same trees on both accounts.  On both accounts i mostly pug so divisioning aint it.  I have a good hitrate with 20 to 50+ hits from BB guns on my alt account, yet on this account i have a hard time breaking 15 hits per game.  It leads me to a conspiricy.  If all other things are equal, then it must be the way the game treats the two seperate accounts.  One RNG is good with, the other RNG hates.  Both accounts over several hundred battles so shouldn't any random aspect have averaged out if RNG is truly random due to the size now of my battle pool in each server.  By the laws of averages, both accounts should  be within a percent or two at most.  So why such a huge difference when all other factors are the same????  Conclusion, RNG must have a bias against one or both accounts.  Mr Spock said, if all logical conclusions are excluded, then the remaining conclusion no matter how illogical must be the truth.  If this RNG hypothosis is true, and the game is deliberatly biased against some accounts, then why???

Call out Scully and Mulder :amazed:  

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

My Ibuki has a lower average damage statistic than Spawnster (or example). Despite that, somehow I'm winning many more games than him.

This issue was discussed at length on the World of Tanks forums:

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/57822-weve-gone-through-wr-then-wn7-wn8-and-finally/page__pid__1394031#entry1394031

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

In WoT they have skill based mm and rng. Today 9 shots in my O-I. 2 hits 1 pen.

With my tier 6 HT gun, I hit a tier 5 medium tank panzer 4, and the AP failed to pen. 

Then a light tank tier 4 set me on fire. The player had a 43% WR.

The game was rebalanced to improve gameplay for reds. In WoWS I don't think they have initiated this code yet, but I get bad MM and terrible rng with 47% WR.

I think the stat thing is broken though, because I lose 6-9 battles per 1 win. 

350 posts

In WoT they have skill based mm and rng. Today 9 shots in my O-I. 2 hits 1 pen.

With my tier 6 HT gun, I hit a tier 5 medium tank panzer 4, and the AP failed to pen. 

Then a light tank tier 4 set me on fire. The player had a 43% WR.

The game was rebalanced to improve gameplay for reds. In WoWS I don't think they have initiated this code yet, but I get bad MM and terrible rng with 47% WR.

Wut? Did that actually happen?

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I did read at one point a WG bulletin from Russia, about rebalancing, however they did not go into the detail that I did regarding the rng algorythym modification in the game coding.

Head Office in Russia had a crisis meeting some 8 months ago and their list of concerns went thusly:

1). experienced players putting new players off WoT by "seal clubbing" them in lower tier battles.

2). the high number of "red" or terrible players who were now playing tier 10 battles, and ruining the gaming experience for the good players.

To rectify this WG introduced:

1). low tier MM fix consisting of not matching experienced players with new players in battles.

2). a new algorythym in the rng which makes a battle more "exciting and fair", by giving a red player a higher chance of critical damage/ fire/ penetration etc, than an experienced player. Let's call it a handicap.

This means a red player (from xvm) can now become a reliable team mate in those crucial battles.

I don't play WoT much anymore due to this "rebalancing" as my skill based MM and rng is NOT favoured to me, however I find reds a more dangerous opponent than ever before.

95% of my MM battles, enemy has extra top tier tanks, 4% my teams have even numbers of top tier tanks, 1% of battles my team has more top tier tanks.

There are also horribly unbalanced stats I have gathered on my MM for arty superiority, frontal armour superiority etc etc. 

Let alone the stats I have gathered to show the rng balancing that favours the poorer players. It's glaringly obvious, and you will notice a lot of the unicum players have left the game.

It's because rng won't let them be as good as they were.

350 posts

Any game will have a natural attrition rate, unicum or not. I played WoT on NA from JUN 11, transferred to ASIA in OCT12 and by early 2014 I'd really had enough, so at 14500 battles and 62% w/r I killed the account. This account I am on now was a mate's account, I did play WoT a bit last year and maybe early this year, just enough to get his overall w/r from 45% (lol) to where it is now, at which point I lost interest again. 

