You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
onionpeel

In a nutshell: To those who have complained

13 comments in this topic

4 posts

I haven't read many posts (complaints) about torpedos, carriers and battleships, but read enough to have gotten the general theme.

It's clear to me that the designers have put huge effort into making this game as accurate as possible while still retaining the fun aspect. In WWII, a ship could sail for days before finding an enemy ship, if at all. The game design has obviously had to make real life a lot more playable and fun than that!

Players have negatively commented about the items above (amongst other things), but if the truth be told, the issue is how the game is being played. Back to reality: Aircraft carriers almost never sailed alone. Likewise for battleships. Why would you do something different in this game and expect favourable outcomes?

Military conflicts are just as much about communication and following instructions as the weapons being used. This game is no different. And to put it simply: The challenge in WoW is equally balanced between the skill factor in using your ship of choice and your ability to work with your team.

United we stand, divided we fall.

724 posts
2,179 battles

I haven't read many posts (complaints) about torpedos, carriers and battleships, but read enough to have gotten the general theme.

It's clear to me that the designers have put huge effort into making this game as accurate as possible while still retaining the fun aspect. In WWII, a ship could sail for days before finding an enemy ship, if at all. The game design has obviously had to make real life a lot more playable and fun than that!

Players have negatively commented about the items above (amongst other things), but if the truth be told, the issue is how the game is being played. Back to reality: Aircraft carriers almost never sailed alone. Likewise for battleships. Why would you do something different in this game and expect favourable outcomes?
Military conflicts are just as much about communication and following instructions as the weapons being used. This game is no different. And to put it simply: The challenge in WoW is equally balanced between the skill factor in using your ship of choice and your ability to work with your team.

Best post I've read all day,here have a +1. :honoring:

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

if your looking for 15 strangers thrown together being picked "randomly" from a pool, and getting them to work together inside of 20 mins, for a period of 20 mins,

you've come to the wrong place.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

If you design a game to be balanced around a form of game play that doesn't exist in 90% or more of real game play instances you've not balanced it.

As for the rest I'm sure it was profound, so much so I failed to appreciate it.

47 posts
679 battles

I also agree to you. Teamwork is a very important factor in this game. Like in real battle, every one have their own role in this game. For example Battleships that have serious fire power and armor have their role to engage enemy cruisers and other ships while also leading the fleet and the team.

p.s. great post! +1

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

partly agreed

yes teamwork is the most important in this game

but if there's something that can be easily defeated 1 on 1

while there's another thing that can only be defeated by the cooperation of the whole team

obviously, one is UP while the other one is OP

that's the problem of balancing

4 posts

And how does one achieve this thing called 'teamwork' when the responses I get in chat in 99% of battles consist of either nothing or [][][][] [][] [][][]?

Let's say you take your battleship into a battle with a few more enemy destroyers than you feel comfortable having and lets say that nobody listens to your suggestion to move or attack in a certain area. The smart move would be to stick with your fellow cruisers and battleships, no matter how badly you want to do 'your thing'. There is safery in numbers, whether you are talking to other players or not. First of all, in a group, you might not always be the ship(s) targeted. Secondly, you are bound to get some fire support. You don't always have to be the leader in a battle, you can follow and support other ships too. And that is your choice.

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Yes, my 21kt BB does a great job of keeping up with CAs and DDs.

:sceptic:

Whomever has the greatest mobility is the one who chooses where and how they contact the enemy, and how much support they have.

Pretending otherwise is simply incorrect.

Don't know about you, but my usual experience is the CAs charge off and get spotted by enemy DDs then come under fire from BBs and evaporate. If I play DDs, I wait for that to happen so the field is clear to get through the lines. It's really that predictable.

So, yes, it's true that 'combined arms' trump anything else, especially in a rock-paper-scissor simplistic design; you don't want to run into enemy scissors if you're in paper, for example, unless you have some rocks with you to throw at them. Do people play as though they grasp that? Generally not.

Edited by Steeltrap