You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aerroon

Captain Retraining Is Too Hard (At 18+ Points)

29 comments in this topic

424 posts
14 battles

Captain retraining becomes way too difficult at 18+ skill points. Captain retraining experience seems to be related to the amount of experience required for the next level of the captain skill. To get from 18 skill points to 19 skill points it takes 10 million experience. Captain retraining at that level then takes 5 million experience. Even if I halve it with the 200k Academy Training it will still take 2.5 million experience. This amount is simply too much just to retrain the captain.

Why? Because to train a new captain up from scratch to 18 points would take something like 1.4 million experience. Thus, you really can't retrain 18 skill point captains without spending doubloons as getting a new captain levelled up will be FASTER.

What do you guys think?

Video as proof:

424 posts
14 battles

I don't understand what you mean? Yeah, the info's been out there for a long long time now. I noticed this on the first day of the PTR test for 0.4.0. But I want to hear about what others think of this issue.

Clearly this doesn't work properly, because it literally takes less experience to get a captain from scratch to 18 points than it takes to retrain an 18 point captain even if you lower the amount by 50%. That simply seems like a massive oversight.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

It's a simple economy thing.

WG are out to make some money out of the game after all.

You have the "choice" on how you retrain your CO - yes the XP option is slower - but it is free.

If you want faster retraining you pay the 500 doubloons and don't suffer the penalty.

424 posts
14 battles

It's a simple economy thing.

WG are out to make some money out of the game after all.

You have the "choice" on how you retrain your CO - yes the XP option is slower - but it is free.

If you want faster retraining you pay the 500 doubloons and don't suffer the penalty.

Slower?

I don't think 2.5 million XP is realistically "slower". There really is no other option than to use doubloons.

Super Tester
509 posts

Whats BS is that you cant retrain the captains skills for anything but gold. What if I picked a skill thats wrong and I am happy to sacrifice some xp to get back his skill points like in WoT. Nope no silver option.,:amazed:

Super Tester
509 posts

Well... Just choose the right skills for your captain at the first place.

That's genius dude, I shall go back in time 900 battles to when I was new and tell my past self which are the best skills to aim for:rolleyes:

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

That's genius dude, I shall go back in time 900 battles to when I was new and tell my past self which are the best skills to aim for:rolleyes:

That's why we need Testers to make the sacrifice so we don't have to.

44 posts
6,340 battles

OMG. Shame on WG, they should work on the game all day for free and take a begging bowl onto the streets at night so we can everything we want for nothing. Man, wait until some of you kids have to support a family, then you'll really have something to moan about.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

My opinion. The commander training is really hard honestly. It's fair & you'll get used to it in the long run.

You got options anyway. If you can't spend doubloon in first place (stare at 10,000 doubloon on your youtube account), you have the option to pay 200k credits or plan ahead for that certain ship.

But dude, why would you want your fully trained 18-points skilled commander from Hakuryuu to be placed in Aoba in the first place? :P

168 posts
5,678 battles

I agree with the OP, it's broken.

No matter how you try to justify it, it should never cost more XP to retrain a commander, than it would take to level up from scratch to the same skill level.

Even without spending a single credit, retraining should still be the faster option.

How much XP does it take to retrain a WoT crew?  Only 20%, or 10% with credits (assuming you stick to the same type) and the number of skills don't matter.

There's still enough incentive for people to spend gold if they want to hurry things along.

Actually, there should probably be a sliding scale for retraining costs depending on how much XP it will save.

I also think WG would actually get more people spending gold on retraining if it was slightly cheaper to do so.

It feels like the current pricing is mainly to prevent captains from swapping ships too much.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

you better train a new ones than retrain using silver. unless using doublon.

Thanks for the idea. Now that I think of it, your captain perks are more important at at lower tiers and specially you are new. Once in high tiers, you can compensate some of these skills by your own skill and experience. Has anyone calculated up to which tier retraining is feasible over starting a fresh commander?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

you better train a new ones than retrain using silver. unless using doublon.

this is basically my plan for gearing. i will keep fletcher because she's great and will just retrain new captain for gearing. that why i need sims for grinding.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Thanks for the idea. Now that I think of it, your captain perks are more important at at lower tiers and specially you are new. Once in high tiers, you can compensate some of these skills by your own skill and experience. Has anyone calculated up to which tier retraining is feasible over starting a fresh commander?

No idea... i stop at tier 7 right? that is why we never div using tier above 7

this is basically my plan for gearing. i will keep fletcher because she's great and will just retrain new captain for gearing. that why i need sims for grinding.

yeah.. the greatness of prem ships is that you can use 1 commander on both ships.

i really wish i can use my old phoenix using that cleveland commander without re training...

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

i really wish i can use my old phoenix using that cleveland commander without re training...

Wargaming commanders are noobs, they forget their old training as soon as they find a new ship. Heck I still remember the rhyme I learnt 15 years ago.... :D