Super Tester
509 posts

I don't wonder about it because I know its out to get me =P

Last night was a nightmare I went 9 losses in a row in my BBs then 2 wins and I was getting 1500+ xp for the loss =\ Sometimes MM just sticks you with all the "special" :child: players

18% WR FML!

Edited by Vyviel

Super Tester
197 posts
2,404 battles

I did read at one point a WG bulletin from Russia, about rebalancing, however they did not go into the detail that I did regarding the rng algorythym modification in the game coding.

Head Office in Russia had a crisis meeting some 8 months ago and their list of concerns went thusly:

1). experienced players putting new players off WoT by "seal clubbing" them in lower tier battles.

2). the high number of "red" or terrible players who were now playing tier 10 battles, and ruining the gaming experience for the good players.

1). low tier MM fix consisting of not matching experienced players with new players in battles.

2). a new algorythym in the rng which makes a battle more "exciting and fair", by giving a red player a higher chance of critical damage/ fire/ penetration etc, than an experienced player. Let's call it a handicap.

This means a red player (from xvm) can now become a reliable team mate in those crucial battles.

I don't play WoT much anymore due to this "rebalancing" as my skill based MM and rng is NOT favoured to me, however I find reds a more dangerous opponent than ever before.

95% of my MM battles, enemy has extra top tier tanks, 4% my teams have even numbers of top tier tanks, 1% of battles my team has more top tier tanks.

There are also horribly unbalanced stats I have gathered on my MM for arty superiority, frontal armour superiority etc etc. 

Let alone the stats I have gathered to show the rng balancing that favours the poorer players. It's glaringly obvious, and you will notice a lot of the unicum players have left the game.

Wouldn't suprise me at all.  Ive noticed on my US account that i get critted more even though im angling and hitting the opponent more then hes hitting me and he is broadside on.  This isnt to do with aiming because getting hits at 15k+ is good aiming not specific locations.  At close range i shoot AP at waterline and wait for them to turn broadside on keeping angled as much as possible yet im the one who gets citadeled by on or two hits per volley and im landing 6 hits or so aimed at waterline under turrets and no cits :(.

The fight comes down to the wire with me usually sinking them through hit point attrition.  Makes it exciting i can see that but also very frustrating.

On Asia server i just plain miss even with straddle after straddle and catch fire at the drop of a hat.  i still wind up with 10 to 20 hits per game but on US server its usually alot more.  Then the rest of my team dies like flies.  Im a very aggressive player so if theyre dying on mass b4 me, theres a problem. 

Overall i definately feel there is something out there that is regulating my performance rather then skill.

Beta Tester
908 posts

Wouldn't suprise me at all.  Ive noticed on my US account that i get critted more even though im angling and hitting the opponent more then hes hitting me and he is broadside on.  This isnt to do with aiming because getting hits at 15k+ is good aiming not specific locations.  At close range i shoot AP at waterline and wait for them to turn broadside on keeping angled as much as possible yet im the one who gets citadeled by on or two hits per volley and im landing 6 hits or so aimed at waterline under turrets and no cits :(.

The fight comes down to the wire with me usually sinking them through hit point attrition.  Makes it exciting i can see that but also very frustrating.

On Asia server i just plain miss even with straddle after straddle and catch fire at the drop of a hat.  i still wind up with 10 to 20 hits per game but on US server its usually alot more.  Then the rest of my team dies like flies.  Im a very aggressive player so if theyre dying on mass b4 me, theres a problem. 

Overall i definately feel there is something out there that is regulating my performance rather then skill.

You are right to sense something.

I have had played 2500 games in CBT. Close to 2000 games now. Many times I have had upwards of 5 shells hit out of 9, zero crits. Not unusual to see matches of 60-70 shell hits in a BB for zero crits. It doesn't matter how well you aim, if the server doesn't want to give you the crit, it just doesn't.

I am sitting on a big chunk of free XP, 10000 away from Iowa. The MM decides to put me on bad teams, 5 games in a row for losses. I refuse to use my hard earned free XP for that last grind. It wasn't unusual for me to get 3-4k xp games prior to being close to finishing.

There is more to RNG than this game. There are actually mechanics that gimps your account, for you to burn free XP or give other crappy noobs a chance.

