You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RalphTheTheatreCat

Unable to start WOWS

21 comments in this topic

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

OK chaps,

So  I start the WOWS launcher and my game only goes as far as the spinning anchor animation and no further.  I tried the same with my ST account.  Same issue.  WOT Asia. Same issue. WOT NA. Same issue.

I don't use mods.

I deleted all game files and reinstalled WOWS

All games are permitted by my firewall.

The only thing that has changed since I last logged in was that rather than running a Motorola surfboard model and Belkin wireless router, I now use a Bigpond gateway max.  I have switched it off as restarted it since trying to log into the games and nothing has changed.

Now it is only WG games affected.  I load into the 4 other games which are not WG with no issue?

Any ideas?

qXqYsUT.jpg

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I used to get that. However, it was always a mod issue.

Have you tried a different screen resolution or full screen play?

Have you run your direct X diagnostics?

Any driver/firmware updates recently?

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

As stated.  It is not just WOWS, but every WG game.  DXDIAG shows no errors.  No driver/firmware updates.  Tried wows in framed, tried wows st in full screen. Same applied to wot asia and na.  Did not change screen resolution.

Super Tester
630 posts
9,481 battles

Maybe some info here might help your issue? (yes I'm aware its for WoT and WoWp)

I usually have this issue after an update and I had some mods that don't work anymore as what @krieg just said above me.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

check the new router doesn't have a firewall built in and turned on full by default.

It may well be blocking the UDP ports (2200?) the game uses, whereas the launcher uses http/s and will normally be let through.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

Well I can get onto the ST server but still not the main server.  Modems firewall settings are off by default.

I also turned off my security programs firewall and still couldn't log into the game from the launcher.

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

Tried as admin.  Tried launching from wows.exe rather than launcher.   Nothing.  My ISP provider confirms my modems ports are not blocked.

Im buggered if I know what to do.  I have no idea what support will be able to do.   I've never seen this problem before.  I might even post it on the wot forums .  There may be a bigger audience to look at it.

10 posts
2,741 battles

Having the exact same problem . I have tried everything including removing programs that have never caused a conflict before but updated since sunday .

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

hmm, OK this may be a long shot:

DL the installer again.

Re-install to a new location (as admin)

Get the launcher to start updating (as admin).

Stop the process.

Copy /Updates from old to new

Restart the new launcher (as admin).

If you have any broken packages the installer should pick them up.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Mate that sounds firewall/av type problem if all WG titles experience the issue.

double/tripple check you have them all off and give it another go (don't forget windoze will turn it's firewall back on if you turn your av firewall off)

10 posts
2,741 battles

I can not log into WOWS Asia at all but I installed the mod that allows logging in to the other servers as well and guess what NA works fine , can't get near WOWS Asia . sounds like it's not my computer to me .

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

Update.

Awaiting support to confirm it is nothing on their end once the check the dxdiag, preferences.xml and python log.  if nothing comers of this then I'm going to have to do a crash course on port forwarding for the new modem as this seems to be the problem.

10 posts
2,741 battles

My modem and router are unchanged yet I have the same problem it seems . I have not had support even read my ticket yet and it was put in 4 days ago . I have done everything in my power that the various forums suggest and the only time I have logged into a game server successfully has been when I installed alsains mod that allowed me to log into other servers besides Asia . Managed to log into NA so my computer is likely not the problem .

10 posts
2,741 battles

I run AVG pro and i have a nighthawk r8000 router and a belkin telstra supplied cable modem . running windows 10 (yes i know it is crap but hey i've dealt with microsoft virus operating systems for 2 decades . 

I have all the exceptions in the AVG to allow communications , my router has no ports blocked that i can tell and i even tried connecting with the on router firewall disabled . 

Literally last time i had this issue it was a problem with my video driver not having application controlled in every aspect of the driver and that is not the case anymore . I have tried every fix under the sun and a few that i figured i may as well try . Windows 10 hates my system and i hate it so i'm even their . Tried running it in compatibility mode for win 7 and no luck might try XP just for giggles . 

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

So.  Still not running

WG answered the ticket and it is not on their end.

On top of all other things Ive tried I have:

tried with windows and bitdefender firewalls off and antivirus off.

deleted firewall rules and re-added them.

Flushed DNS and winsock.

Confirmed that modem does not block ports.

ISP reckon(not confirmed) it is the NAT settings on the new modem, but wont deal with it at normal support level.  This costs the princely sum of $120 for a one off consultation (No solution no fee, is the only sweetener0

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

So.  Still not running

WG answered the ticket and it is not on their end.

On top of all other things Ive tried I have:

tried with windows and bitdefender firewalls off and antivirus off.

deleted firewall rules and re-added them.

Flushed DNS and winsock.

Confirmed that modem does not block ports.

ISP reckon(not confirmed) it is the NAT settings on the new modem, but wont deal with it at normal support level.  This costs the princely sum of $120 for a one off consultation (No solution no fee, is the only sweetener0

NAT?  umn why are you NATing on a home service?

PM me mate and we'll have a look at this off line

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

It took nearly a month and several tech calls but it seems I can now log in and play.

The modem that Bigpond uses was too strict to allow the access and it eventually had to be bridged to get the connection to WOWS.

Now I've just got to cure my BSOD in wot..............