Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

What's so bad about the Ranger ?

8 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Why does everyone hate the Ranger ? I actually do enjoy playing the ship because I don't have to deal with any 3/1/1 Ryujo captains. I am aware that War Gaming still ignored the fact that the Ranget need a buff because she is completely outclassed by the Hiryuu because of their 2/2/2 loadout. I actually find the Ranger enjoyable at times because the Ranger's torpedoes bombers actually feel pretty tough and I am still able to one shot many ships with my 6 torpedoes bombers. I actually haven't get to unlock the Ranger's Dive bombers yet so I can't really talk about it. The Ranger fighter is actually pretty good in my opinion. Of course it can't really stand up to the 2 fighters squadrons that the Hiryuu have. Well to be honest I think that tier 7 is where most US CVs captains realise that their fighters squadron will be mainly be used as sacrificial units and they are meant to hold enemy planes back so their attack planes can drop their payload (does not exactly apply to Lexington). But yeah can anyone tell me why does everyone hate the Ranger ? Thank you

1,820 posts
8,020 battles

Why does everyone hate the Ranger ? I actually do enjoy playing the ship because I don't have to deal with any 3/1/1 Ryujo captains. I am aware that War Gaming still ignored the fact that the Ranget need a buff because she is completely outclassed by the Hiryuu because of their 2/2/2 loadout. I actually find the Ranger enjoyable at times because the Ranger's torpedoes bombers actually feel pretty tough and I am still able to one shot many ships with my 6 torpedoes bombers. I actually haven't get to unlock the Ranger's Dive bombers yet so I can't really talk about it. The Ranger fighter is actually pretty good in my opinion. Of course it can't really stand up to the 2 fighters squadrons that the Hiryuu have. Well to be honest I think that tier 7 is where most US CVs captains realise that their fighters squadron will be mainly be used as sacrificial units and they are meant to hold enemy planes back so their attack planes can drop their payload (does not exactly apply to Lexington). But yeah can anyone tell me why does everyone hate the Ranger ? Thank you

I can't hate Ranger, because those F4Fs are mostly Hellcats.. also a Fighter Squadron of 2 of them is devastating (still on independence though)

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

How can I provide something like that? I see people bashing the Ranger all the time in the forum though

Well you state that 'everyone' hates her.

So far the poster above me and you, say that you dont hate her. I don't hate her.

That's 100% of peeps on this thread that don't hate her already.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

From what I see, the rangers 2/0/2 load makes its playstyle similar to the Bogues air superiority loadout so it looks to be useful in achieving air dominance and annoyance (fires from DB's), but not game changing. Only up to the Indy, and even on that ships balanced loadout its not really a massive game changer from my perspective.

Appears to be a solid ship, not special but looking forward to playing with a CV that won't run out of planes for once :)

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I hate the Ranger :hiding: 

Although it's the highest Tier Carrier I have in CBT and I play a ton of games in it - and I don't really hate it either back then - UNTIL Hiryu was introduced.

The main thing is, it gets literally no upgrade from the Independence, and the opposition it face is extremely stronk. Also the ship "Itself" got worse as well, You're much slower (In fact it should have ~25 knots speed historically - WG buffed it already), Much larger profile yet just as S____ armor, ever-so slightly better AA (Which really doesn't matter anyway), get spotted earlier.

Ranger is even more of a pile of rubbish, because you have nearly Zero Upgrade from the Indi. Same loadouts, but just Slightly upgraded fighters/bombers.

Meanwhile, on the Hiryu, they still had that 3/1/1 (Is it 3/1/2? Whatever thats not the mainpoint), And an even bigger problem is it's elite loadout is 2/2/2, meaning it can pin your fighters down for a while and let her bombers go to work un-opposed. It's Absolutely horrific.

Say you win that fight, then? You have 2 Dive bomber squadrons which is pure RNG whether they hit. Oh and the Hiryu by now is rearmed and coming again.

And if you choose 1/1/1, I bet you lose to the 8 fighters (2 Squad of 4 figters) every time in the week. So I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Alvin1020

Sign in to follow this