What is funny is, if you look at one of the skin camos. -4% accuracy of the ship shooting you. Well lets be honest here, how do you think this will programmatically work? It cant work on every ship shooting you and -4% to its RNG?

Its obvious at hit detection to -4%. Well if they can do that here, than they can rig you out of a citadel no matter how good you aim.

This game has so many dodgy mechanics behind the scenes. Theres so much shenanigans being played. Really puts of some people with decent skills.

Super Tester
197 posts
2,404 battles

So in reality "Win Rate" in this game is largely irrelevent when it comes to deciding how good a player is.  It seems like it is a false stat padded by mechanics to create a "handicap" if you will.  I would say this is taken on performance information taken by the server such as aiming performance, timing, amount of evasive manouvering and use of cover to figure out a true players worth.  this handicap may possibly then be applied to the Matchmaker and RNG in game putting handicaps on good players in order to let new players not get so clubbed and also to give bad players higher winrates...........

And the conspiricy grows and if this is true, then in reality  "Win Rate" means nothing.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

My Ibuki has a lower average damage statistic than Spawnster (or example). Despite that, somehow I'm winning many more games than him.

or you play more platoon?

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

I don't do DPs...much.

Of the total number of games that I have, probably about 3-4 of them are divisions for the Ibuki.

I just play, and I have fun doing it. It just so happens that I win 62% of my games overall.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Hmmm, I've always said RNG is BS and I've always hated it and always said it ruins the game.

There is a lot of hidden stats within both games (WOT,WOWS) that players just don't know about.

One day you can get wins in a ship or tank then next day you wont be able to get wins in that same ship or tank and your skill as a player wont help you at all because MM and RNG are out to get you.

25% RNG has always been way to much.

In tanks how many times have you had a enemy tank In open ground no cover at all and yet you cant either damage him or kill him or hit him at all?? and then you get players who use cover and hide behind cover and all u can see is a tiny small very small amount of the tank but yet you mange to hit it ? .

There is no consistency in the game at all.

and I have noticed that every time you get close to getting the next ship or close to getting the next module  for that ship (usually about 90% complete) it becomes really hard to win and it was the same in Tonks with crew skills etc

406 posts
6,287 battles

Wg belieb that by balancing out the game, they improve the enjoyment factor of it for the majority, even if a minority up and leave the games, (unicums who notice).

Let me put it another way - if you are programmatically altering the game play to give one person an advantage of another (all other factors being equal) then how is that any different from someone who uses cheats/hacks? You could argue that by being built into the game that it is a game mechanic and not an exploit - but I'm afraid I don't see it that way - I accept a bit of RNG for the sake of balance and game play, but I don't accept being penalized for simply playing well or better....

How does one work to improve ones game (positioning, tactics, aim, teamwork) if one can do all of these things perfectly yet thanks to an RNG system that penalizes them for doing what they should be - not be victorious?

If the issue is seal clubbing in lower tiers, with experienced players taking out lower tier ships (I like to take the St Louis out every now and again for its pile o'Guns fun times) then restricting the RNG to JUST that ship, rather than the player as a whole would seem much fairer (not that it matters in the St Louis because Pile o'guns shoot Pile o'shells) - although I still disagree with this.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

I find it interesting that people think that RNG changes depending on factors such as :what ship they are playing

What their win rate is

Who they play against

What phase the moon is in

How many aliens are invading earth this week etc.

Please continue -

Super Tester
197 posts
2,404 battles

lolz just pointing out the difference between my 2 accounts.  On US account i have a 53% win rate.  Does that mean im a better player then you??  No.  On Asia server i have a 44% winrate.  does that mean im a worse player then you?? Once again....  no.  I play both accounts using the same tactics and ships, some times i even forget which server im on so differing play style isnt the answer.  My skill level doesnt change do to where im logged in....  Ive played well over 150+ battles on each server so by the laws of averages, they should have evened out.  So what is the factor then that makes such a huge difference???

I don't know, but it makes me curious.  What my experiment proves is that Winrate is in NO WAY a definative indicator of the abilities of the player in question.